Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 40,018 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I have a situation. A guy I know is losing his house because he has not paid taxes in 5 years on it. We have 2 months before the tax collector puts it on sheriff's sale. The house is paid off for, but the guy hasn't paid taxes and they put a lien on it for the amount owed which is $100,000. I already own a home, and I would like to purchase this 3 family house for the amount owed in taxes. I spoke to a mortgage guy at Wachovia and he says that they cannot give me a HELOC because I don't have any equity in my current home just bought a year ago. Any who, they cannot give me a mortgage either since there is a lien on it already. I cannot take a mortgage out to pay a lien, the lien has to be paid for in order for me to apply for a mortgage to buy the house. Any suggestions????? I am going to try other banks but I would hate to see this house go to someone else. HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,596,543 times
I think you are out of luck since no lender will loan you the cash without collateral. And why do you think you can buy it for the tax lien amount? Is that allowed in your area? Here, the tax lien would be put up for auction to investors, and if not repaid with interest over time, then the investor lien holder can foreclose.

Tax lien sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,890,561 times
5 years taxes is 100k?? That would mean it is 20k in taxes... which be around maybe a couple million in value... but yeah, you are out of luck... nobody will do it for you, paying the tax lien won't give u the home... the bank would do it for me However, I wouldn't pay 20k a year in taxes for a home I didn't like...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
5 years taxes is 100k?? That would mean it is 20k in taxes... which be around maybe a couple million in value... but yeah, you are out of luck... nobody will do it for you, paying the tax lien won't give u the home... the bank would do it for me However, I wouldn't pay 20k a year in taxes for a home I didn't like...
The taxes are $13,000 x 5 = 65,000 plus 18,000 interest. The guy is basically giving me the house for the price of the tax lien. If I can pay that off then he said the house is mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
I think you are out of luck since no lender will loan you the cash without collateral. And why do you think you can buy it for the tax lien amount? Is that allowed in your area? Here, the tax lien would be put up for auction to investors, and if not repaid with interest over time, then the investor lien holder can foreclose.

Tax lien sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The owner of the house says that he will sign the house over to me if I can pay off the lien.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:25 PM

11,840 posts, read 34,480,498 times
So have an attorney draft a purchase contract. You get a loan to pay off the tax lien, he gives you a deed, the closing company sells you title insurance and makes sure the current liens are paid in full.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
So have an attorney draft a purchase contract. You get a loan to pay off the tax lien, he gives you a deed, the closing company sells you title insurance and makes sure the current liens are paid in full.
I believe this was the point of the OP. He can't get a loan.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I believe this was the point of the OP. He can't get a loan.
True , the banks are very strict and they want 30% down. Any other way of doing it is what I am really asking for. I know the days of no money down are done with unless you have a 700 credit score. I have a 650.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs