Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 AM

87 posts, read 256,968 times

Advertisements

Orlando vs Broward County... Which is gay friendlier? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,479,996 times
Broward and its not even close. Why? Because Broward is the most liberal area of FL outside of South Beach and Key West. Orlando is far more conservative, many more rednecks up on those parts. That said, Orlando is not as gay-unfriendly as Jacksonville, Tallahassee, or even Tampa. But Broward is the only "blue county" in the state of FL.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM

326 posts, read 1,453,941 times
Really? I did not know Orlando as being gay friendly. I always thought it to be quite conservative. Not having lived there, though, I am open to be educated. As for Broward, it is definitely very gay friendly, and there is not doubt about it. Why? Because the gay population is very prominent compared to other areas, more concentrated for men (Wilton Manors and Fort lauderdale), more sparse for female families, who tend to mix in with other families, especially if they have children.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM

294 posts, read 1,150,014 times
Broward, hands down. Not only do you have very gay friendly communities like Wilton Manors, but you are also close to Miami Beach, a very gay friendly area. In fact, MB just passed a measure allowing gays to display the pride flag.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Yeah Orlando is very conservative.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM

80 posts, read 177,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Broward and its not even close. Why? Because Broward is the most liberal area of FL outside of South Beach and Key West. Orlando is far more conservative, many more rednecks up on those parts. That said, Orlando is not as gay-unfriendly as Jacksonville, Tallahassee, or even Tampa. But Broward is the only "blue county" in the state of FL.
I disagree and agree. Although I would say Broward too, Broward is not the only blue county in the state (). I would disagree with Orlando being far more conservative and intolerant of gays. Orlando has a large gay population! Not that I agree or disagree with it, just letting you know. Also Orlando is a lot like Miami now, where people really dont seem to care one way or another if it doesnt involve them. Some folks in Orlando dont even bother waving hello back to one another, so I doubt that they'll even notice (or care) whether someone is gay or not.

Neither FTL or ORL are as gay-friendly as San Fran, Asheville NC, or Key West, but you really cant go wrong with either choice.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Broward is the only true blue county in FL, where the amount of registered democrats outweighs registered republicans by a substantial margin. This past election cycle, counties that were 51/49% in favor of republicans went blue like Orange, Hillsboro, and Miami-Dade. That is because of a minority candidate and the lousy economic conditions in FL. But traditionally, those are conservative counties with conservative mindsets.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 PM

87 posts, read 256,968 times
Default Dear Rae the Chef,

QUOTE: "Orlando has a large gay population"

Before of everything, I would like to clarify that when I mention "gay friendly" I mean a place where your partner and you can walk by the streets holding hands without fear, a place where it is not necessary to conceal your sexual orientation (like using a wedding ring) in order to get an employment, etc.

You are right! Certainly Orlando has a large gay population as well it has progressed a lot but it does not mean be gay friendlier. I think that the gay friendliest parts of Orlando are Downtown and Disney, but those parts does not represent the trends toward gay people in Orlando.

In Broward, the gay community have power and got respect from the general community. As an example I can mention a famous university in Broward that offers an institutional scholarship for psychology students interested in doing research about gay issues. That is be progressive and gay friendly!

On the other hand, Disney is completely gay friendly, but Disney it is fantasy... it does not represent the real Orlando.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 PM

80 posts, read 177,355 times
I agree... Disney is FAR from the "real Orlando." You seem to know about Orlando and it's tolerance, so I think you'll make an informed decision. You seem to be leaning towards FTL.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:13 PM

763 posts, read 3,534,969 times
Orlando is pretty gay friendly, but Broward County is definitely more gay friendly. Wilton Manors for example, is a nice neighborhood that's majority gay. No part of Florida is more gay friendly than Miami/South Florida, with the exception of perhaps Key West. In Miami, big gay neighborhoods are the Upper East Side and South Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area