Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 26,287 times

Advertisements

Hello -

We're likely moving to the Loveland area and I'm researching homes online. I want to be sure I understand what I'm seeing.

Very few homes in my state have basements, so here's my question: When you see a listing that says 3 beds, 3 baths, but ALSO has a full finished basement that has sleeping space and a bathroom, does the listing include the basement space as beds and baths? OR - would the basement space be in addition to the 3 beds and 3 baths in the main part of the home?

Thanks in advance for helping me clear this up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM

718 posts, read 1,986,366 times
Short answer: The number of bedrooms and baths included in most online data includes any rooms in the finished basement.

Long answer: When we input listing data into the local MLS database, we are required to input the number of baths on each level of the home, and whether they are a 1/2, 3/4, or full baths. Most online data sources have a data sharing agreement with the MLS, but they do not always provide the information is as much detail as is provided to the MLS. Typically the outside websites provide the number of baths as a whole number and include all of the baths in the home, no matter the level of the home on which the bath is located.

Likewise, we input the number of bedrooms and the level of the home on which the bedroom is located. We are also required to indicate how many of the bedrooms are conforming bedrooms (those with adequate egress windows and closets), but this data is not usually provided by the outside websites. Most websites just provide the total number of bedrooms.

Additionally, when you are looking at total square feet, the number includes basements but not garages. Our MLS input distinguishes between above grade square feet and basement square feet, and even shows the total square footage with basement finish vs. the total square feet not including the square footage. However, due to the limited amount of data uploaded by some websites, you may not always see this level of detail.

Good luck in your search!
Mike Weber

Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Thanks very much for this helpful information!

Is there a website that will break it down in as detailed a manner as you've described? Do us regular folks have access to ALL of the data that you input, or are we limited to the outside websites?

Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM

718 posts, read 1,986,366 times
The local MLS has a consumer site (www.coloproperty.com)which is probably the most detailed and up to date information available to the consumer. I believe data is refreshed hourly. On the property detail screens, you can see room dimensions (including bedrooms) and on what level of the home the rooms are located. The number of bathrooms is broken down by 12, 3/4, and full, but the level of the home on which the bathrooms are located is not specified.

Mike Weber

Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Excellent information. Thank you.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by august26th View Post
Thanks very much for this helpful information!

Is there a website that will break it down in as detailed a manner as you've described? Do us regular folks have access to ALL of the data that you input, or are we limited to the outside websites?

Thanks again.
Listen to Mike, he is one of the best.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 PM

192 posts, read 470,956 times
Also..... I moved from an area that had no basements and had thought of them as dark and damp. This is not the case with most colorado basements. I have seen many that have incredible natural light, are very quiet, and are cool in the summer. I loved my basement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area