Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 PM

196 posts, read 504,425 times

Advertisements

Average Cost On a Canal, no Mortgage,,Propertys high up,,Fresh Water Cost of Insurance?

Cost of Insurance of Home, No Mortgage on Saltwater Canal?

Is it more difficult to obtain Insurance if you own your home outwrite?

Thanx folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Depends on how far from the coast you are.

You may need flood insurance, which is different from homeowners, depending on where you are. I don't think you'll have to get this without a mortgage.

I don't thing it makes a difference in cost if you have a mortgage or not.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
it does not make a difference in the insurance if mortgaged or not. What does make a difference is the year of the home, the size of the home, the quality of the home, for replacement cost.

There are different criteria that the insurance companies just assume, such as wind mitigation and fire zone class. These 2 things alone that can effect your insurance premium. Also when you call an agent tell them you want 3 different quotes from different companies because what a companied rating is, such as A rating B rating will make a big difference.... reason being if there is a big company highly rated they are more likely to pay and pay quickly if there was a hurricane, where "joe's insurance" is likely to go bankrupt and not pay.

Flood insurance is seperate if you are in a flood zone or not I would recommend and it is a fixed cost.

to give you a general idea I have a 1800 sq ft built in 2006 off water I pay $700 annual for homeowners and $300 for flood insurance. Both are based off insurance of $200,000 which is what they estimate replacement cost.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:41 AM

301 posts, read 1,153,997 times
For comparison purposes, my 1970 1800 sq/ft home on a saltwater canal, 9ft elevation runs around $1,600 for homeowners, plus another $450 or so for flood insurance.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
RE: Insurance for owned or mortgaged home.
There's a difference between property insurance & mortgage insurance. The latter is to protect the loan and it's for the lender, not the homeowner. Most lenders require it if your downpayment is less than 20%. There's an insurance product called "mortgage protection" which is entirely different from both property insurance and mortgage insurance and is basically the same as life insurance for homeowners with a few add-ons, but usually more expensive than term life. It's offered to homeowners who have recently financed or refinanced a home. Just a marketing tool for life insurance companies.

As nhkev wrote, to determine the cost would require more information. Each home is evaluated by its age, size & condition and other factors like wind mitigation. The company also looks at claims in the area and history of the home.

In June there was a big controversy in FL regarding state regulations. The bill didn't pass, but some companies were trying to establish their own criteria/rates for determining the cost of property insurance. One company, State Farm, fought to deregulate FL homeowner insurance so it could raise the average annual premium by about 45 to 50%.

Just like an automobile, whether or not you own the home isn't really a factor when applying for property insurance. I mean, if you lease a car, you might be required to carry the maximum coverage, but why wouldn't you do it anyway? Same with a home. You want to have the best replacement coverage in case of a disaster like a fire, hurricane or flood.

I am posting this link since it's a Florida State site, not advertising. It helps you to compare insurance rates. Click on one of the choices and then your county and a list of companies that sell property insurance in your area will pop up.

[URL="http://www.shopandcomparerates.com/"]Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates[/URL]

Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 PM

317 posts, read 772,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
it does not make a difference in the insurance if mortgaged or not. What does make a difference is the year of the home, the size of the home, the quality of the home, for replacement cost.

There are different criteria that the insurance companies just assume, such as wind mitigation and fire zone class. These 2 things alone that can effect your insurance premium. Also when you call an agent tell them you want 3 different quotes from different companies because what a companied rating is, such as A rating B rating will make a big difference.... reason being if there is a big company highly rated they are more likely to pay and pay quickly if there was a hurricane, where "joe's insurance" is likely to go bankrupt and not pay.

Flood insurance is seperate if you are in a flood zone or not I would recommend and it is a fixed cost.

to give you a general idea I have a 1800 sq ft built in 2006 off water I pay $700 annual for homeowners and $300 for flood insurance. Both are based off insurance of $200,000 which is what they estimate replacement cost.
Our payment is similar. Our home was built in 2006, is 2070 sq. ft and is off water. We pay around $1,000 for homeowners and flood with insurance of $250K. We also use an A-rated company.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,467 times
a few insurance facts that I gathered along the way...

If you plan on renting out your home for short periods, few companies will provide insurance for this. We use Cypress which includes this coverage.

For snowbirds and second homer condo owners, I believe insurance will require you to have a houseminder to visit the house regularly when unoccupied, however, I believe that this is not a requirement if it is a gated condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area