Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in whether anybody has kayaked in the reservoir or hiked in Horsetooth Mountain Park. It seems like it's a scenic spot, but I've never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
One disadvantage of reservoirs in the West is that when it comes to recreational use they mostly cater to the power boat crowd. I've never canoed or kayaked in Horestooth but I've hiked down to the shore in the summer and there's a lot of noise pollution from all of the motors. Still, it's probably one of the most scenic reservoirs in eastern CO so from a visual perspective, it would probably be great.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
I mountain bike in Horsetooth Mountain Park at least once a week, and have boated (motorized) on the reservoir. Both are very nice.

A day pass to hike and/or visit the lake runs $6 and you can buy at self serve kiosks at the parking areas. An annual pass runs about $65 for a Larimer County resident, and is good at other county parks, as well.

The hikes to Horsetooth Rock and Horsetooth Falls are the most popular. The views from the rock are fantastic and the cool spray from the falls is refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. If you have more time to hike, the Wathen and Mill Creek trails farther into the park are nice, and much less crowded.

Keep an eye out for wildlife. Two weeks ago we saw a black bear near the Stout trail, and there are usually lots of wild turkeys by the Mill Creek trail.

Have fun

Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
Many moons ago, my Grandfather and I would go fishing there, good times.
Beautiful place.

Last edited by Summerz; 06-23-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 04:47 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I've sailed 14' to 22' sailboats ... dinghys and keelboats ... on Horsetooth and Carter Lakes for over 30 years. They are interesting ... and challenging mountain lakes to sail due to the highly variable and very intense winds in/around/on the lakes. They can go from glass smooth to large whitecaps in a matter of seconds as a gust front comes across the lake ... and from many directions all at once. It can be a very violent lake to be on the water, so be very cautious and use your safety gear full time.

The water temps can also be very cold, so be prepared for hypothermic conditions when the water's rough.

I've found that you will have the lake almost to yourself on many weekdays through the summer season, and I've also had a fair number of weekend days with almost nobody else there. As noted, the power boats can be obnoxious at times ....

Hiking in the area is pretty nice. There are some other small mountain lakes up in the hills to the West of Horsetooth and Carter that have county park lands which aren't very heavily used, too.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:26 PM
DMP

10 posts, read 16,531 times
Default Horsetooth resevoir rentals?

Are there palces one can rent a bost on the Resevoir or are there any sightseeing excursions?
Thanks!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
I don't know of any sightseeing excursions, but you can rent boast from inlet bay marina:
Inlet Bay Marina, Horsetooth Reservoir, Fort Collins, Colorado

Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
You guys inspired us to hike over there tomorrow. We've lived here 10 years and have never been. I was trying to figure out somewhere to go, with the dog, not too far from home.

Thanks for the ideas!

Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
When we lived in Parker, we took our 16' Bowrider to both Chatfield and Cherry Creek Reservoirs. Never fished at CC, but caught some really nice rainbows at Chatfield in No Wake Area while bottom fishing with nightcrawlers from Walmart.

Took one weekend trip up to Horsetooth, by way of I-25. Had the Bowrider that time also. Back the boat off of the trailer, got out beyond the Marina and turned on the old Fish Finder. Plenty of fish showed up, that is until we dropped a hook, with bait, into the water. The Fish Finder screen completely cleared. Not a single fish showed up. So, gave up the "fishing" thing and just cruised the lake. All powerboats with tubes and water skiers.

Basically Chatfield and CC had only powerboats on it when we were at each.

We are looking very forward to seeing what Boyd and Carter lakes look like in Loveland. Our plans are to move to either there or perhaps Cheyenne in Spring of 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area