Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,349 times

Advertisements

Moving from Iowa to Ft Lauderdale in April. My adult adoptive sister, who has moderate developmental needs that I have helped her with since she's become an adult, wants to be closer to her birth family and get to know them. I've helped her take care of her 7 year old son since he was born and I am OK with leaving Iowa (long story).

Anyway in doing research I'm a bit concerned. Obviously crime rate is higher than Iowa, I'm not totally naive. But the schools are rated so low. The area we're set up to move to has lower crime rates than many areas of the city but still higher than others. Zip code 33311.

So I guess I'm just looking for thoughts. Her birth mother told me it's safe and not like Miami "where someone will just walk up and shoot you in the head". Please excuse my ignorance. I am a smaller town person. But my lifelong city Cedar Rapids is not free of crime or school issues. I spent a lot of time in DC through the years and was never concerned. Thank you and apologies if I sound naive or ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 01:39 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
And his mama cries
'cause if there's one thing that she don't need
it's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetto

If you are very low income and black, it might work for you. The schools in that area are nearly 100% black. It's high crime. Bad area. Gangs. They can't give away property there. You can buy a lot for $25k and a 3 bedroom house for $80k. Consider a 3 bedroom house in a mediocre (not even that nice) neighborhood will run $250 - $300k....

That said, there is a tiny, tiny bit of that zip code that is in Wilton Manors, which is half black and half gay. The houses are decent, neighborhoods generally pretty safe. Schools not very good but not as bad as the rest of the zip. However, I know the gay people in Wilton Manors complain about walking "over the bridge" into the black neighborhoods and getting mugged. I know quite a few people that live in Wilton and they don't venture outside of the gay area. Considering you mentioned family, I have a feeling you aren't looking at Wilton, but the "over the bridge" neighborhood....

To be honest, it would probably be much more helpful if you tell us more about your situation, what type of neighborhood you like, and budget.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,349 times
No, it's not in Wilton Manors. It's not far from an elementary school called Martin Luther King Jr Elementary. Right now I'm not sure that the birth mother understands that what she considers safe having lived in a variety of areas in the city, might be different from what we consider safe, or even what people who live there consider safe.

I don't want to interfere in things but ultimately my priority is that my sister and her son be safe, and obviously that I be safe too. As far as race, I'm assuming from what I read here that in Ft Lauderdale race appears to correlate with crime. My sister is black, her birth family is black. I'm white, and her son is biracial. We're looking at a $1200/month rental budget for a 2 bedroom. And in looking at apartments that leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't make sense to me to pay the maximum of what we can afford in order to live somewhere that's not safe. When we could go 3 hours north to the Melbourne area which is from what I've read safer.

And I guess when I think of safe I think of not getting bullets through our window, not getting robbed in our home or worrying about that. Even in Iowa I don't walk around at night alone. I know enough to know you can be in the safest place and still be targeted.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:11 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Did you check the first thread in this section of the forum? The one with the link to the color coded Broward County map? Google the address and look at the consensus rating. I checked the area around MLK Elementary, and you're correct, it doesn't appear to be in the roughest area (which would be coded red) but it's certainly close. It is coded yellow--not an area known for safety. The safest areas in the county are coded various shades of green.

If you are willing to look as far north as Melbourne, why not look at Port St. Lucie? That city is north of WPB, south of Vero, and is known as a bedroom community for those willing to commute to parts south, in exchange for having their real estate dollars go further.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:43 PM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
I think the culture shock from Iowa to Ft. Lauderdale would be kind of hard. I'm sure your sister wants to get to know her family better, but if you choose wisely, you can get a place within an hour of her birth family and still someplace that you will be happy living in. I'd look North and West. Possibly Palm Beach County?

Also, not sure if Uber is active in Iowa, but I've got a disabled friend who is a heavy user. It allows him to get around without relying on public transit or taxis, and is reasonably safe and affordable.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahalo View Post
No, it's not in Wilton Manors. It's not far from an elementary school called Martin Luther King Jr Elementary. Right now I'm not sure that the birth mother understands that what she considers safe having lived in a variety of areas in the city, might be different from what we consider safe, or even what people who live there consider safe.

I don't want to interfere in things but ultimately my priority is that my sister and her son be safe, and obviously that I be safe too. As far as race, I'm assuming from what I read here that in Ft Lauderdale race appears to correlate with crime. My sister is black, her birth family is black. I'm white, and her son is biracial. We're looking at a $1200/month rental budget for a 2 bedroom. And in looking at apartments that leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't make sense to me to pay the maximum of what we can afford in order to live somewhere that's not safe. When we could go 3 hours north to the Melbourne area which is from what I've read safer.

And I guess when I think of safe I think of not getting bullets through our window, not getting robbed in our home or worrying about that. Even in Iowa I don't walk around at night alone. I know enough to know you can be in the safest place and still be targeted.

Unfortunately, in South Florida, 100% black neighborhoods tend to be similar to what you might think when you hear "Compton." They are very disadvantaged and depressed. A child would be almost doomed in that neighborhood and environment. We won't get into the politics, how unfair and unfortunate it is for the people living there, but just pointing out the reality of the situation here. Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary is rated 1 out of 10. It's as bad as it gets.

There are areas that are very mixed and also safe. Look in Tamarac. One of my rentals is under $1200, is 2 bedrooms, fully remodeled, and even comes with cable/water included. It's not available but just pointing out that there are plenty of opportunities. You can DEFINITELY find a good 2 bedroom apartment or even a townhouse for $1200 in a safe neighborhood with decent schools. In fact, that's a very good budget for that.

Here is a couple of examples I would highly recommend looking at, and this is just one area. There is so much more.:

Sands Point Blvd, Tamarac, FL 33321 | Zillow

8451 NW 61st St, Tamarac, FL 33321 | Zillow

Twin Lakes Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33071 | Zillow

Old 02-19-2016, 04:17 PM

61 posts, read 61,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
And his mama cries
'cause if there's one thing that she don't need
it's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetto

If you are very low income and black, it might work for you. The schools in that area are nearly 100% black. It's high crime. Bad area. Gangs. They can't give away property there. You can buy a lot for $25k and a 3 bedroom house for $80k. Consider a 3 bedroom house in a mediocre (not even that nice) neighborhood will run $250 - $300k....

That said, there is a tiny, tiny bit of that zip code that is in Wilton Manors, which is half black and half gay. The houses are decent, neighborhoods generally pretty safe. Schools not very good but not as bad as the rest of the zip. However, I know the gay people in Wilton Manors complain about walking "over the bridge" into the black neighborhoods and getting mugged. I know quite a few people that live in Wilton and they don't venture outside of the gay area. Considering you mentioned family, I have a feeling you aren't looking at Wilton, but the "over the bridge" neighborhood....

To be honest, it would probably be much more helpful if you tell us more about your situation, what type of neighborhood you like, and budget.
I don't think anyone with a low income and are black would want to live in a high crime area with low rated schools, so I'm not sure that truly works for anyone some just have no choice. Im also sure there are gay black people, are they scared to walk over the bridge or does it work for them because they're black? Comments like this could possible make someone feel if they are black no matter what part of broward county they live in they will be judged by stereotypes that black equals crime and low rated schools. So basically sounds like the OP needs to know which areas are safe for black people to live and not be judged with low crime and decent rated schools at least.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:36 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I think the culture shock from Iowa to Ft. Lauderdale would be kind of hard. I'm sure your sister wants to get to know her family better, but if you choose wisely, you can get a place within an hour of her birth family and still someplace that you will be happy living in. I'd look North and West. Possibly Palm Beach Country.
This is an excellent point and good advice.

OP I moved down here from Wisconsin 20 years ago and still feel culture shock.
South Florida is the complete opposite of the Midwest in so many ways. I can't stress that enough.
You need to find the area that works for you.

The advice these folks are giving you is dead on.

Best of luck!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:09 AM

50 posts, read 85,790 times
That is not the worst area in the County by any means, but it is certainly a far cry from Iowa. The schools in that area are among the worst and poverty is very high. There is a nice library right off 21st, though. There are also some decent parks.

If young children are part of the equation, I would recommend finding a better school zone.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola9grl View Post
I don't think anyone with a low income and are black would want to live in a high crime area with low rated schools, so I'm not sure that truly works for anyone some just have no choice. Im also sure there are gay black people, are they scared to walk over the bridge or does it work for them because they're black? Comments like this could possible make someone feel if they are black no matter what part of broward county they live in they will be judged by stereotypes that black equals crime and low rated schools. So basically sounds like the OP needs to know which areas are safe for black people to live and not be judged with low crime and decent rated schools at least.
SHE ASKED ABOUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD, specifically. It's 100% black, disadvantaged, and poor with high crime and gangs. That's exactly what I said. You ran with it and implied something else entirely. I'm not politically correct, and I don't care to be. You can read into my comments however you wish. I would note that I also pointed out several housing options within the OP's price range, in areas that have a large black population, and decent schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area