Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 29,149 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying some land around Fort Collins or Loveland. I'd like to get a nice 10+ acre lot with mountain view, not too high, year round access. Then I want to have my house built on the property. Does anyone have any idea on building costs in the rural areas near these cities?

A real estate again in Franklin, NC, that the costs were running $180-200/sq.ft for turn key construction. The house I'm thinking about would be 1500-2000 sq.ft. I would likely put up a dry shell and finished much of the interior with sweat equity as I'd be retired then, which should lower the building costs considerably.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM

226 posts, read 1,369,369 times
A lot will depend on your choice of finish work, the quality of construction, the size of the house and the builder you choose, but I think your friend has estimated a little high. My experience in other areas in Colorado have been $160 - $180 per square foot on the main level. The cost of the upper level will be a little less and finishing the lower level will be considerably less.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWolfe View Post
A lot will depend on your choice of finish work, the quality of construction, the size of the house and the builder you choose, but I think your friend has estimated a little high. My experience in other areas in Colorado have been $160 - $180 per square foot on the main level. The cost of the upper level will be a little less and finishing the lower level will be considerably less.
yeah, pretty high, but subs in this area are busy and property at a premium.

NOW is the time to buy materials, or through about April. I often 'prepay' my lumber packages before April. See if you can buy a place with a trashed mobile home, and already have utilities in place (and approval to build is easier, if mobile had a 'legal placement'.) Consider putting up a quick shop to live in and store materials.

You should be able to 'dry-in' for under $15/sq ft for framing + $250/ yd for footing and foundations + $1.50/sq ft for flatwork (all including materials) Windows are ~ $150 each and roofing $80/sq installed). Total shell had better be less than $40/sq ft... Finish material choices are biggest expense, and typically you are only 1/2 way through the money AFTER sheetrock . Tonight I am working up a spreadsheet for estimated building costs, but also a spreadsheet for comparing costs of different regions (Taxes, income, property, sales + groc + energy + fees + commuting...)

I can often build for ~$50/sq ft. (finished) but I do some creative shopping (like buying stuff at Habit for Humanity Stores, (a very good store in Loveland) and Re-building centers. I often buy windows from a dealer, as 'misorders',~ $20. and my last prehung doors were only $10 each. Light fixtures $5. I line up cabinets from manufacturers or places like Home Depot, (who've run a forklift through the side...) the sides don't show anyway, if designed around that... + you can fix easily. ...I.E. I collect materials, and build house around available stuff, as long as it doesn't look that way . We built a very cute 'swiss style Chalet' for $48/ sq ft. our last home school project. The kids cut the clear cedar bannisters with a 'forest' of fir trees on the band saw. We got a "super insulation" award and rebate for $5000, for only $1000 of insulation sealing measures. They (inspectors) did a lot of tests on the home (to verify our 'quality'...) AIR DOOR blow test (seal... ), 100% electrical and plumbing and framing. The inspectors told the kids it was one of the best wiring jobs they'd seen (I would hope so after house #4, and strict orders from me (a Toolmaker by trade) "Perfect ! is close enough...")

I also concentrate on building a 'low-tax' house, and add the fancy stuff AFTER the tax assessor visits. (no Islands, built-ins, decks, tile, marble or slabs till later) also I maximize Daylight basement Sq ft (1/4 the tax costs of main floor) AND in our case if you don't sheetrock till after July, you can save a years 'finished' taxes. Also minimize 'finished' bath units, pre-assessment

I think you should be able to get by fine in this area, but finding property will be a challenge. I typically try to never use a realtor, and instead find my desired areas, then go to the court house (or GIS) and determine "out-of-state" owners who have held for several yrs, then write them letters of interest to purchase their props. Now is also the best time to buy, Feb > April. Venture to Loveland for Valentines Day

Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,438 times
I found a similar question regarding consturciton cost but it was posted 2006. Need some updated if possible.

We are thinking of buying some land around Fort Collins or Loveland. I'd like to get a nice 1/2 - 1 acre lot with mountain views. Does anyone have any idea on building costs in these cities?

Last response said that the costs were running $180-200/sq.ft for turn key construction. The house I'm thinking about would be 2800 - 3800 sq.ft., single level, with upper quality features.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 PM

423 posts, read 1,958,946 times
As far as land goes for a .5-1 acre lot you are looking at anywhere from 40000-over 200000, and a 10 acre lot anywhere from 150000-over 300000. The thing you need to be most concerned about is the water issues.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
Question Looking for an Architect and Builder

StealthRabbit,
Do you still build in Loveland area? My family lives on a small lot with a big HOA, and we want to build a custom (not luxury, but nice) home on 1-3 acres where we can have a bit more agriculture in our lives. We have a home design in mind, but we need to figure out about how much it would cost to build so we can know better what our land budget is. I have been hoping to find a builder who finds cost-saving approaches like those you mentioned--I really hate for useful things to go to waste if I can possibly help it. And if you don't build for other people, do you have any recommendations of architects and builders in the area?
Thank you so much!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInNoCo View Post
StealthRabbit,
Do you still build in Loveland area? My family lives on a small lot with a big HOA, and we want to build a custom (not luxury, but nice) home on 1-3 acres where we can have a bit more agriculture in our lives. We have a home design in mind, but we need to figure out about how much it would cost to build s...
U want AG? 1st and foremost... find a place with WATER (lots of water) and good soils (if possible). Not in a draw (Cold spot). Optimizing the site plan will change your house plan (lighting, sun, wind, snow...)

2nd - what can you do yourself? find excellent people who can do the rest. There are plenty. (Interview, them and their clients). The good ones will be booked, have them fit you in during their lull time.

There are some building cost spreadsheets out there... get a detailed one and fill in the blanks! Find the going rate for concrete footings, flatwork, framing...(add 30%-50%). Realize when you get done w/ sheetrock, you have only spent 1/2 the total. If you are broke by then... whoops!

Should be able to get completed for $70 - $90/SF with you doing quite a bit.

HVAC is not trivial to get right, run it by a pro. IN a sunny climate have a LOT of 'zones' that you can operate independently. (Especially important using passive solar)

Find your own bargains / treasures (hope you are already shopping... it can take years to accumulate the right stuff )

What a great, fun, adventure! Enjoy the journey - don't stress - it will take a yr out of your life. Don't expect to get done early.

DON"T USE a BANK!!! figure out something, ANYTHING... Wait if necessary.

(I use HELOCs, Margin Accts, Leveraged loans off other RE, borrow from private friends, (bridge loan / usually free from other friends who do the same for short term, borrow from your kids! (I do that too, but give them great interest for bridge loans ~ 7 -10% if I can hack it... I put it in their IRAs)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-16-2017 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area