Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,277 times

Advertisements

Just found this wonderful forum and thought I'd share my story, get some reactions, listen to opinions, etc. Get comfortable and read on.....

I have rediscovered my first true love. We were high school sweethearts - literally - and most of our peers (and even our parents) thought we'd wind up married to each other eventually. Well, it didn't quite happen that way.

"Linda" and I drifted apart after high school. I joined the military, she found other interests, and we both wound up married to others. By the time I got out of the military we were both married and raising kids. But we were thousands of miles apart, living seperate and very different lives.

A chance email from ClassMates.com brought us back together, and we reconnected about a year ago just to see if there was still a "spark". Turns out that spark was more like a glowing, hot ember. We've both been dealing with elderly parents, and on a recent trip to Arlington to see my dad, we spent three hours lingering over dinner and catching up. It was the nicest evening out I can remember, and continued back at her place. We talked about life, walked hand in hand around the park, watched a movie, had some wine...... I gave her a shoulder massage, then we drifted off to sleep. In different beds. We didn't need to prove anything to ourselves by having wild monkey sex on the first "date" - we already know the sex is as about good as it gets. I was on Cloud Nine just spending time together.

This woman has always cast a spell on me, from the first day I spotted her at school. We are both older and wiser now, but I cannot get her out of my head. Our kids are grown, so we are now "empty nesters". Her parents have passed, and my dad will not be long on this earth. I guess you could say we've both realized our own mortality, and have decided to make the best of the years that are left. The connection goes much deeper than physical, though - we are, quite literally - soulmates.

We are making plans to live out our lives together, as comfortably as possible. I'm preparing to retire early from civil service, before the State of MI goes broke, so I must work a few more years before collecting a full pension. Before the snow flies in Detroit, I hope to come "home" and begin looking for opportunities in the mid-cities area.

If anyone knows of a career position for a seasoned 9-1-1 operator and certified training officer, professional digital photographer, technical writer, policy wonk, blogger, or something similar I'd be interested to know. I've got a slew of varied experiences, and I do not get rattled under pressure. Doesn't have to be top-of-the-scale union wages I've become accustomed to, but enough to keep groceries on the table and flowers for my new bride would be nice A work-at-home writing assignment would be perfect.......

If you've ever wondered what happened to that "first love", don't be afraid to look. You just might find it when you least expect it. And when you DO find it, don't let it go. Cherish it. We never know how much time we have on this earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Very sweet and touching story! Sorry I can't help you job wise. Just wanted to wish you and your bride to be many years of happiness. Same thing happened to me and it was such a relief to finally be with my soul-mate. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Default There is a name for that...

Some people do not believe in it, but that, my friend, is called fate. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Some people do not believe in it, but that, my friend, is called fate. Good luck.
Ha ! Love the screen name ! This whole journey is a bit surreal to us both. There was a party going on at her apartment complex - a community cookout, of sorts - and as we walked around the grounds holding hands I could almost feel the stares of the other women, as if it was obvious to all how deeply in love we were..... or maybe it was just my imagination. Everything seemed to be just how we imagined it might someday be, if that makes any sense.

We've had almost a year to talk about all of the "stuff" that life can throw at you, and I'm still amazed at her ability to read my thoughts and know where my head is at. One thing we agree on - we've spent too many years apart not to take advantage of the opportunity to be together. I cannot say the years were "wasted" since we've both managed to raise some awesome kids to adulthood in spite of marriage problems.....but I often wondered how our lives might have turned out differently had we not drifted apart some 25 years ago.

I knew the deal was sealed when we were discussing our parent's health problems and she said "I'd rather have them live forever than have a penny of their money". Linda even offered to go over to my dad's house and help with household chores, if needed. She's not a wallet-sniffer type, and that's a good thing. My dad likes her 'cause she's pretty easy on the eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth