Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM

10 posts, read 59,611 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We are in the process of relocating from the Baltimore, Maryland area to Fort Collins. We have been the Baltimore area for 2 years. Prior to that I lived in Southeast Aurora for 2 years and Longmont, CO for 17 years. We are so excited to be moving back to Colorado and Fort Collins was our number 1 choice of place we wanted to live.

We are in the process of purchasing our 1st home and are having a hard time deciding where in Fort Collins to live or if it makes sense for us to look in the surroudning communities such as Windsor, Wellington, and Loveland since you get more house for your money. Staying within Fort Collins and Poudre School District would be my preference.

In the fall our children will be entering 6th, 5th, and 3rd grade so great schools are very important to us. Also important is staying within our budget (under $220,000), and a reasonable commute for my husband (he works at Anheuser Busch).

I have been to Fort Collins numerous times and even have a close friend who lives there but am not familiar with specific neighborhoods or schools. The whole process is overwhelming and especially difficult to do from across the country.

Our target area so far is Southeast Fort Collins, south of Mulberry, east of College (though east of Lemay would be better), and north of Trilby. This area of town seems to be zoned to the best schools, close to shopping, and entertainment, close to I-25 (important for both my husband's commute and visiting our friends/family that live in Longmont, Broomfield, Denver). The biggest problem we are running into is nothing in our price range is coming up in that part of town. We are hoping for 4 beds, 2 baths, 2 car garage, and only single family and something that is big enough for 5-6 people.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Our relator has suggested we look into the new construction in Maple Hill. While the houses look nice for the price they are zoned to Lincoln Middle School and from the data I can find, Lincoln Middle School is not a place I would be comfortable sending my kids. Liberty Common Charter School looks like a great school, though we'll be moving in late June so I don't know if they'll be spots. Fossil Ridge High School also seems like a great school.

There seem to be many good elemntary schools in town but if there are any I should stay away from (in your opinion) please share. Also what are considered the best and worst middle and high schools in town.

This will be my oldest child's 4th school so we do not want to rent and move again. We are hoping to buy into a family friendly neighborhood with good schools and stay there long term.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:17 PM

85 posts, read 249,484 times
I would suggest checking out Shendandoah (Sub) or Ridgewood Hills? My neighbor works at Anheiser so it's an easy commute. We're about ten minutes from I-25. We're about 10 - 15 minutes from Old Town (straight up College) depending on traffic. Coyote Ridge is the elementary school here and while it's Thompson School District, it's the flagship school and has the best scores in the area. It's highly desired. The houses for sale in these subs (they are next to each other) are definitely in your price range. The sub is located near College and Trilby. Lots close by and trails throughout the subs, parks for little ones.

We just relocated here not long ago. Timnath is still being developed so if you moved there you'd probably always be driving to the other side of I-25 and back in to Fort Collins. You'd be much farther from everything that isn't in the new shopping area up on Harmony and Ziegler area.

The subs I mention (we live in Ridgewood Hills) are quiet, NICE, filled with kids of all ages, from babies up through high school, and have a trail system throughout and parks and the school and a swim club. I would definitely put it on your list to consider. And congratulations on your transfer back to Colorado.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM

I understand Windsor is more pricey and it's farther away from Anheiser but not so much that it isn't doable. Wellington is awfully rural. It's a cute little community but...very very rural and you'd always be driving into FC for restaurants, shopping, etc. Loveland has some new areas that are nice over near Centerra but their downtown isn't as vibrant (my opinion - not trying to offend ANYBODY) as FC. However, lots going on in Loveland AND FC to bring businesses, industries, etc. I just think for your kids that FC would be a better move - and if you look at the scores - the schools in FC ... like I said Coyote Ridge scores are phenomenal...that could help your decision. A nice thing about Ridgewood Hills is we're at the south side of FC so we can get into Loveland very easily since we're so close (fun restaurants downtown, etc and we frequent Centerra for shopping and dining). To me it's the best of everything because the new Harmony shopping area is close by, it's not far from Old Town, and Loveland is close. I-25 is close as well. AND it has the great schools. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 PM

166 posts, read 432,926 times
I just relocated here from Michigan in November. We bought a home in your range in SE Fort Collins (Timberline/Horsetooth area).. Very nice neighborhood, nice sized yards, close to everything. I have a son in college here, so no youngsters in school, but i hear very good things about the elementary school in my neighborhood. (Linton). good luck with your move, I know it's stressful to manage everthing from the other side of the country! Hang in there

Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM

10 posts, read 59,611 times
Thanks for your replies so far!

@Movingin2new I will look into those subdivisions and elementary school. We were hoping to stay in Poudre schools but maybe I should reconsider. I've know a few people myself who went to Thompson Valley High School and didn't have the greatest experience but that was many years ago and maybe thins have changed. I think Wellington is too rural and too far from everything for me but hubby disagrees. Windsor is a maybe but I prefer Fort Collins overall.

@Juliemac That is encouraging! I have seen some houses for sale in our price range that go to Linton Elementary and it seems like a nice school. The more we've looked the more it seems we want to try to stay in the southeast quadrant of Fort Collins. Right now there is a home in Harmony Crossing in our price range (Harmony and Timberline) that I am hoping is still for sale when I come out to house hunt in two weeks.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Brenbug: One thing to consider with schools, there are cuts going on all over the state (and country) to school systems, and this will have an effect. I've been reading about it in the Coloradoan paper. If high school (and perhaps middle school) is more important to you - that is probably where you should focus.

When we first moved here, a colleague (native) explained that the new development to Fort Collins has been to the south and west of the city.

There are a lot of nice areas in Fort Collins so I don't think you could go wrong. It sounds as if your hubby would like something more rural - however, if you would always end up traveling somewhere else for your shopping and dining and children's activities (such as if your kids are in dance or gymnastics or on a baseball team, etc) it could become a hassle. It seems like it would be nicer to move to the city/area where you and your family will be spending most of the time.

We live so close to Loveland that I have the option of looking at recreactional opportunities in both Loveland and Fort Collins for my kids. I also live in an area where I can choose to go to Old Town, or to Centerra, or to Harmony Rd for what I need/want to do - and it takes very little time to get there.

When you think about it, more than just the school you'll have your kids in, think about where the parks are, and where the activities are. Where will you do your shopping and going out to eat? Where is the movie theatre? If you move to a rural area where that is all far away, you introduce a new level of complexity to your life in always having to travel to get where you want/need to go.

Also, how close will you be to medical attention if you need it? We have an Urgent Care close by and we also have the Medical Center of the Rockies. We had to drive there from Wellington when my daughter hit her head on the playground and it was a long nerve-wracking drive.

Just a few considerations. As for FC itself, I don't think you can go wrong. Most areas seem to have something to offer, depending what your priorities are.

Try not to stress about it. I know you aren't thrilled about renting but pehraps you would consider that? In our neighborhood, (we rent right now) the people who had this house before us bought one in this same neighborhood. The folks across the street just relocated here and they are renting but looking to buy. Renting here just gives them an opportunity to get a feel for things while they figure out where they want to buy.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Brennbug: This is information I got from a native...

]Ridgewood Hills was a ranch - and not that long ago. The barn you see just to the south of the "east" exit of the subdivision was one of the original barns. Back in the '80's most of the area south of Harmony road was farm/ranch ground. At that time, Drake Rd. was the last major street to the south in Ft. Collins - it wasn't until the '90's that much of the Harmony (and south) area was developed.

The growth of Ft. Collins started with the small log cabins you see near the public library in Old Town. It's grown south ever since...hence the newer home-builds you see as one travels south. It is also interesting to note the evidence of good and bad economies as one travels south on College Ave. from Old Town. You'll notice a larger amount of subdivisions south Prospect (50's builds = good times), and around Drake (70's builds = good times), and significantly smaller subdivisions put up in the 60's and 80's. By the time the mid-90's came along...well, that accounts for the growth you see from Harmony (east, west, and south) to Loveland (the most prosperous times in Ft. Collins' history).
About 4 times/year the Chamber puts on a walking tour of Old Town (coupled with a wine tasting), where they explain much of the history of Ft. Collins - I'd highly recommend that.

You are correct about the transient nature of this area. One can trace history back quite a ways - in my subdivision in Windsor (River West), they found remains of a Mastodon (sp?), along with arrow-heads/knives the natives used to butcher it out. CSU has put a temporary tent around the site while they excavate it. Very interesting.....

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Here are two articles (from Coloradoan) that have to do with real estate in Northern Colorado.

Bank-owned houses still flooding Northern Colorado | The Coloradoan | coloradoan.com

and

Timnath housing site fails to take flight | The Coloradoan | coloradoan.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area