Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 AM

22 posts, read 40,874 times

Advertisements

when looking at ads for homes for sale in these communities I am surprised they only show 2 photos of the house-outside and kitchen. Since most of them advertise selling fully furnished I would think they would have a detailed series of photos. I do plan on going to Ft Myers this summer to actually check out the area and various gated 55+ communities. Since my parents will be living with us we want the activities so are willing to pay for those amenities. I also noticed that many of these homes have been for sale for long periods of time so I assume that I will not be out of line to make a reasonable offer that is about $10000 less than the asking price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 13,421 times
If the home is advertised for $35,000, offer $18,000 and wait - if it has been on the market for a long time, which most have, they will take it because each month the cost to leave the home sitting is over $1,000. Mine was beautifully furnished, with golf cart - not really "lived in so it was meticulous - I let it go for $20,000! Had enough of it! And I have no regrets - lease someplace for a short time and get a feel for it before you buy there. Like I said, if you can afford the fees and an increase of at least 10% per month per year, plan to stay there and utilize the amenities, then yes, go for it, but you will never get even half the price for your home when you decide to sell.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 AM

INTERNETTE: yes, you can get a home in there for basically nothing - most likely will need updating though. And, consider the location of the home - Golf course lot fees are about $1,000 per month. You only get lawn mowing with that and minimal weed whacking. Twice a year you pay a "pass through and irrigation fee - total an additional $1200 - $1400 per year. No utilities are included, so cable, internet, etc are all extra. You have to pay to golf as well. Lots of amenities but cost to live there NEVER goes down - When I bought there in Nov of '06, my lot fees were $650 or so per month. When I sold in Jan. 2014, they had increased by $125 per month - keep that in mind. On the positive side:safe, clean, lots of amenities and things to do if that is your thing.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:40 PM

46 posts, read 117,858 times
My parents, both gone now, were DelTura residents. They loved the place. My brother and his wife, both golfers, live there now and they love the place. Another sister and her husband, both golfers, plan on retiring there....My husband and I are now planning on retirement there as well. We do not golf, but we have had wonderful and memorable vacations at DelTura. I think we are very fortunate. Finding a nice place to live can be very stressful; there are so many variables from money/costs to crime. Living in VA now, there is no doubt and no stress for us. DelTura will be our next home.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 17,296 times
Default del tura

The community is cute. My friends bought a home there in the '90's for approx. 12,000 they use it sept thru dec and rent until may. Their lot rent increased and homeowners 10 fold after a hurricane (tree through the roof and water damage) I believe their lot rent is 550 and on the golf course.

However, my other friends purchased a home on the golf course(2 years ago) for 9,000 fully furnished and the lot rent increased from 250 to 840 per month!!!!!!! they had no idea it would increase that much!!!!!!! they are paying $10,000 per year!!!!! that is insane!!!!!

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

they bought that house from the owner's(who was deceased) family.
they should have done their homework, the orig owner was grandfathered in as he was the orig owner.

THE LOT FEES WILL NEVER GO DOWN!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaunc View Post
If the home is advertised for $35,000, offer $18,000 and wait - if it has been on the market for a long time, which most have, they will take it because each month the cost to leave the home sitting is over $1,000. Mine was beautifully furnished, with golf cart - not really "lived in so it was meticulous - I let it go for $20,000! Had enough of it! And I have no regrets - lease someplace for a short time and get a feel for it before you buy there. Like I said, if you can afford the fees and an increase of at least 10% per month per year, plan to stay there and utilize the amenities, then yes, go for it, but you will never get even half the price for your home when you decide to sell.

You are correct!!! My friends are ready to walk away from the place they purchased.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegoes View Post
when looking at ads for homes for sale in these communities I am surprised they only show 2 photos of the house-outside and kitchen. Since most of them advertise selling fully furnished I would think they would have a detailed series of photos. I do plan on going to Ft Myers this summer to actually check out the area and various gated 55+ communities. Since my parents will be living with us we want the activities so are willing to pay for those amenities. I also noticed that many of these homes have been for sale for long periods of time so I assume that I will not be out of line to make a reasonable offer that is about $10000 less than the asking price?

Be sure to ask what the hoa fee will be if you purchase any property! Most people have been there and are grandfathered in. My friends bought a manufactured home and it went from 240/mo from the orig owner to 840/mo they are ready to walk away!!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaunc View Post
INTERNETTE: yes, you can get a home in there for basically nothing - most likely will need updating though. And, consider the location of the home - Golf course lot fees are about $1,000 per month. You only get lawn mowing with that and minimal weed whacking. Twice a year you pay a "pass through and irrigation fee - total an additional $1200 - $1400 per year. No utilities are included, so cable, internet, etc are all extra. You have to pay to golf as well. Lots of amenities but cost to live there NEVER goes down - When I bought there in Nov of '06, my lot fees were $650 or so per month. When I sold in Jan. 2014, they had increased by $125 per month - keep that in mind. On the positive side:safe, clean, lots of amenities and things to do if that is your thing.

I agree, my brother and his wife bought a foreclosure in **** gorda for 140,000 and the hoa is 225/mo and it is not a" manufactured " house. It will increase in value, as a trailer will not. Very nice community as well.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:53 PM

22 posts, read 40,874 times
Default del Tura

We moved from San Diego to del Tura 2 months ago and truly love it here. We are on the fairway and green of the golf course overlooking a small lake. Our neighbors are the friendliest people I have ever met anywhere in the world. Yes lot rent is high but it was even higher in SoCal with fewer amenities and even closer homes on smaller lots. from our house we cant see another house behind us, we have 1700 sq ft with a 2 car garage and golf cart garage. Lots of activities in the community and even more great things to do in the vicinity. Naples is fairly close as if Punta Gorda etc. This northern part of ft myers is very quiet and we feel very safe here. We sold our home in socal, banked the money paid cash for this place so really the high lot fee covers what it would have cost us to join a country club and play golf. Looking out our lanai is like looking at a beautiful lake area every day. If you want a great social life, activities, shopping outdoor activiities etc sw florida is a great place to live!Everything we had available to us in socal is also available here- just way less expensive!!!

Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Default Del Tura

Not sure if you ever went for a visit to D.T. but I see that the houses are actually going for even less than when I sold in Jan of '14. If the homes are listed for say $37,000 - offer $28,000 and you will most likely get it or eventually they will ask for a counter offer - each month the home is on the market, it is costing the owner anywhere from $750 a month to $1,000 for it to sit there. Minus the monthly payments over the time and reduce the offer by that much. I sold mine in 2014 after it being for sale, on and off for three years - then I just cut it to half and sold it. Looking back, I wished I did that in the beginning because keeping it cost me over $20,000 in
those three years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area