Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,083 times

Advertisements

In the terms written in a foreclosure of a property that is in a HOA .... where it reads...

"If this property is a condominium unit, the purchaser of the unit at the foreclosure sale, other than a mortgagee shall pay the assessments and the legal fees required by The Condominium Property Act"

Would that mean that the purchaser of said property is responsible for all unpaid Dues and incurred legal fees?

If so... if I were to purchase a home like this, is there a way i can find out what fees/unpaid dues there are a head of time?

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,584,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
In the terms written in a foreclosure of a property that is in a HOA .... where it reads...

"If this property is a condominium unit, the purchaser of the unit at the foreclosure sale, other than a mortgagee shall pay the assessments and the legal fees required by The Condominium Property Act"

Would that mean that the purchaser of said property is responsible for all unpaid Dues and incurred legal fees?

Probably, but you should read the Condominium Property Act to be sure. Here is a link: 765*ILCS*605/**Condominium Property Act.

If so... if I were to purchase a home like this, is there a way i can find out what fees/unpaid dues there are a head of time?

Have a title company run a title search. You may also be able to contact the HOA directly and ask how much is due. But you should really do a title search to find out if there are any other liens or fees against the property you may be responsible to pay off.

Thanks in advance,
See above.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 PM

845 posts, read 2,328,149 times
Your contract will (hopefully) stipulate that they will give it to you with all back hoa and taxes paid. I've bought two in the last year, this way. Transfer fees, sids, lids, and other capital contributions are an entirely different matter.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,083 times
but in a foreclosure... I dont think the mortgage holder would do that.

rjrcm -- thanks for that link. I could not find any thing that makes it sound like a single family home would qualify for that.

I'll have the lawyer look it over.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM

845 posts, read 2,328,149 times
They are going to have to pay it sooner or later, just like back taxes. In some States, an HOA CAN TAKE YOUR HOME FOR UNPAID HOA FEES.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Your contract will (hopefully) stipulate that they will give it to you with all back hoa and taxes paid. I've bought two in the last year, this way. Transfer fees, sids, lids, and other capital contributions are an entirely different matter.
Adolpho, the OP is trying to buy the house at the foreclosure auction. There is no purchase contract to negotiate. At foreclosure auctions, the winning bidder is responsible for paying all outstanding liens etc. If the lender (mortgagee) takes it back, they will cover the costs to clear title when they resell as bank owned.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
...I'll have the lawyer look it over.
Good move.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:39 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
If the condo put a lien on the condo pay it back Jack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs