Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 11:08 AM

263 posts, read 230,853 times

Advertisements

Hey, City-Data, you've been good to me over the years. I needed to make an account to type up my thoughts on this complex matter and more importantly to get perspective from any of you great people out there reading this.

My goal here is to make CLEAR my opinionated perspective or whatever you'd like to see it as on here...I've visited NOLA a couple of times in different seasons and have done some reading and comparing perspectives 'research' if you wanna call it that since having last visited. On the other hand, I haven't been in Colorado long, but there are some distinguished benefits here.

I am a 25 year old, single white cisgendered heterosexual male, if this sways your decision at all.

THE GOOD or why I am considering moving with my roommates

- Really stellar live music-based culture..busking in the French Quarter etc....see I haven't been in Colorado long enough (no summertime experience) to compare, but I doubt someone on Pearl St. in Boulder can get it poppin like some of the musicians I've heard on street and in bar alike in NOLA (not just the French Quarter) AND it's just not as normal up here...correct me if you see it otherwise.

- Great food...oyster poboy is not something I'd order up here near the Wyoming border.. ..& I think it's a fair assumption there is a lot I have yet to discover in the city. The food in Colorado is not amazing. I have had good hispanic style foods here but they're good everywhere I've been. I haven't even been able to find any elk yet what's up with that?

These two points form the greater part of what I think of as the 'European' touch that so many describe NOLA having (having been to the Mediterranean only once and in one location) I'm talking 'what is truly markedly different'

sidenotes: cool architecture is kinda nice...drinking in parks is cool. Also the massive oaks along Carrollton for example...NOLA has beautiful nature....turtles & butterflies +

- 'subtropical climate' i enjoy not putting on a ton of clothing and having the freedom to walk barefoot. Water is also cool, although I'm not huge on swimming, boating is sometimes fun although expensive/hassle etc...much more into hot springs and hiking to them....NOLA is far from those opportunities, but I'm also not crazy about -25 to 25 degree weather which we've been experiencing some of so far this autumn.

- PEOPLE......people are cool, I've got friends here and I've got friends there. It'll be sad watching my roommates go, especially with their dogs, but I'm open to keeping my friends who are staying here as well. I like ethnic diversity...sometimes people from different cultures do cool stuff that's different and I like that, ya know?......I don't care what my friends races are, but I somehow feel more comfortable when there's a mix of white, black & brown folk for example. Might have to do with being from the mid-atlantic? This is something I haven't cared for in Colorado and the PNW...everyone is white...but in a way this is superficial.

So overall there's a little bit of a looser-freer feeling kind of society where I can be in gym shorts drinkin a nice craft beer in the park legally when i'm off of work 300 days out of the year AT LEAST! Free music, positive energy, ye! & closer to the east coast for a drive to NYC, appalachia, etc.

THE BAD or why I am considering staying in Colorado

- Crime. It's not hard to understand that very direct & violent crime is more easily carried out efficiently and frequently in a warmer climate. NOLA is known for this.

I've gotten around various cities on foot at night including this one and been around scary people and never had a problem, but I'm not really trying to get shot or stabbed or have stuff taken out of my place while I'm gone. I've only been uncomfortable face to face with somebody strange in the depths of a city twice in my life but I did not like that feeling. I'm not a fighter.

On the other hand, stuff goes on here especially in Denver, and I know there are hard drugs here like anywhere else, but I doubt it compares at all to even the nicer parts of NOLA. Really, tell me otherwise, I wanna know.

- Homeless folk - warmer climate problems. I've got no illusions about the different homeless cultures in the US. I have friends from all different backgrounds, but it's not exactly a winning point for a city. See also young & dumb schwilly oogles who think they rule the world. Not to say there are no homeless folk in CO.

- Lack of medical and recreational cannabis. This might not be an issue for you but I've got health problems that this stuff quells. From what I understand Louisiana is a very cruel place toward cannabis people. I hear NOLA has decriminalized it or whatever, but it just doesn't compare to the situation in Colorado. Maybe you can tell me otherwise from experience?

Are there really no state-legal medical cannabis/ THC products in Louisiana at all?

So this is what I'm getting at...alcohol does terrible things to people.....& there is less of an outlet without the mountains there especially if you're not a true musician...ocean's nice to see & hear & in some cases smell but are you going to go down to the Gulf for a swim?

- ECONOMY....from what I understand it's all about the service industry in NOLA. Woo, that is NOT exciting for someone with two bachelor's degrees who is fluent in Spanish. I have worked in restaurants and whatnot and I am trying to do something different right now and basically 'through my five year plan' (bout to make one of those...)...

& to be frank, it may be that one day I'd want to manage a nice microbrew or 'ethnic cuisine' type establishment? - NOLA is probably a more fun place for that than Chi/PDX/etc. but I doubt it's less competitive AND I doubt it's as lucrative! OUCH...I feel like even though 'the Boulder area' is CRAZY expensive, NOLA is going to hurt my wallet just as heartily! Tell me otherwise, this is what the thread is for.

Are there any economic benefits between the two states that I'm missing? I am renting currently but I am a potential homebuyer as well.

- SCHOOLING I'm not a family man so don't get it twisted... but I'm probably going to go to grad school and it just SEEMS like there's a lot more better opportunities here than in NOLA...it seems JUST as expensive for 'quality' schooling anyway!

What would be better for a graduate going into teaching Spanish as a second language to native English speakers? Tulane/Loyola? CU Boulder? I KNOW IT DEPENDS ON THE PROFESSOR I WORK WITH.....Please give me your opinionated perspectives!!!!

- Hurricanes/etc..the area we're in now has flooding problems, but I'd hate to lose my vehicle/clothes/life to another Katrina situation. & if history repeats itself 'the man' may not be so helpful if the levees break again

So on the other hand, staying here and forging my own way poses challenges, but as long as the geyser in Yellowstone doesn't go off, it seems relatively safer in all aspects...including my health and the area is more financially stable and climbing. Farther from home and family but closer to the best coast/inland empire for great road trips....11 hrs to the grand canyon and 20 hrs to olympia. Cold, have to pay for heating costs and there is the risk of pipes breaking. Bummer, but.

Seems like my money will go just AS far here, maybe a bit father than in Louisiana? I am curious as to what you can tell me.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. All responses are strongly appreciated, and if you have any questions about the front range area, you can contact me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Young grasshopper, this old head says stay here, it's "green" here, be your own man, make your own way.

Your roommates must follow their own lives, you must follow your own. They are as near as social media, no need to form actual communes or band of gypsies.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
It sounds to me like you want to be in New Orleans but you are worried about what could happen and you are worried about weed. While we do not have hurricanes, we do have tornadoes, some floods, wild fires, and plenty of severe weather that will destroy vehicles, we also are pretty close to volcanic activity in Yellowstone that is overdue to erupt and will likely destroy the entire state. If you are worried about once in a lifetime happenings than you should compare the 2.

AS for the Marijuana, with the availability of it on the street in pretty much every small town in the country, I do not know if I would let that be my deciding factor, although I can understand it being a part of the process, as my daughter depends on the tinctures to control her seizures.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Young grasshopper, this old head says stay here, it's "green" here, be your own man, make your own way.

Your roommates must follow their own lives, you must follow your own. They are as near as social media, no need to form actual communes or band of gypsies.
I appreciate the sentiment of your response.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
It sounds to me like you want to be in New Orleans but you are worried about what could happen and you are worried about weed. While we do not have hurricanes, we do have tornadoes, some floods, wild fires, and plenty of severe weather that will destroy vehicles, we also are pretty close to volcanic activity in Yellowstone that is overdue to erupt and will likely destroy the entire state. If you are worried about once in a lifetime happenings than you should compare the 2.

AS for the Marijuana, with the availability of it on the street in pretty much every small town in the country, I do not know if I would let that be my deciding factor, although I can understand it being a part of the process, as my daughter depends on the tinctures to control her seizures.
Thank you for your response, jwiley.

I am too naive to really Know where I Want to be, so I am trying to reduce that. I'm trying to really ponder on this because they are two sort of opposite (in my view) yet equally distinguished locations. I know so far they are both great places to visit, and by the time I'll either need new roommates or a new place, I'll have a better idea of the front range area's livability.

I did not take into account the wildfires up here. Tragic. & the geyser, we agree on that too, and that'd be much more of an incomparable disaster. You made a point there.

As for the cannabis - it has unfortunately caused my body some friction when I am visiting outside of a legal area - the quality is not comparable 9/10 times elsewhere (basically a waste of money, low THC/CBD not quelling symptoms, potentially 'laced' and of course dealing directly with potentially dangerous people, 'pushers' and 'police' alike)

I find the (supposed until heard otherwise) complete lack of Legal-Medical in Louisiana to be a major burden I'd take on. Relocating to a state where at least Medical is recognized would be much more feasible..for instance I'm really glad - for both you and her - that your daughter has access to the tinctures here. I'm sure that as a parent you know what 'the alternatives' are doing to people.

Thanks again

Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
If you are truly dependent upon medical MJ, then I would see that as the number one priority of deciding where to live. Perhaps you should confine your possible move search to those states who actually have legalized the sale of MJ to make it easier on you. New Orleans is a great place to visit, but maybe not such a great place for you to live.

You've obviously done a lot of thinking about this, but I think you really need to focus on what is really important. Make a list -- jobs, MJ, climate (heat and humidity vs cold and low humdity). Things like music and friends can be found anywhere. Do you really think that more homeless people in the South is going to be a detriment to you? Is the possibility of Yellowstone volcano erupting really going to happen in our lifetime?

And don't forget -- this move is not permanent. If you try a place out for a while and aren't happy, then you can always move!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 AM

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Thanks for your response - just really solid advice, I have a lot of respect for that.

To get technical...I am (at this point) not 'truly/exclusively dependent'* on mmj - but in comparison to the alternatives for the issues I deal with every day - it's far and away the best option in every aspect...so it* is a moot point.

I think other than that my focus is on money..shocker eh.. I'm single, 25 with extremely minimal assets (car won't likely be worth it to sell), student loan debt (<10,000 but very important to me) medical debt (to be disputed, lol), car insurance (& maintenance) & phone bill, plus you know rent, transport & food...I've GOT to make money or else.

This is probably where I need to do my most research to see how much farther my dollar goes here v. there with all things considered - neither are the cheapest places.

Climate differences - that's a tough one...I think i can deal with LA summers better than CO winters, but that's clearly more of a want than a need. The 'optional' (I know some would debate this) A/C in the summer and no freezing winters is a huge draw to NOLA. (I don't do any winter sports)

"more homeless really a detriment?" I've never been robbed and I'm not particularly afraid, I suppose I'm just acknowledging that I wouldn't be nearly as suprised to be mugged/attacked anywhere in NOLA vs anywhere I frequent in Colorado.

I don't mean to put all homeless folk in a category, but it's often when someone has less to lose that one's more willing to do unethical and desparate, violent things...which are so much easier done in warmer climates as I see it.

As for the benefits like access to live music, exceptional food, certain friends & assumed 'more social population' and types of natural disasters/potential survival situations - I see these are not at all where my focus should be.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:31 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
thanks for the appreciation, OP.

Your first post was good in that you showed that you've done a lot of thinking about this. Too much, in my opinion. I'm glad that I could at least help narrow down what is really important to you. These decisions are very hard to make.

What kind of work do you do? Since apparently you are already in Colorado, you must know what jobs are available to you here. What about in New Orleans? Would you be able to get work to support yourself?

Have you looked at jobs in cities in Washington and Oregon, where mj is legal? It seems to me that finding work would be the highest priority for you.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:00 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Honestly for me there's absolutely nothing that New Orleans can offer that would overcome the terrible climate and lack of topography. Sure the food is great and the architecture is amazing, but it's oppressively humid and completely flat. Great place to visit but an awful place to live.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
thanks for the appreciation, OP.

Your first post was good in that you showed that you've done a lot of thinking about this. Too much, in my opinion. I'm glad that I could at least help narrow down what is really important to you. These decisions are very hard to make.

What kind of work do you do? Since apparently you are already in Colorado, you must know what jobs are available to you here. What about in New Orleans? Would you be able to get work to support yourself?

Have you looked at jobs in cities in Washington and Oregon, where mj is legal? It seems to me that finding work would be the highest priority for you.
Yep I have always been an over-thinker.

Ah, thank you so much for following up asking me about work. I just now stopped myself from typing out my work history though

Most of my work has involved 'public service', and my main notable skill is using and understanding Spanish. So in my opinion, I may not ever get rich, but I could live and work almost anywhere in the U.S.....

At this point, some career paths that I am considering are (some sort of) therapy or teaching Spanish grammar to English speakers. I enjoy helping people.

One has gotta be purely committed for the entire graduate school experience, though, I believe.

Anyway thanks for helping me bounce ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area