Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,253 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a Colorado native in the military currently stationed overseas. I am looking to do a follow-on tour at Buckley AFB in Aurora. My wife and I really love the community (and lower living costs) in Ft. Collins. In the long term (post-military), we want to live there for good. Having previously lived in four states and two other countries, however, we are very anxious to put and end to the constant moves...my ten year old son has already attended four schools. My tour at Buckley will last about three years...then I'll get out a finish up in the reserves. After leaving active duty, I'm looking to go back in the construction related industry (land surveying...is that as dead in Ft. Collins as in the rest of the country?)

So here's the question. Would it be better overall to just buy the house we want in Ft. Collins now and make the commute to Buckley AFB for three years (+/- 1.5 hours each way)? This would at least allow my wife to live where she wants and my son to finally keep his school and his friends. Or is it crazy to even talk about making a commute such as this (I know all too well about the icy roads)? Should we just compromise and live near Denver for three years, and then move (yet again)? Should we live somewhere in between? (Not sure about this option...my wife is sold on the schools and the community atmosphere in Ft. Collins...Firestone/Fredrick is a little too country from us).

So, is the Ft.Collins-->Aurora commute just too miserable to phathom for three years, or is it not all that bad when considering the benefits of a stable home and school in the place we want to live? Do any other Ft. Collins-ites commute to Denver/Aurora?

Would appreciate your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I would not do it. 1.5 hours may be the commute in good weather; in bad weather it could be much longer. Your son is 10, in 3 years will be 13 (yeah, I'm a math genius, lol). That would not be too old, IMO, to make a final move. I don't think any place is that great that it's worth driving yourself crazy, literally, in this case.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
In short, yes, it's crazy. First, I think your 1.5 hour commute to Buckley is more like a best case scenario. Traffic is going to be a real issue virtually your entire trip from Fort Collins to Aurora.

I think you'd be far better off moving to Fort Collins from Metro Denver once you're done with your three years. The town will still be there once you're ready.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,253 times
Sigh...makes alot of since. Guess we're tired of always making compromises, but heh, that's life, right?

Really appreciate the input.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:47 AM

321 posts, read 838,306 times
I'm a little late here, but if your long commute will only last for 3 years, and you are looking for permanent residence so that when you retire you will not have to move again, then I say it is NOT too far of a commute. Tiresome? On some days yes. Impossible? On some days yes. However, you have to look at the good and the bad both. How much fuel will you be using verses living in or around Aurora? Will the cost of living justify the higher fuel costs due to the increased commute? I still say that it's not too far of a commute, in my humble opinion. Coming from a military veteran, I know what it's like to move a lot and never feel like you have your family planted in one place, let alone putting your children in different schools and trying to make new friends constantly. 1.5 hours is not the longest commute I have ever made on a daily basis. You have to weight all the factors, and make a decision with your wife on what is best for not only your current needs, but also for your long term goals. Think about this for a moment, is your family's happiness and overall well being worth the sacrifice of a 3 hour round trip daily drive? You have made lots of sacrifices in the past, will you do so again? I'm not trying to push you to make the trip, but merely look again, from another perspective, and then make a confident, informed decision. Whichever you decide, I wish you and your family the very best.

Thanks for your committed service to this country and for all that you do.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:55 PM

37 posts, read 118,352 times
yes ... Land surveying is dead right now. I worked in civil engineering (land development) and was laid off this past summer. Along with everyone else I know. But that is not to say 3 years from now it might be up and going strong then. I am hoping sooner.

I use to drive from Ft Collins to the DTC. That drive become old real fast but it is doable if you are up to it.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:42 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
What makes it crazy to do this commute is the fact, generally overlooked, that it probably costs you on the order of EIGHTY CENTS PER MILE to operate your car! Some people will say that it's not that much since gas has gotten cheaper, but gas isn't the major cost of running a car.

DESTROYED VALUE is the number one cost of operating a car. I think the government allows about SEVENTY CENTS per mile now, not sure as I don't use a car for business anymore. Some car sites offer "true cost of operation" figures, I know edmunds does, or did.

Good luck. I know it's hard to put a price on lifestyle, but we have to put a price on everything we do, if we are to act rationally.

golfgod

Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 AM

18 posts, read 84,279 times
I used to make that commute for a year and it didn't bother me. I rode my motorcycle from Fort Collins to aurora and back everyday and loved the ride.
In winter i drove my truck and didn't enjoy it so much.
I could do it for three years tho.
Wear a face shield if you ride a cycle because the dragonflys will knock you out if they hit you in the face.
Once you hit thornton coming north out of Denver, just put the pedal to the metal, i used to streak to fort collins from thornton. 100 mph. but that was back in the day.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area