Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times

Advertisements

Okay, so here it is: We're from Austin - single mom, two kids, only my kids aren't that little.

I will be taking my 18-year-old son and 20-year-old daughter for what could potentially be our last vacation for a while as a family July 2-5 in Fort Worth.

The boy is leaving for Marine Corp boot camp on July 11, so after that, his time will belong to Uncle Sam, not us. So, as they say, the pressure is on: I want this to memorable and fun as our Texas vacation (we normally go to West Texas, but a request for "some air conditioning and reliable plumbing" is being honored). Later, when we get to see the boy graduate his program in San Diego, we will take a couple of days to look around, but as we all know, California just ain't Texas. And we love our state.

Something about us:

I have raised good, liberal, nerdy people. I have to say, both of my children have become people I genuinely like having around. They are funny in a very nice, not mean-spirited way. They are very open and accepting of others. They enjoy musuems, art, music (the boy plays old-timey fiddle AND was in the fine arts academy orchestra here, the girl is an art major at St. Edwards University)

I know we want to catch the Rangers game on July 4 (we are long-time Rangers fans, the kids have been following them since they can remember), so our Sunday night is set. We are arriving Friday evening.

There is almost too much to do/see/eat/drink from what I can tell.
So, help a mama out! What do you recommend? Where should we start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,680 times
Fort Worth Museums
Amon Carter Museum | An American Collection | Fort Worth, Texas
Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
https://www.kimbellart.org/index.aspx
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History |

Fort Worth Japanese gardens
http://www.fwbg.org/japanese.htm (broken link)

Last edited by RockyJoe817; 06-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Where are you staying? I highly recommend staying in downtown Fort Worth so you can walk to Sundance Square and the restaurants, etc. We love the Hilton downtown.

If you haven't gotten those Rangers tickets, do it NOW! July 4th game almost always sells out!

Defintiely go see the Kimbell.
Have lunch at the Modern Art Museum's cafe. (VERY good food!)

What other kinds of food do you like?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM

269 posts, read 575,219 times
Fort Worth Stock Yards, lot's to do there and some culture too!.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
there will be other fireworks displays--try to catch one where the FTW symphony plays

since your son likes fiddle music make a stop at the Stockyards in north part of FTW and do some of the country/western stops like the White Elephant
maybe see who is at Billy Bob's that Saturday night
check out what is at Bass and at the rehearsal hall across the street--sometimes you get lucky and there is good music happening at one or the other--vs play or performing act

agree that staying in Sundance/downtown would be my choice but there are some neat hotels in Stockyards as well

Joe T's in north FTW is place with lively patio action but the food is just not very good--people go for the margaritas and they aren't that good IMO either

there are some wonderful restaurants in FTW--Reata in Sundance has great food with Texas theme and great views from their rooftop deck
Ellerbe's has gotten nation recognition
the Brownstone is supposed to be very good
those are more upscale and "foody"

there are other just good restaurants around
we like Daddy Jack's--there is good sushi place close to that--if you like sushi
Picci Pachi has cleaned up its act

if you are going to eat at the Ranger game you don't really need restaurant recommendations for Sunday night but Piccolo Mondo in Arlington very close to the stadium is excellent family Italian restaurant with great food and service--very quiet usually so you can actually carry on a conversation and eat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: