Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM

146 posts, read 376,325 times

Advertisements

When we bought our house in CC in March we had a wind mitigation inspection done (for about $150) and ended up saving some (undefined) money on our house insurance. The report stated that we had a gable roof, solid sheathing & shingles, and clips on the rafters.

Since then we've added a hurricane-resistant garage door and, in December, will be adding impact resistant windows. We have not yet replaced the 3 sliders or any of the entry doors with anything hurricane resistant.

My question: Is it worth doing another wind mitigation inspection to capture the addition of the garage door & windows? Are improvements incremental, or do we need to do the entire improvement (doors) before we'll save additional money on insurance?

I would call a wind mitigation inspector, but I'm sure he'd recommend an inspection. I could call my insurance company, but thought I'd ask the question here first.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM

964 posts, read 2,070,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpedwards View Post
When we bought our house in CC in March we had a wind mitigation inspection done (for about $150) and ended up saving some (undefined) money on our house insurance. The report stated that we had a gable roof, solid sheathing & shingles, and clips on the rafters.

Since then we've added a hurricane-resistant garage door and, in December, will be adding impact resistant windows. We have not yet replaced the 3 sliders or any of the entry doors with anything hurricane resistant.

My question: Is it worth doing another wind mitigation inspection to capture the addition of the garage door & windows? Are improvements incremental, or do we need to do the entire improvement (doors) before we'll save additional money on insurance?

I would call a wind mitigation inspector, but I'm sure he'd recommend an inspection. I could call my insurance company, but thought I'd ask the question here first.

Thanks.
Our situation sounds a lot like yours. Sounds like we have similar homes, purchased in the same month! We installed shutters on all windows and doors, including the sliders. I was told by the insurance company that no additional discount was possible unless all points of entry were covered by "official materials", including the garage door. Even then, the discount (after the initial roof discount) was negligible - something silly like 5%. After hearing that, we put a new hurricane garage door on for aesthetic reasons only. Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,358,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpedwards View Post

Thanks.
First you need to shop around we paid $100.00 for the inspection, so checking around can save you money right from the gitgo.
Second wait for the inspection till you get all your construction done, before you reinspect.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM

146 posts, read 376,325 times
Thanks guys. I suspected as much. Regardless, we'll be doing the door replacement in 2011. I'll do the inspection then.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM

19 posts, read 42,089 times
I just had one done and the inspector said he would come back within a year and redo it with improvements for free.

So I would check with whoever did it the first time and see if he can ammend the report.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM
tei

2 posts, read 4,330 times
Default Inspections and svaings

I know alot about wind mitigation since***MOD CUT***
The items that will give you a good discount are:

1. A roof replaced after 2001.

2. A roof deck that is fastened with larger nails.

3. Hip shaped roof.

4. Strong roof to wall connections.

5. Shutters over EVERYTHING, all doors, windows, and skylights. Even one door not covered will prevent you from the shutter credit.

Homes within 20 miles of the coast of Florida almost always save more moeny than the cost of the inspection in the first year.

Your insurance agent also is a great source for information about this.

Hope this information helps.
Chris
***MOD CUT***

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 11-22-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Sorry, no ads allowed per the TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area