Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 17,860 times

Advertisements

I am not sure why people dislike Greeley. I went to UNC for 4 years and never had a problem with the area. Yes, it smells like cows. It's an agricultural town! It's not a nightlife hotspot but it's generally safe - small towns just aren't for everyone.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:01 PM

42 posts, read 201,001 times
]There are several on this forum that keep harping on the Hispanics heritage and that Co. was part of Mexico. So what! it belonged to the American Indian before they showed up. I do not believe there is any nationality that has not be taken over by someone. I do love Colorado and the Spanish names. Notice Spanish not Hispanic. The Spanish language and the Mexician language is not quite the same. The Spanish were all over the place before the nationality of Mexican was a twinkle in someone eye. And the Hispanic name. ----I don't know where that originated. It was Chicano(sp) etc. As to Greeley. The Swift packing plant was guilty of hiring illegals in Greeley somewhere in Texas, don't know if more. They had fake papers, have not heard if Swift has been held accountable or not. They should be. People feeling sorry for those poor people. I understand why they come and they are good hard workers. And I don't know what the answer is about the work they are willing to do that others are not. But there has to be an answer, like able bodied people on welfare have to work to receive. I don't know. Put the inmates in prisons and jails to work, instead of giving them a free ride. They cost us thousands of dollars per, make them work like they used to, law abiding citizens have to work to eat. We need to help our own legal people, many of whom are Hispanic. Not because their great great great whatever were here before some of other nationalities but because we are legal Americans.What is it that people do not understand about the word ILLIGAL! My grandparents were immigrants too. They too came with nothing but a dream. They worked themselves to death for their dream too. But the difference I see is they were proud to be Americans, they wanted to be Americans. They learned English, nothing wrong with a second language( I wish had learned theirs) but they believed to be a true American, they had to learn English, speak English in public and live as an American not celebrate the old country ways and become legal citizens. I do believe they should keep old traditions alive but to make them our national holidays? Why pick only one nationality. Why not all the other nationalities that have come to the USA? They came here to better what the old country had for them or they would not have stayed here or come in the first place. I resent having to pay taxes for illegals health care, etc. I have nothing against them working here, but do it within the law. One law that defently needs changing Born in America then you are a legal citizen. Not if your parents are illegal!!! ------Well I guess I have blown off enough steam. We are all entitled to our opinion and saying it, that is what being an American is so wonderful. "When in Rome do as the Romans do" not as the country you came from. And I might add---LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
canyontiger,

I think maybe you missed some of the point in my posting. I, like you, am opposed to illegal immigration. I think that this country has every right, and a real obligation to control who is allowed to enter into and live in this country. That said, this part of the United States does have a strong heritage tied to Mexico, just as it also has to the Native Americans who preceded all of us here. That heritage IS part of our culture in the West, and there are a lot of people who live in Colorado who can trace their roots back several generations in that culture. It seems that a lot of Coloradans, including many recently arrived residents, don't want to acknowledge that.

Personally, I think the diversity of Colorado's multi-cultural heritage melds quite well with its geographical diversity. It it what makes this such a unique place. One major criticism that I have of many newcomers is that they don't take time to learn the cultural, economic, and ecological history and heritage of Colorado. That is their loss.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
canyontiger,

I think maybe you missed some of the point in my posting. I, like you, am opposed to illegal immigration. I think that this country has every right, and a real obligation to control who is allowed to enter into and live in this country. That said, this part of the United States does have a strong heritage tied to Mexico, just as it also has to the Native Americans who preceded all of us here. That heritage IS part of our culture in the West, and there are a lot of people who live in Colorado who can trace their roots back several generations in that culture. It seems that a lot of Coloradans, including many recently arrived residents, don't want to acknowledge that.

Personally, I think the diversity of Colorado's multi-cultural heritage melds quite well with its geographical diversity. It it what makes this such a unique place. One major criticism that I have of many newcomers is that they don't take time to learn the cultural, economic, and ecological history and heritage of Colorado. That is their loss.
I'll go along with that but we are a melding pot as they say not separate countries within the USA. So they that come into our country should meld not make the old country within the new. I love history but it is history. And I too believe new arrivals should learn the history or at least acknowledge it. I am speaking of those that will not become part of. Then go back wherever you come from. It is not only Mexico. Look at Florida and the Cubans. They have gone overboard to separate Religion and Country even tho we were founded in religion as in "God We Trust." Then why are they pushing to let some religions do whatever their religion dictates and not the one that this country was founded on? I am referring to Muslims being given multi breaks for prayer. Others ---well you see what I am speaking of.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
canyontiger,

I also agree with you that English should be the official language of this country. Now, I admire a lot of folks I know in southern Colorado and New Mexico who are bi-lingual. They can speak Spanish and English equally well. They seem to enjoy their ethnic heritage, but are still "all-American." Some I know in that group are well-decorated U.S. military veterans--they love this country enough to have risked their lives fighting for it. I don't think that they want to be "separate." I think that there is very distinct difference between the migrants and illegal immigrants who come to this country with no intention of really assimilating into the U.S., and the people (be they Hispanic, Italian, Russian, or any other ethnicity or nationality) who have either immigrated to this county with the intent of becoming Americans, or who have lived here for generations, but don't necessarily happen to be Anglo.

I will leave this discussion with an example. I have a good Hispanic friend in New Mexico. His family can trace its heritage in New Mexico back to around 1750 or so. He actually is offended if someone calls him a "Mexican." He has never set foot in Mexico, has no family there, and he speaks the 16th Century Castilian Spanish dialect that has persisted in northern New Mexico because of that area's long geographic isolation from the rest of what is now modern-day Mexico (along with speaking good English, of course). He prefers, if one is disposed to categorize his ethnicity, to be labelled as either Hispanic or a "Nuevo Mejicano." He's every bit a patriotic and "American" as any Anglo I know. He is also one of the most decent and honorable people I know. So much for stereotypes.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM

32 posts, read 147,930 times
1. Too many Hispanics. Though I personally think very highly of their work ethics.
2. Growning to quickly.
3. No charm...Downtown (hwy 34 business) requires knowing spanish.
4. Most good jobs require driving to Loveland or Fort Collins.
5. Not as close to the Rockies.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
canyontiger,

I also agree with you that English should be the official language of this country. Now, I admire a lot of folks I know in southern Colorado and New Mexico who are bi-lingual. They can speak Spanish and English equally well. They seem to enjoy their ethnic heritage, but are still "all-American." Some I know in that group are well-decorated U.S. military veterans--they love this country enough to have risked their lives fighting for it. I don't think that they want to be "separate." I think that there is very distinct difference between the migrants and illegal immigrants who come to this country with no intention of really assimilating into the U.S., and the people (be they Hispanic, Italian, Russian, or any other ethnicity or nationality) who have either immigrated to this county with the intent of becoming Americans, or who have lived here for generations, but don't necessarily happen to be Anglo.

I will leave this discussion with an example. I have a good Hispanic friend in New Mexico. His family can trace its heritage in New Mexico back to around 1750 or so. He actually is offended if someone calls him a "Mexican." He has never set foot in Mexico, has no family there, and he speaks the 16th Century Castilian Spanish dialect that has persisted in northern New Mexico because of that area's long geographic isolation from the rest of what is now modern-day Mexico (along with speaking good English, of course). He prefers, if one is disposed to categorize his ethnicity, to be labelled as either Hispanic or a "Nuevo Mejicano." He's every bit a patriotic and "American" as any Anglo I know. He is also one of the most decent and honorable people I know. So much for stereotypes.
I know some like him also. On my other parents side I can trace back to the early 17 hundreds too. That does not give me anymore rights that my grandparent that came here in the late 18 hundreds. If we had lost to the English back then we would be a different country. But we didn't, If we had lost to the Mexicans ----- We didn't etc etc etc My ancestor fought in the Revolutionary war, and someone in every generation, immediate family, me included, have been in the military and none during peace time. Also well decorated veterans. I will admit to a certain amount of prejudice. But it was taught to me as a young child. When me and my 40 friends are sic ed on a little kid of 6 throwing rocks etc. It tends to do that along with a great number of other instances. Your friend until more of their 40 friends or cousins etc come. Then stab you in the back. Don't go to the State Fair on Mexican Day. They will knock you clean off the sidewalks, you if not Hispanic do not belong on the grounds. And you won't be if you have any good sense. I too have Hispanic friends but it took awhile of me watching my back before I was comfortable with them. I can't help it but they did it to me and after so much, it is there to stay.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,322 times
Default Wow

Didn't realize there were so many bigoted people around here! I am a Greeley girl - not born, but raised here. OH - and I am MEXICAN. Not Spanish, not Nuevo Mexicana, just Mexican. And I guess I fail to see what the huge stigma attached to being Hispanic is. What exactly do you think these people are going to do to you? What a bunch of stereo typing narrow minded people! I am just truly amazed.

After having said all of that, I do have to share that I"m not in love with Greeley. I'm here for family reasons and think Greeley is a very boring town. No culture, not much to do. The nightlife is sorely lacking and it is farther than I would like from the mountains. The shopping is pitiful. Greeley has passed up a lot of opportunity for growth and to have much better shopping here - apparently they like being considered a "cow town" - not sure. It's also a very conservative place to live, as evidenced by a lot of the posts on here.

That is my opinion about why Greeley is not that attractive of a place to live - nothing to do with the nationality of the people that live here.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
I am not from Colorado but one time when I was visiting, I stopped at the Loveland Outlets to do some shopping.

I walked into Fossil and it smelled like cow s**t. I said, "Ew! It stinks in here!"

The saleswoman apologized and said, "On days when the wind blows from the east we get Greeley."

When I looked for a school in Colorado... I skipped Greeley. Going to DU!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 23,423 times
I'm not even going to get into immigration. All I care about is are most of the people friendly. We are looking for a very cheap, 800-1000 SF plain Jane house, probably a fixer in the plains. We have two dogs who are the loves of our lives. I am semi-retired but can keep two jobs working on computers to take with me if I want. My husband will probably need some work and can drive up to an hour to do so. He does not speak any Spanish yet. We are not Hispanic but have no problem living or working with them, and look forward to some great food (I grew up in Panama and still speak fair Spanish). I have a Harley motorcycle we will bring with us, and hope to do some great riding there.

Colorado is centrally located to several states that we have friends in. So far we are looking at La Junta, Sugar City and Fowler and Pueblo. Would prefer La Junta or Sugar City. The town we live in in North Dakota has 211 people, but I have lived in San Francisco and New York City also. We're pretty flexible and just go with the flow wherever we live. We love the outdoors, but I have pending back surgery so can't do much right now.

It is great finding this site. Getting lots of good information.

Thanks,

SugarLady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area