Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

I have over a year to really narrow down where to move, but I am flirting with the idea of moving to Fort Collins. I am going back to school for Data Assurance and IT Security , and I will be done next December. My mother is a senior, and on SSDI. She's on a fixed income that's livable where we are presently (Rockford, IL). The problem is trying to move her out. She's willing to compromise to move in the area with me but is extremely worried about housing. When you compare Fort Collins to Rockford, housing is 227% more. I am just seeing what others do. She has a house, but she will most likely have to foreclose on it, since it's so bad out of shape, and she doesn't have much equality on it.
We love that Fort Collins seems to be a lot safer, healthier. We camped out in the Rocky Mountains this year, and fell in love. We aren't really into pot smoking, but I am looking into CBD oils to help her with pain management.
I just don't know what section 8 housing is like, I am assuming we will contact the local Social Security office of Larmier County. I am just trying to get a feel what others have dealt with, who are in a similar position. She hates not being able to work, she worked 30 years before going on disability. She does try to refurbish lamps and furniture, but as she has gotten older, she doesn't have the stamina.
Also, how nice are people in the area? We visited Boulder, and we both didn't like the snotty vibe. I don't know if it's more the college that's gives off that attitude, not so much the locals. We would consider a burb off Denver, but we are trying to avoid living in the "city". I will plan to visit Fort Collins before cementing a move, but I like hearing other people's experiences.
I thank anyone who bared it through my post, I am just trying to get a feel for this area.
I just want to move somewhere where my mom will be happy, too. If that means just moving closer to Chicago, so she can afford housing, I will do it. I wish I could afford to pay for her housing, but my starting wage won't be enough. But if we can try somewhere else, I want to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 10:29 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Has your mother lived her whole life in IL? It might be a big shock to go from IL to CO, and cultural/environmental differences, and being far away from friends/family/familiarity. I agree that Boulder can come across as snooty, but I've found some of that in FC too. Remember that FC is also a college town. In my experience though, it isn't the college students in either location creating that impression.

As you indicated, costs and COL (cost of living) are an important matter. If housing is "227% more" in CO, that would be a significant change, especially for those on a limited income. Others might disagree, but to me, the trend is continuing up. So, it's not just how it is now that is relevant, but the trends and the future direction. That's something I missed in my research for this relocation. I had old data of jobs/industry that are no longer here, and also an unclear image of the trends in COL.

As far as Section 8 housing, I do not know. Hopefully you can get good data on that, as well as visit to get a closer inspection of how things are (and would be) here. You mentioned that you "fell in love" on your visit. Beware of the powerful "CO vacation vs. day-living" syndrome. On vacation, you'll be focused on scenery, while bills/expenses will probably be out of view. Inversely, if you have to struggle with costs, you'll be focused on them while the scenery fades out of view. I've personally seen that in action. Good luck!

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-23-2016 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,436 times
Great honest response Sunderpig2. We were just talking about that, I feel she would be so worried about spending, that she couldn't be able to enjoy the area.

I saw what someone else wrote about SSDI "you live where you can, not where you want".

It was just an idea, but reality I think is proving this isn't a smart move.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Thanks. I certainly don't want to squash anyone's dreams. I just know that a lot is involved in any relocation, and certain criteria can spoil the odds of a comfortable and enjoyable transition. No matter where your move occurs, I am hoping you experience mutual happiness and an improvement in conditions. Best of wishes!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
look for areas in Colorado that have available section 8 housing, then pick your pleasure. I suspect Greeley is far more likely to fit your needs, and it is not far from Ft Collins.

Longmont would have better work options for your future employment, as Ft Co is saturated with un / underemployed tech workers. (several big companies pulled out of town leaving a wasteland of tech).

Colorado Springs is a better choice than Ft Collins for section 8, and services, and far more accessible to what is good in Colorado.

as mentioned.... if you are struggling in IL, you might drown in CO, so make a sustainable plan BEFORE you jump ship. Check other threads, as there are some cheap places to live in CO, but that would not include Ft Co. some of these places may have far more accessible services and available section 8 housing. You want to focus on non-popular destinations that would work for you.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
There was an old folk community right off of horsetooth and shields that charged something like $400 a month a couple of years ago, I worked with a guy who moved there right after he retired. He got a 1 bedroom apartment with free utilities and I believe basic cable and lower speed internet as well as breakfast and lunch for free everyday. He loved it there but ended up moving out of state to be closer to a sick daughter.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 7,581 times
Default Rockford to Fort Collins

Colorado is one of 13 states that can tax social security and I am guessing SSDI. I do not think the whole of the check is taxed and perhaps, depending on your income, nothing. I am not very intelligent about tax issues, but I would suggest that you ask an official in Co who knows. I think the minimal rate is 4.63%, just double-check that and be aware.
I know very little about Colorado, but I lived in Rockford about 5 years ago and took care of my mother. I know that Rockford has some serious long-term issues. At the time, we lived in a nice 202 building (section 8 for elderly) which was sold and went from good to bad VERY quickly. I got out about a year after she died. To me, as one gets older, the type of building you live in, can really have an impact-financially and emotionally. HUD Section 8 or section 202 has some nice buildings, not always, you have to do your homework. The HUD buildings are generally 30% of the leaseholders income. Tax credit buildings are sometimes a little higher because they are, I believe, based on the average income of the region. To add to the confusion, the type of housing can vary from state to state and even county to county. I am 65 now, and to me, if you can find a well-managed building with like-minded people, your mother would probable settle in nicely. I look for decent public transportation as well, just in case. Check "low-income senior housing" (usually can start at 55 or 62, usually HUD -funded; if you are designated caretaker, you can live with her) and often these "senior" buildings will allow younger SSDI as well. Sometimes non-profits will offer low-income housing, but their sites may not be listed on the HUD websites. I have done long-distance moves several times in my life, in fact I am still looking! It can be challenging but rewarding as well. Your mother is very lucky to have you! Don't get discouraged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area