Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,879 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a single black female relocating from NYC to Florida. I will be working in Davie and am looking to buy a townhome or condo for about 200K. Any advice for the best areas for me to look? I would like an area that has a 'youngish' vibe, where there are versatile things to do for people in their 30's. I would also like to live somewhere safe, and where I will feel welcomed. I have visited West Palm, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, and Miramar before, but some of the places look very 'cookie cutter' and best suited for young families. I also would like a short commute to Davie. Any advice?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Well, my suggestion would be to RENT because of the market conditions right now, but having a budget of only 200k limits a lot of your options if you don't want that "young family" thing. Actually, Davie itself is very convenient and has a lot of smaller condos/townhomes in the low 200s. A little cookie cutter but the good thing about it is that you can get on 595 and be by the beach in 20 minutes. Look into the Pine Island Ridge area, safe, convenient location (for EVERYTHING) and honestly I would not worry about feeling welcomed. No place is hate free but generally people tend to group more by common interests than by race. Actually, Davie has a dated reputation for being racist. If you are not looking to move deep into horse country, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact I wouldn't worry about it even if you were.

However, Davie isn't too diverse. You could also cross I-595 and look into Plantation. A bit more mixed, a little more upscale vibe, if you stay west of University Dr still safe, more young couples/singles. Still have the convenience of getting on 595 and being by the beach quickly. The physical look of Plantation is also a little better with more trees and varying architecture, although it's vaguely "Boca Raton" like. Davie is better for families, Plantation is better for younger couples.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-31-2008 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Artesia near Sawgrass is nice and there are some great deals in there now. I think the young demographic is definitely there. Tao, a condo on the Sawgrass property is also really nice. Depending on where in Davie, this would be somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes away.

Artesia near to Sawgrass Mall - AOL Video

Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Well, my suggestion would be to RENT because of the market conditions right now, but having a budget of only 200k limits a lot of your options if you don't want that "young family" thing. Actually, Davie itself is very convenient and has a lot of smaller condos/townhomes in the low 200s. A little cookie cutter but the good thing about it is that you can get on 595 and be by the beach in 20 minutes. Look into the Pine Island Ridge area, safe, convenient location (for EVERYTHING) and honestly I would not worry about feeling welcomed. No place is hate free but generally people tend to group more by common interests than by race. Actually, Davie has a dated reputation for being racist. If you are not looking to move deep into horse country, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact I wouldn't worry about it even if you were.

However, Davie isn't too diverse. You could also cross I-595 and look into Plantation. A bit more mixed, a little more upscale vibe, if you stay west of University Dr still safe, more young couples/singles. Still have the convenience of getting on 595 and being by the beach quickly. The physical look of Plantation is also a little better with more trees and varying architecture, although it's vaguely "Boca Raton" like. Davie is better for families, Plantation is better for younger couples.
Pearls of wisdom, listen to what he said!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM

259 posts, read 840,682 times
Hey I'm a black female too! I live in Davie and work in Sunrise (takes about 15 mins). If you're still looking. I like the Rolling Hills Townhomes and Southwood Townhomes. Both off of university drive. It's also a young crowd because you are close to Nova. But if that's too young, I would suggest Pembroke Pines or parts of Plantation. They have a black middle class crowd and the people are still a little friendly. Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 PM

245 posts, read 1,171,521 times
try to rent for at least a year for now

Old 10-17-2008, 06:26 PM

326 posts, read 1,453,126 times
I don't think it is the time to buy. You are better off renting for a year or so, at least until experts can see a real end of the downfall. Also, you do not have to live in Davie or Plantation. The coast line is great for a single woman, and the color of her skin is pretty much meaningless in the Fort Lauderdale area.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,643,258 times
We just signed a contract on a town house in Davie that is right off of University and 595... Very central location, mix crowd, close to Nova, restaurants, airport, beach etc. Let me know if you are still looking and I might be able to help...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
We just signed a contract on a town house in Davie that is right off of University and 595... Very central location, mix crowd, close to Nova, restaurants, airport, beach etc. Let me know if you are still looking and I might be able to help...
Danger, Will Robinson!

My advice is to RENT RENT RENT! Look around and then try to find a DEAL on a house. DO NOT TELL a real estate agent how much you have to spend, or if you do (God forgive me) LIE, and reduce it to 150K, okay? They will always try to get you to pay more anyway. Here is a hug! Congrats on your move and be SMART with your $$$. Florida is undergoing an economic depression, and there are lots of ppl out to take your money and get you into a lot of debt.

You should be able to get a nice condo for under 70K, maybe even less now. You can also get a HOUSE that will rock more than a condo well under your price range.

To recap, here is my advice:
1. Rent w/ a short term lease for 6 mos or less. If the landlord offers only 1 year, negotiate until you get 6 mos. or a month-to-month lease. You may find out when you move that your rent is too high and you can get cheaper place.

2. Look around for houses and scope out neighborhoods for a while to decide where you want to live. I like the Prudential Florida website because they have a pretty big inventory and show all of the short sales. No, I don't work for them, but they are the best site I have found.

3. When you spend your money, make sure you get the BIGGEST, NICEST house possible, okay? Also, try to get a POOL. You can find this for under 100K in Florida depending on where you will be living.

Remember, NEGOTIATE the price. Do not go to your $200K Max for a house in Florida, okay? Unless it has 3-5 bedrooms, a pool and is in a great, safe and beautiful area. If the seller wants 120K, you think how LOW can you go and get the house for as little as possible.

Good luck darling.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 AM

95 posts, read 214,554 times
Would like to know abt how the market is

I have been renting at an exhorbitant rate for the past 2 years.Not ready to bite(buying) because mine is a contract job and may not find my next job here

Any suggestions on where to move.now I am in Plantation right next to 595 paying > $1k for 1B/1Bath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area