Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 03:50 PM

134 posts, read 287,888 times

Advertisements

Just wondering? I hear it's a time consuming process and you might risk getting a place with a ton of problems. I heard horror stories about plumbing problems (a friend bought a house where the previous owner poured concrete into the toilet).

What's your general take on SFRs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,673,923 times
Simple. If you cant handle problems, dont buy one.

Me? I can fix anything so they are good deals for me.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,839,702 times
I've been helping a seller with a short sale for 11 months. If you don't have the stomach for the game, don't start playing. On a short sale, you need to be in it for the long haul, no matter how long it takes for bank approval.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 AM

6,834 posts, read 11,583,309 times
Guess I was lucky. We bought a (newer) foreclosure (REO) that was in excellent shape. The transaction went smoothly except for our idiot loan officer. The house had actually been under contract pending a short sale approval when it went into foreclosure. I'm sure those buyers weren't too happy when we swooped in and bought it.

During the course of our house hunting we looked at several other foreclosures which were in horrible shape.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,809,966 times
Short Sales and Foreclosures aren't going to be cheap on the westside. There is still a market price and high demand. With the rapid appreciation in that area, people feel that they just need to hold it for a couple of more years to get back to their loan value.

There is a "short sales" near me that has been listed for over a year, the price has bounced around from listed at 400 to increase to 460 now down to 459,999, it has entered an fallen out of escrow twice. I don't think the owners are actually trying to sell it.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:40 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,458,300 times
Banks can get to be a real PITA in a short-sale. Really don't want to accept less than loan value. However, in the first part of the year, more willing to deal as they have a certain inventory level they will deal with.

But, even with a lot of documentation, they can back out, and force the property into foreclosure. Actually works better for the bank since they have insurance on the loan if it goes bad, make out better. That is why short-sales are so hard to get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs