Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,855 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Cedar Rapids, IA and are relocating to the Ft. Wayne area to be closer to help with sick father.
We are an inter-racial couple with an infant. We live in a nice neighborhood with good schools and very close to amenities. We would like to find an area that would be diverse, active, yet low crime and easy commute. We will be renting and would like to know some nice places that have more than 950 sq. ft. We need space and would like to eventually purchase another home after we get settled. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 AM

625 posts, read 1,811,655 times
Indiana and more specifically Fort Wayne, is known to get a lot of bang for the buck for home prices. Fort Wayne has many safe areas, but I wouldn't recommend residing in the southeast quadrant of the city. Your best best would be the northern portion and northeast portion of the city. As far as houses, I do know of any but I am guessing you could get a steal.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,855 times
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. It looks like the northern part of Ft. Wayne is what we were looking at as well. Not going to purchase until we get settled and established to be sure of the exact location we really want to plant our feet.
Hoping we can find something affordable to rent with some space. See alot of them are 900 sq. ft and most of the one's that are more seem a bit high in price. Is that the norm for the rental's around Ft. Wayne? We could almost rent a house for that. Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Renting a house in Fort Wayne is average at best. There are a lot of houses on the market for rent, but many of them are not sufficient for a family because of size, location, etc. A lot of people buy houses because it is a better purchase in the long run; however, I definitely understand that you don't want to rush into it. Are you looking at houses for rent or apartments?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
If I may jump in - we are also relocating, and we are interested in West Central. Unfortunately, we must decide on a home rental before we move, from a distance. Ideally, we would like something with wood floors, some character, and within walking distance of a playground and a library - different characteristics but likely the same type of places as Smiles30 is looking for. We have found such a home in West Central (on College Street), but I just looked up the address on the Sex Offender Registry and am horrified by what I find - two offenders less than a block away. The "safer" option is a fully-carpeted home in a subdivision, not within walking distance of anything. Do you have any advice, cdr18?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles30 View Post
We are currently living in Cedar Rapids, IA and are relocating to the Ft. Wayne area to be closer to help with sick father.
We are an inter-racial couple with an infant. We live in a nice neighborhood with good schools and very close to amenities. We would like to find an area that would be diverse, active, yet low crime and easy commute. We will be renting and would like to know some nice places that have more than 950 sq. ft. We need space and would like to eventually purchase another home after we get settled. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!
I'd look in southwest Fort Wayne (46804 or 46814) for a great rental for your young family. Aldersgate and La Petite Academy are two of the top preschools in this vicinity and you'll love the Jorgensen YMCA, Indian Trails Park, being nearby Jefferson Pointe (there's an indoor play area there). There a lot to do/get involved in and although this area is considered the suburbs... in my experience it is the best for young families with the best schools, great neighborhoods, lots of activities, and easy access to downtown via Jefferson Blvd.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Well, typical in bigger cities is the amount of sex offenders located within the downtown region, which West Central is near. West Central is an established neighborhood with nice charming homes and character. I do not know of any houses specifically, but I would also look at the northwest, north, northeast, east, and southwest portions of the city. All of these are exceptional areas to rent. Regardless, there are going to be sex offenders everywhere sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne