Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we live in Mansfield or Grapevine/Colleyville
Mansfield 2 20.00%
Grapevine 4 40.00%
Colleyville 5 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM

15 posts, read 53,305 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We currently live in North Ft. Worth and work down town Ft. Worth. We have 3 kids and the oldest one just started kindergarten this year. As our oldest kid enters school we quickly finds out that the school district we live in - particularly the elementary school we are assigned to is not the greatest in the area. We are planning to move, we've worked in both Dallas and Ft. Worth so we thought that maybe buying a house in between the 2 cities would be wise. We've heard good things about mansfield ISD and great things about Grapevine/Colleyville ISD. We are looking for a house with a detached guest quarters below $500K..if you've lived in those 2 areas please let us know what your thoughts and opinions are. Thanks advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
you won't find something with detached guest quarters very easily since there are usually restrictions that don't allow that type of construction as an add-on to the house
something like that is pretty common in other areas of the country like back east or in California
there are garage apts in areas of Dallas where there is maybe 400-500 sq ft of living space but most subdivisions in Tarrant county don't allow people to rent out garage type apts so there is not lot of construction of them...in nicer areas
not saying there are not any--but that your ability to find one is going to be much more limited than finding a home in your price range per se...

there are some homes that have had area above the garage converted into some type of apt in Colleyville and Keller and Southlake but lot of times the garage is built on same slab as house vs detached garage
few lots are large enough to have something like that on the ground as separate bldg unless it is a half acre or so
the only type of floor plan I have seen in newer construction that allows for something similar is where there is separate "casita" on one side of the driveway--when the garage is farther back than normal--and you drive through an archway/opening to get to the garage

Personally I would rank other NE Tarrant districts as high or higher than Mansfield ISD but Mansfield has good schools

Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
We were in the same situation years ago, considering the same choices, and bought in Mansfield because the housing price was better and the lot was larger. However, later realized if we had spent more for a house in Grapevine (to get a similar sized house) our house payment would have been the same because taxes were higher in Mansfield. Always regretted choosing Mansfield over Grapevine because the schools are more highly regarded, as is Grapevine in general.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 AM

I will PM a home with guest quarters above the garage--in north part of Keller--in your price range

should have looked at that home more closely--would not have sent it--
lots of land to run up the price--house itself is overpriced and needs lot of work--not something I would recommend althought that area of Keller has some expensive homes on acreage...just not this one--

Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 AM

295 posts, read 948,939 times
Maybe just me but I would not compare Colleyville to Mansfield. They're just not in the same category in my mind and not apples to apples.

If you're looking at Colleyville maybe it's worth looking at Southlake. If you're past those two and not convinced by what 500k will buy, then yeah, move onto Grapevine and Mansfield.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 AM

check out MLS 116494176 903 Brian Ridge in Colleyville--
more expensive but much better candidate--has large lot
neighborhood is older, trees are mature,
this is close to Hwy 26--and Brown Trail Dr.
both can be used to get to Airport Frwy and downtown FTW
have friend who lives in subdivision across Brown Trail from Saddlebrook--it is nice, well-maintained neighborhood

Bransford elem is top notch as is the junior high
lots of restaurants/shopping/

MLS 11609128 in Southlake also has a "nanny/grandparent suite" over garage but think it is entered through the house vs detached entrance
fewer overall bedrooms as well

ran search for homes with min 4/3 and from 375 to 500K
you might search a little higher and hope to bargain down but most people who are selling in Colleyville and Southlake are not going to drop prices by more than 5% unless they are in real distress--

Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
agree that the "detached" guest quaters will be hard to find in Tarrant county under 500k.
However, I would pick Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake and Keller all over Mansfield.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks for all the feedbacks...you guys have been great!

I would love to buy a house in Southlake for Carroll ISD is top of the line...but we can't afford it....500K is already "stretching" it for us.

From what I'm hearing the guest quarters is hard to find and almost impossible to get with my price range....I was just thinking....if I buy a house with a detached garage and turn it into a living quarter...wonder how much more it would be. But if the house in a neighborhood with HOA...they prob won't let me do that? :-( Also, would I have to go thru the city to get approval for a "building permit" to turn the garage into a living area? If I don't get a building permit...would they fine me if they ever find out?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:31 AM

I sent you the direct MLS link for that house in Colleyville-
I don't know why the detached guest quarters are so important for you but yes
depending on the neighborhood and the town you would definitely have to get approval from the city and pull permits to add that much space above a garage--and likely would have to get approval from the HOA in the neighborhood as well
I have rarely seen a garage that has enough space overhead to let you build living space w/o having to raise/rebuild the roof--
you would also have to run plumbing and electric to serve the unit--you can't do that w/o drawing some attention...

not to say you would be turned down by either one if you applied for the permits/permission
but you would have to meet code for your addition -- in all aspects--

and again--if you are charging rent for that space you would not be allowed to do that in almost any area where homes are that expensive

if you would use it for someone like a live-in nanny and give free rent as part of the employment arrangement, I don't know if that would make a difference to the HOA...not many neighborhoods with homes at/under 500K have live in help like some of the larger 1MM+ homes might in those neighborhoods

do you have this living arrangement in your current home--detached guest quarters?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM

We live with our in laws so the detached guest quarters or a guest quarters with separate entry would give them some privacy. From the sound of things it's almost impossible to get a house with a guest quarters for less than $500K.

I found this house on realtor.com for $350K in grapevine...do you think it's a "good" buy?
3045 High Ridge Dr Grapevine TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11407641 - Realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth