Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,564 times

Advertisements

I've been here in Flordia most of my life, and my family and I were looking at FC as a possible place to relocate. After visiting with my uncle in Montana the last few years, and being tired of the heat and crowds here we're ready for a change. I was impressed with the West but Montana's to remote and cold.

We have a home based day care and I'm a property appraiser, licensed by the state. We have kids ages 9,11, and 15. Our interests are the outdoors, church and I have a license to coach youth soccer (recreational). What are the possiblities of us fitting in given our family situation, occupations and interests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 PM

566 posts, read 1,943,917 times
I would check with the city for laws regarding home based day care. FC is a family town. If your 15 year old can adjust it should be a healthy experience for them. Lots of churches here. And because it is a family town there is a lot of soccer. But in general the job market is tight as it is everywhere these days. I wouldn't leave any job until I had firm new jobs lined up. Also my kids don't play soccer, but I should think that soccer play is seasonal here. Do the kids have other family in Florida? If so I personally wouldn't move. In nine years your youngest will be out of the house. Move then if you must..

Old 12-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks for your input. I had planned to visit the Fort Collins area to do some employment research, and see what the area's all about.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM

23 posts, read 81,140 times
If your children are excited about moving too, then don't wait. We put off a great opportunity in Colorado because we didn't want to uproot our kids (even though they didn't mind) and now they are adults, with grandchildren and so we still feel obligated to stick close to them back here in Minnesota. If you can get a fresh start in Colorado with your children, then do. You will have your immediate family with you and that helps.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 AM

26 posts, read 90,927 times
We moved to Fort Collins from Virginia (only stayed one year, but that's a different story). We had previously lived in the west for many years. Even so, it was an adjustment for our five kids, ages 2-16. What we found was that the schools were very good, and you have quite a bit of freedom as to where you can enroll your kids. Large class sizes, however. FC is a very recreation-friendly town. There are walking trails and bike lanes ALL OVER the town, and many many parks and green spaces. Off the top of my head, I think there are two indoor swimming pools and two indoor ice skating rinks. It is also a "college town" so to speak, with CSU right in the middle of town, so that adds some good and bad to the mix. There are lots of restaurants and things to do in the evening, even in the winter. Winter is cold, but since living in Nebraska, I have a whole new definition of cold! You get lots of sunshine even in winter, and there will be many winter days in the 40s and even 50s. Get ready to shovel some snow (your kids will love it). The summers are pleasant and you should LOVE them compared to the heat and humidity of Florida summers. There are two large hospitals in the area, three if you count Greeley, so access to healthcare is good. Loved the really great "supermarkets" that cater to healthy stuff and great produce. The Denver airport is an hour away, along with the rest of the "amenities" Denver can provide, but it is nice to not be in that congestion.

After a year of being there, our family had pretty well settled and was happy, yes, even the teenagers. Being involved in a church is a definite part of settling in. A previous comment said something about where the rest of your family is, and if you are close to extended family, you should consider that. Ours was all out west, so that wasn't a problem leaving Virginia, and we have been happy being able to visit with them more frequently since moving.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Thanks for your input. Everything helps.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,974,326 times
I have a friend who's son is heavily involved in soccer. Huge here to say the least. He plays year round. When he isn't playing outside he is doing an indoor soccer league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area