Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM

36 posts, read 163,626 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever had their air duct cleaned? If so, who did it? I heard people can damage them and I want to know who does a good job and is knowledgeable. Anyone know the price ranges/estimates?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM

444 posts, read 908,440 times
We used Coit and they did a great job. They charged about $300 for a 4 bedroom house with vents in every room. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,096,034 times
I have also heard that air duct cleanig is really not needed most of the time. Do your research.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM

995 posts, read 3,942,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I have also heard that air duct cleanig is really not needed most of the time. Do your research.
I second this.

If you hire A/C company for air duct cleaning, they will insist on other A/C services, which is costly. This is what happened to my buddy, who wanted $39 air duct cleaning originally ended up paying $300.

My A/C stopped working 3 times this summer and I have learned a lot about how it works.

Here's what I learned.

1. Replace filter every month.
2. Clean out the PVC pipe for nice drainage. Pour bleach (just a cap full) every month.
3. Every 6 months, open up the inside and outside units and clean the coil. These are fragile so don't put too much pressure. I was surprised how dirty the inside unit coils were when I wiped using a towel. For outside unit, gently spray using water hose. Make sure the power is off when working the outside unit. There is a separate circuit breaker near the outside unit.
4. Once a year, open up the inside unit front bottom panel. You will find the drip pan which is connected to the PVC pipe. Clean out any algae. Any built up there may clog up your PVC pipe.

If you don't bother to do this, at least hire a trustworthy handyman who would do all the above. PM me if you need a referral. Never hire a A/C company because they will try to sell you a new A/C system. My handyman says recent units should last 20 years, if properly maintained.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM

423 posts, read 1,650,739 times
I fully agree with acegolfer, It is so hard to find a good reliable A/C person/company. I used to have a good A/C technician who was semi retired and worked for himself but haven't been able to find him the last couple of times when i called him. Infact, my own A/C has been acting up for last few days and i went with a recommendation and still wasn't satisfied with the guy... All he did was cleaned up the coils in inside unit and hosed down the outside compressor... Took him less than an hour and still charged me $150.

I would love to find another reliable A/C guy since I often need one for one of client's homes. If anyone has a reliable guy/company please PM me or post it here.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,746,561 times
Maybe Chelsa's husband should start his own business. Chelsa, are you reading this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area