Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 10:50 PM

142 posts, read 362,684 times

Advertisements

So I'm a weather nerd and it looks like we could get a prolonged (2-5 day freeze) next week, I bought a house with a pool, chlorine, not salt, installed in the late 90's. It has the temp sensor to activate the pumps at 33 degrees. Will I really have to have the pool pump on for five days straight? How will that affect my electric bill if I do? Would it work to instead have a heater in the "pump room" which is an enclosed area at the side of my house? Any advice would be welcome. What did ya'll do last year during the ice event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,097 times
It's not so much about the pump as it is about the pipes and parts like the skimmer that have small amounts of water in them that can easily freeze and expand. It's really important to keep the water running the entire time -- I actually run ours when the temperature falls below 38 degrees, and have hardly noticed the impact on our electric bill. To be honest, every year we go through this I totally stress out, but have never had any damage. Electricity is WAY cheaper than a pool repair. Once you just accept it as a winter cost it hurts less. I promise.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:20 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,761,174 times
I agree. Leave your water running. We have an automatic timer also and that is a huge plus instead of having to manual turn it off and on and check it constantly. As the above poster mentioned, having a higher electric bill is better than a pool repair. We have not noticed a big difference in our electric bill either.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:01 PM

113 posts, read 393,070 times
Pool repairs = 1,000 plus 1,000 plus more 1,000. To run the pump cost maybe 3 bucks a day extra. I would run the pump all day if needed to avoid any pool repairs.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Two things..... Your pump will have a thermostat that kicks on the pumps around 36-37 degrees to prevent it from freezing. Make sure that's working.

Change your pumps from running during the day to running from 12-7am in the morning during the winter. This prevents your pumps from running in the day then running at night when the temperature drops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth