Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 AM

85 posts, read 174,572 times

Advertisements

The packing has officially commenced! This is my mantra for the next few weeks, so I thought I'd pass it along to anyone else stressed out over moving. If you don't really, really need it, really, really love it, or really are never going to use it, get rid of it!!

I've moved a lot in my years here on Earth. My dad was in the military and then I married a military man, so this is the first time I'm doing it, with kids, on my own, and man, is it stressful!! I always try to take a high stress situation and turn it into something positive though, so I'm using it as an opportunity to cleanse myself of all the clutter! It's amazing how much one can accumulate over 5 years, and I've also found that the bigger your house is, the more stuff you accumulate to fill it. Am I really going to need the boogie boards in Fort Worth? Nope. Even if I love them, I'm never going to use them, at least not for the next 8 years, so out they go.

Anyhow, I know this isn't related to the forum, so I apologize for jumping in with a non-Fort Worth thread. I just know there are a lot of people moving and wanted to offer some advice that is helping me. See you all soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,807,929 times
The countdown is officially here for you, how kewl is that!!

Agree about discarding; I try to do it here all the time. Hate opening cupboards and finding things I have not used for a decade. I give things away on Craigslist free all the time when I'm too lazy to make a trip to Goodwill and I just want it out NOW! There are always takers b/c one man's trash is another's treasure.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,946,079 times
I have move so much in my life I've lost track....(Dad Govt) Married military and now he is govt!
So, it has always been a part of my life. I actually really enjoy it! I get very restless when I have lived some place for too long!

Moving is very cathartic for me! CLEAN OUT, I am a pack rat and tend to hang on to stuff...moving is a good way ofr me to get rid of stuff!! Plus I love seeing new areas and places.

This area is very good place for kids, good schools, low crime, lots of activites etc...
it's not our end all be all but it has been a very good place to land for a few years!

Good LUCK AND YES ....clean OUT!!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 AM

358 posts, read 1,081,349 times
You guys are making me jealous. I've been in the same home for 15 years, with no plans to move. I was a military brat and moving often was in my blood but my husband's headquarters is local and he plans to stay with his company until he retires. BORING!!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:41 PM

425 posts, read 1,001,956 times
I'm also from a military family, and moved a lot when I was a child.

When I got married, our biggest move was from Australia to the US. We pretty much sold or gave everything away. We moved countries with only 6 boxes worth of personal possessions. In the 18 years since then, I've acquired quite a bit, so that when we moved from Chicago to Texas last year, our stuff filled 1/2 of a semi trailer - the difference between the two moves was that in the first instance, we paid for everything else, and last time around, everything was covered by my employer.

Good luck with your move!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
the difference between the two moves was that in the first instance, we paid for everything else, and last time around, everything was covered by my employer.

Good luck with your move!
It's so nice when your employer covers the costs! I get some reimbursement, but it's only going to cover about half the expenses of a truck, so I'm trying to whittle that down and make the costs less. Hopefully the next time I move my employer will be the one footing the whole bill. That's how it was with all the military moves, so I never really had to think about things.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 PM

168 posts, read 617,790 times
I'm jealous! We won't start packing for about 4 months. We've moved about 13x in the last 11 years, so I have it down to a science, but it is a good opportunity to clean house. Even though the last move was just a year ago (by the time we leave) I know I'll have bags of stuff for Goodwill.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Pshew boy! Did the garage yesterday. Seriously, I think all Californians use their garage as an oversized storage shed (myself included!) I narrowed half a garage down to about 20 boxes. Whoo hoo! 3 truckloads to Goodwill and probably about a whole dumpsters worth of trash. Maybe I'm going a little overboard on this purge thing. Nah. Now I'll be able to park in the garage in TX when the hailstorms come! LOL

Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM

168 posts, read 617,790 times
Jeny: I know what you mean re garages & California. I remember moving there and asking DH: Why do you have a sofa and a TV in your garage? LOL The neighbors had a pool table in theirs. Some people I knew used them as an extra bedroom.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM

37,503 posts, read 60,412,769 times
was watching TV last night and saw commercial about how personal items were growing and growing and crowding this family out of their house--
what was the response---garage sale, pruning out useless items, GoodWill---naw

Just rent a Storage Shed and keep collecting dust with all the stuff you don't use/need...
American mentality unfortunately
and I have stuff in one of those sheds and just can't get motivated to clean it out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth