Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM

61 posts, read 301,254 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

My husband and I vacation frequently from Chicago, IL to the Front Range area of CO and this year (next week) I will be staying in Estes Park for about 4 days Thanksgiving Weekend.

I've been to Estes several times, so I'm not looking for general info on the town itself, I'm looking for any residents or experts who have some specific info they could share with me!

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations, any activities you would recommend (in the town itself or RMNP too), and just any great suggestions of things I don't want to miss next (next) weekend.

We will be going to the "Come Catch the Glow" celebration & parade on the 23rd. There seem to be a lot of activities - the web site it starts at noon with a parade at 5:30. Anything specific we won't want to miss?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you all have!

Happy Holidays!
Joy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
I've only ever eaten in the restaurant at the Stanley Hotel but I had a good experience. Food and service were good and not hideously expensive.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
give my regards to debbie and tom
rangers for the park service, dear and long time friends of mine.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 AM

178 posts, read 509,768 times
The original Dunraven is the best place in Estes to eat.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,615 times
Default Things to do in Estes Park

Ok - I grew up in Estes Park so I don't know if I qualify as an 'expert' but I can certainly give you some insight.

Places you'll want to eat -
Craigs Lodge which is up the mountain by the big slide (take Elkhorn to Moraine and Moraine south - keep going straight up the mountain). Great food and fun lodge type atmosphere. Moderately expensive.

Mary's Lake Lodge - follow signs to RMNP but then turn left on Mary's Lake Road. Wind back in and you'll see the lodge on your right past the lake. Moderately expensive

Sweet Basilico - Good italian food (ambiance is a bit odd, but the food is good). It's at Moraine and Riverside by the big slide.

Not to be missed Candy shop - Laura's Fudge or Haley's (right across the street from each other at the intersection of Elkhorn and Moraine, and owned by the same person). Laura's is the original and the fudge is to DIE FOR. Awesome caramel and fantastic caramel corn too. Stay away from the taffy. You'll want to go to the EP taffy shop for that (which is likely closed except for limited hours on Saturday.)

For an inexpensive meal, go to Bob & Tony's pizza - it's been there 30 years and is really good pizza (maybe not the authentic Chicago you're used to but good for Colorado). It's pretty slow so allow extra time.

The Christmas Shop in the "mall" is a fun experience too - they have literally thousands of christmas items and ornaments. Fun place to get a keepsake.

The Other Side Restaurant is also good (sit in the dining room, not the coffee shop) which is at the corner of Moraine and Mary's Lake Road. They do a dynamite Sunday champagne brunch and it sits on a little lake with a deck and ducks, etc. Nice atmosphere - you probably need reservations for brunch.

Nicky's on Fall River Road is a good steakhouse - again, sit in the dining room, not the coffee shop.

There is a steak place that is good downtown but i don't konw what it's called. It's above the Wheel bar and you enter from the back of the building. The Wheel bar is right in the middle of downtown.

For bars, I prefer Lonigan's to The Wheel - both kind of dives/honky tonks but the lonigan's crowd (at least used to be) less rowdy.

I'd stay away from Penelope's hamburgers - mean people and so so greasy food (that's downtown near the church shops).

The Courtyard Shops are fun to explore but be prepared for a massive amount of stairs. Lot's of quaint little shops. That's at Elkhorn and the park roughly but it sits back away from the road up by the jewelry store.

If it's nice weather, and you're up for a hike, the Twin Owls hike isn't too tough. You can drive up to RMNP to Bear Lake which is picturesque and not too far in. Wildlife can be seen just about anywhere, but the Mary's Lake area is a good bet.

Estes has all day events planned for the day after Thanksgiving so there will be lots to do. Have fun - hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area