Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM

51 posts, read 269,793 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a short sale property in Jersey city,NJ. It is listed 150K below the 2007 value. I am planning to put an offer on this property. I need clarifications regarding the following items.
- Will the property tax I have to pay in 2010 be adjusted to the new sale price or will it still be based on old home assessment
- What are my chances of getting the tax reduced if I have the property re-assessed.

Appreciate your replies.

Last edited by boozereddy; 11-05-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:08 AM

bump^^^^

Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
You may challenge your assessment. The assessed value may or may not change due to the nature of the sale or other factors.

Generally speaking:

Values of most homes in the U.S. have declined.

Municipal revenue derived from sales taxes has also declined.

Cost of schools ( the primary line item on your tax bill) and municipal services/ debt servicing are constants.

Property taxes are the result of multiplying the assessed value X a factor to generate sufficient revenue to support schools and municipal services/debt servicing.

When assessed values decline, the multiplying factor ( or whatever it is called in your local area) increases.

Some municipalities are being forced to make serious budget cuts. Detroit is an example, whereby it became necessary to cut the Police Force by 25% to balance the budget. Those remaining middle class areas, within Detroit, hire out private security patrols. I am aware of some areas, within Queens that have done likewise, for years.

If you are successful reducing your tax bill, be aware that that shortfall will need to be made up by other homeowners unless the municipality is forced to make drastic changes within their budgets.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
The details of how property taxes are determined vary from state to state and even township to township. For specifics on the procedure in your area there is no substitute for meeting with the governmental officials face-to-face.

That said I know from direct experience in Illinois that the the assessor specifically WILL NOT fully apply "distressed sales" as they do "normal arm's length" sales. The reason is simple -- doing this would result in the wholesale collapse of assessed valuations and would require the millage rate to be sky high to collect the taxes needed to fund schools, police, fire, sewers, roads, mosquito abatement and the couple of dozen other line items on Illinois property tax bills.

The fact is that the assessor's role is to do their best to see that the standards of valuation are based on supportable data so that things are fair and above board. In almost every case where there is a clear procedure to point out errors and serious discrepancies in well run counties the end result is a system that does reflect a fairly uniform valuation. If that is the case where your property is located I would focus less on "getting a bargain" and more on being sure that valuation is inline with reality.

Good Luck!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,849,373 times
this is real specific to NJ. Some jurisdictions are more open to assesments changes, some not so much. You may try asking on the NJ board and see if anyone has had any luck with your locality.

Good Luck.

shelly

Old 11-06-2009, 08:45 AM

Thanks all for replies.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM

761 posts, read 3,418,712 times
I was in the same situation (taxable market value is 120k over our purchase price) and I called the assessor this week to get the estimated taxes for 2010 and the value went down 5k but taxes went up ($16 for the year), but that doesn't make much sense. They said we will see a decrease in the 2011 taxes though.

The problem is, the county/township/city still needs thier money to function which i understand, but why does every government division need to spend exactly what they are bringing in (i suppose usually more than they bring in actually)? They should really leave room for emergencies like maybe a recession and housing bust.. Normal people think like that at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs