Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:19 PM

15 posts, read 48,707 times

Advertisements

We have relocated to Cape Coral and are looking to purchase a home on a canal. We have a 7 year old and a 12 year old. We have found 2 homes that we like, one in the SW area and the other in the SE area. I'd appreciate any input as to what each area offers in terms of lifestyle, convenience, crime, home values, etc..

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Pretty much a tossup IMO, Rubyanne......both are pretty close to shopping.I'd check the schools out and then go with the house that suits you the best.We love it in SE.....nice mix of old farts,kids and working families.We're just a block north of Del Prado and no crime in our area.People watch out for strangers.The other day a couple of door to door contractors came on our street and the PD was there in a flash to check them out.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,907 times
I agree it's a toss up. We love the SW area but I could live in the SE area and be just as happy. The SW area seems a little more upscale.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 PM

15 posts, read 48,707 times
Thanks for the info. When i first got to Cape Coral a couple of people had mentioned to me to make sure I stay in the SW area but I agree from what I saw that many SE neighborhoods are just as nice.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM

7 posts, read 20,884 times
There are many nice neighborhoods in both, but I think that the SW has more character, charm, and "roots" (even though I live in the NE, which is quiet and spacious )

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM

225 posts, read 493,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyanne View Post
We have relocated to Cape Coral and are looking to purchase a home on a canal. We have a 7 year old and a 12 year old. We have found 2 homes that we like, one in the SW area and the other in the SE area. I'd appreciate any input as to what each area offers in terms of lifestyle, convenience, crime, home values, etc..

Thanks
Both are pretty big areas, where are the homes you like located?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM

111 posts, read 287,272 times
The best advice anyone could give you at this point is to check on the cost of home owners and flood insurance for any house you think you may purchase. Some areas, especially in the SW dont require flood. Also, if the home is less than 8 years old, it may qualify for wind mitigation which is a biggie. I know of people paying over $2000 for home owners plus 600 for flood, which is one surprise you don't want when closing nears. Some companies wont write policies during hurricane season neither. Good luck, the Cape is a great place to live for people who have the right mindset.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW_Pirate View Post
The best advice anyone could give you at this point is to check on the cost of home owners and flood insurance for any house you think you may purchase. Some areas, especially in the SW dont require flood. Also, if the home is less than 8 years old, it may qualify for wind mitigation which is a biggie. I know of people paying over $2000 for home owners plus 600 for flood, which is one surprise you don't want when closing nears. Some companies wont write policies during hurricane season neither. Good luck, the Cape is a great place to live for people who have the right mindset.
You can qualify for wind mitigation if your home is older than 8 years too

Old 06-27-2010, 12:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyanne View Post

Thanks
If I were interested in moving to Cape Coral, I'd care a lot about driving distance to work and shopping, so it depends on your personal needs. You have the basic stores in both areas, and unless you're a shopaholic, you probably won't need to travel to Fort Myers too often for items you can't find locally. One of the biggest complaints I've had when traveling to the Cape is crossing the bridge and then driving several more miles to get to my destination. Everyone is different, however. Right now I'm in a home in Port Charlotte that is less than 5 miles from 41, but it seems a little far out to me, probably because I lived for over 13 years near Bonita Beach and could walk to 7-Eleven, the beach, several restaurants and Publix & Walgreen's were less than 2 miles away. So I have to laugh at myself for thinking I'm way out in the boonies because I need to drive 4.5 miles to a grocery store. (although that's twice as far as I'm used to!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area