Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times

Advertisements

Official Site of the Fort Wayne Tincaps

Potheads of Fort Wayne unite!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
It took a minute...but funny....

Old 10-04-2008, 11:38 AM

562 posts, read 2,403,633 times
OMG, do we just not get it? No,no, no!! We spend all this money on the controversial field, name it after a hospital-ok- and now our team is the TIN-CAPS???

"It's to honor Johnny Appleseed", says my hubby, a lifelong Ft Wayne resident, who remembers the days of field trips to the Old Fort."I don't care- it's dorky,"say I.

Pu- leese let this be voted on.We are already fighting the rep of dumbest city, now we are the pot heads?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Just showed the little apple guy with the pot on his head to my children. The 12 yr old made her"that's so lame face", the 7 yr old thought it was cute, but then agreed with her sister"what's he gonna do, try to attack people with the little stick on his head?"

Out of the mouths of s..

Old 10-04-2008, 11:58 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Honestly, the name just ticks me off. It is as though someone really doesn't want this city to ever develop a good reputation. Fort Wayne TinCaps? That's just ridiculous. No a vote won't be taken for it, but yes the owners should seriously reconsider what to name their team. "TinCaps" reminds me of the phrase "tinfoil hats" and yes, Pot-heads as well. Purely idiotic regardless of historical context. I am rather embarrassed so many taxpayer dollars are being spent on this project only to have the team owners decide upon a really stupid name.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:11 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
I believe Fort wayne Generals got the most votes by far. I don't understand why they chose the name Tincaps when there is already a team in the league called the Whitecaps.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I believe Fort wayne Generals got the most votes by far. I don't understand why they chose the name Tincaps when there is already a team in the league called the Whitecaps.
I guess they were going for the whole johnny appleseed thing ....

Old 10-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Honestly, the name just ticks me off. It is as though someone really doesn't want this city to ever develop a good reputation. Fort Wayne TinCaps? That's just ridiculous. No a vote won't be taken for it, but yes the owners should seriously reconsider what to name their team. "TinCaps" reminds me of the phrase "tinfoil hats" and yes, Pot-heads as well. Purely idiotic regardless of historical context. I am rather embarrassed so many taxpayer dollars are being spent on this project only to have the team owners decide upon a really stupid name.
I so agree with you mbuszu, and you are such a positive advocate for our city. I showed the logo to my 14 yr old daughter as well, and she thought it was really dumb. If our children can't be proud of the imagery we choose to represent our city to others, Ft Wayne will miss the boat once again on being a cool place to live.
Yes, Johnny Appleseed was a historical figure worth commemorating, but this image does not translate well into an icon that is appealing and competitive.These dudes represent the three rivers that are crying out for name worthy of display on my 4 yr old son's chest. Back to the drawing board!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:28 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
I died laughing when heard this name... finally, the LugNuts have a worthy contender! I called the Wizar,,, errr... TinHats office the other day, after the name was made official. Poor people who answer the phone actually are convinced that the public 'someday will get more acclimated to the name, and all will be fine and good in the land'. Somewhat defensive [can't say I blame 'em] when I asked 'em about if they were enjoying the kool-aid... but, they are really thinking this is a good thing. What bothers me most is that (a) they are moving the team, (b) parking downtown is gonna stink, (c) the "Castle" is just fine place to play [but, there were restrictions on other organizations/teams playing there, so made its use limited?], (d) all this money,,, all this public money,,, all this taxpayers money is going where, and to who? Why?

WANE TV Channel 15 - Fort Wayne Weather and News |Controversy surrounds TinCaps
Fort Wayne News » Fort Wayne Tin Caps unveil two new mascots - lol comment #6 is quite good...
http://www.fortwaynenews.com/index.p...tin-caps-logo/ comment #2 good too

Old 10-17-2008, 02:26 PM

43 posts, read 204,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
Just showed the little apple guy with the pot on his head to my children. The 12 yr old made her"that's so lame face", the 7 yr old thought it was cute, but then agreed with her sister"what's he gonna do, try to attack people with the little stick on his head?"

Out of the mouths of s..

Our 7 yr. old made the same face - then wondered if he had to get items w/the new logo or if still ok to wear his Wizards hat & shirt (& big foam claw) to the games instead. Honestly, I understand what they TRIED to do by having the mascot represent something FW... but how many people honestly even know Johnny is buried here or the regional ties? Reality is just having a hard time setting in that this is what we'll be known as, I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne