Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM

110 posts, read 212,789 times

Advertisements

Hi, I responded to somebody's posts, but I couldn't figure out how to start my own. Yes, I'm a trog. Also, My title is not quite right. I should have said something like is it a case of "the same s**t, different scenery?" -------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are repeats of my responses. I am soliciting more information. I know you can't run away from every undesirable. Being in a place where I could go hiking or skiing would make up for my social dilemmae.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
#1 I am considering a move to Colorado. I thought Colorado Springs seemed like a good idea, but my wife said I probably wouldn't like it because of ultra-conservatives and religious zealots. Yes, I am looking for a relaxed and somewhat liberal-minded area to live in. Nothing too extreme. I'm not totally "granola" either and don't even own a pair of sandals. My wife is a rehab nurse and I have spent many years assisting MR/DD gentlemen in their home environment. I know I can't avoid all of the people I would prefer to have nothing to do with. I just don't want to move into a hotbed of religious fervor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
# 2 thanks for the responses.
It's really hard to know where to go, in Colorado. I have spent eleven dark, miserable years in Northern Indiana. Honestly, I don't think the people here are very bright. I knew that with even greater conviction eleven years ago. We are arty/crafty, musically inclined, bookish and we devour crosswords. I tried to join the library book club here. It was pointless. The woman who runs it hates reading ! She listens to books on tape. I use that scenario as a sort of summing up of what I have to deal with here. And, whether I am wrong or not these simple people are very god-loving and can see no other way. I don't want to infer that all believers are simple, it's just that so many of the simple people are the greatest proponents of religion. I don't want to get into an environment where I feel choked-to-death by antiquated beliefs and the people that espouse them. That's why Colorado Springs' reputation gave me a bit of a concern. Now, I don't happen to feel that prostitution or excessive drinking (and I mean more than 1 or 2 drinks a month - no, I am not Mormon) are good things, either. I always feel sobriety is best. So, I'm kind of a wimpy tea drinker, but everything I wear isn't made out of hemp, either. Well, I'm rambling on - as usual. Let me know more about what you think. Just let me make you aware, we don't have tons of money, so Aspen, Vail, Estes Park, Grand Lake, Winter Park (the list goes on) are out of the question.
Many thanks, Robert

Last edited by bert62; 08-12-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,224,451 times
I'm not speaking from experience, but from what research I've done.

I think Colorado Springs "reputation" as a being a hyper conservative haven for religious zealots is a little overblown ^_^ Seems more to me like mostly friendly people who've come from all over the country and might lean slightly to the right on political issues. It is the home of some organizations that you may be concerned about, but honestly I'll think you'll run into that kind of thing anywhere.

It seems a very pleasant and inexpensive place to live near a lot of beautiful things along the front range.

A mod may want to move this over to the Colorado forum or at least the Springs forum.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,560 times
Default Trapped in Indiana

Bert, Try Broad Ripple in central Indy. Sounds like you would fit in well there. Liberal, Indiana style..

However, try to be more tolerant and open-minded towards people whose views don't exactly match your own. Actually, most of the smartest people I've ever met were quite religious. And very GOD-LOVING. They are also, I've found, the most tolerant of other people.

Perhaps, it's just that it takes one to know one:
For example, I have an iq over 160, graduated SummaCumLaude from my University, am a member of numerous Honor societies, and have created several Businesses.

You might also consider a place like Portland or Seattle. These are places that are liberal and have a lot of people that like to discuss 'ideas'. (yes, I've been to both.) They are also very scenic places, with a lot of things to do. Both have extensive LIBRARY systems.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,993,045 times
As others have said Colorado Springs "religious" reputation is blown way out of proportion. It is, however, politically Republican due to its high military presence there. That said. there are all sorts of people there, including whole sections of town that would be mostly liberal. You probably could find a group there in which you'd fit in.

Nevertheless, if a politically liberal area is important to you, then Colorado Springs quite may disappoint, since as a whole it's not. In fact, those really seeking a uniformly liberal haven will be hard-presed to find it anywhere in Colorado, depending of course on your defintion of liberal. For example, Denver (the city, not the metro area) is mainly poltically Democratic, but I wouldn't mark it as particularly liberal by big-city standards, partcularly not compared to many cities on either coast. Denver's suburbs range from conservative to moderate.

Since you're posting this in the "Fort Collins" forum, I'd say that it'd be a big stretch to consider Fort Collins as "liberal," but certainly a bit more so than Colorado Springs. Certainly with the presence of CSU in town, there are plenty of opportunities to meet avid readers.

Boulder is probably more your style, and in Colorado it certainly has a liberal reputation, and more importantly the town generally sees itself as liberal. That said, Compared to many towns on the coasts, it's not as far left as you'd be led to believe. Still, I'm guessing it's probably closest to what you're looking for in this state.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 AM

32 posts, read 120,317 times
People here are mostly humans, but some are not (I think).

Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xordite View Post
People here are mostly humans, but some are not (I think).
Agreed. The predominant race is "human".

Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 AM

52 posts, read 218,927 times
Colorado Springs conservative, church goers is over-blown - I will agree.

I have spent all last year and part of this checking out the area. Yes, there is huge churches and conservatives but I have also found a newly formed New Age / Psychic club that took off like fire. The lady started it and within a year has over 400 members and they are extremely active in the area with meet ups constantly. Where did all these New Agers come from?
Maybe, they were there all along.
I like diversity, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area