Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 11:09 AM

734 posts, read 842,105 times

Advertisements

I have a 2016 Fusion with 125k miles that recently started "jerking" occasionally while shifting gears. This normally only happens if it's on the expressway with stop and go traffic, which isn't often.

Otherwise it's not really noticeable. I will drive to town and back and not notice anything wrong. I tried a drain and fill of the transmission fluid, but that didn't really make a difference.

I know this is a common issue with this make/model. Is this occurs that will continue to deteriorate until it burns out the transmission? Or is this something that just happens even though the transmission is otherwise fully functional?

I went to a couple of shops and was quoted 2k for a transmission rebuild and 4k for a replacement. The other option is to trade the car in while it still has some value. There is also the other option of doing nothing. Is the last option a feasible option? Or is this something that needs to be dealt with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Actually, your quotes to rebuild or replace are remarkably low. We paid about $4,000 to rebuild the transmission on a 2003 Liberty, and before that $4,300 on a 1996 4Runner. Both had less miles than your Fusion when they went. As you mentioned, this is a known issue, and in fact lawyers are advertising their services to sue. With 125,000 miles I would trade it in before it goes completely, but if you really like it otherwise and want to keep it, you may go another 30-40k before it dies.

https://www.yourlegaljustice.com/201...mission-cases/

Old 10-13-2023, 08:23 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Have you tried a dealership to see if they'll work with you on a new transmission? Maybe they'll split the cost with you as a good faith gesture since it seems to be a known issue. I recently took my Acura MDX to a transmission shop for a repair and regret not just going to the dealership. It's been quite an ordeal, over two months later and it's still not fixed right.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Actually, your quotes to rebuild or replace are remarkably low. We paid about $4,000 to rebuild the transmission on a 2003 Liberty, and before that $4,300 on a 1996 4Runner. Both had less miles than your Fusion when they went. As you mentioned, this is a known issue, and in fact lawyers are advertising their services to sue. With 125,000 miles I would trade it in before it goes completely, but if you really like it otherwise and want to keep it, you may go another 30-40k before it dies.

https://www.yourlegaljustice.com/201...mission-cases/

Did you go to a dealer or independent shop? I went to a couple of independent shops but based on their reviews, not sure I trust either one. I'd imagine a dealer would charge significantly more. Interesting that lawsuits have been filed. This is definitely something that should have been recalled.

I do like the car otherwise but yeah I guess I will have to weigh a few more years of use vs. the amount I can get for a trade in. I was hoping to drive it into the ground with at least 200k miles but that isn't going to happen unless I opt for the repair (and hope it's done right and lasts). How did your rebuilds go?

Old 10-13-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Have you tried a dealership to see if they'll work with you on a new transmission? Maybe they'll split the cost with you as a good faith gesture since it seems to be a known issue. I recently took my Acura MDX to a transmission shop for a repair and regret not just going to the dealership. It's been quite an ordeal, over two months later and it's still not fixed right.
I have not. I'd assume they would charge significantly more than the independent shops, but if they were to split the cost, it may cost less. Perhaps it could be used as leverage for a trade-in (if it doesn't work against me). I should go back to the dealer I bought it from. I did buy an extended warranty from Ford which ironically expired about 6 months before I started having issues.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Did you go to a dealer or independent shop? I went to a couple of independent shops but based on their reviews, not sure I trust either one. I'd imagine a dealer would charge significantly more. Interesting that lawsuits have been filed. This is definitely something that should have been recalled.

I do like the car otherwise but yeah I guess I will have to weigh a few more years of use vs. the amount I can get for a trade in. I was hoping to drive it into the ground with at least 200k miles but that isn't going to happen unless I opt for the repair (and hope it's done right and lasts). How did your rebuilds go?
Both of the rebuilds were at a transmission shop in Bellevue, WA. The owner was a customer of mine for several years since 1994 so I returned the favor by using him. He is a former drag racer and knows his stuff, I have used him for other work over the years such as a disc brake conversion on a classic car, and a clutch replacement on a stick shift car I had. Here, he has really good prices compared to dealers and other shops, but he did the work for most of the dealers, including Mercedes. They sub-contracted it out to him then marked it up. All of his work has been great, no problems at all. Unfortunately, though, he had a stroke a few years ago and is now limited in what he can do, with just one employee and some mobility issues.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Both of the rebuilds were at a transmission shop in Bellevue, WA. The owner was a customer of mine for several years since 1994 so I returned the favor by using him. He is a former drag racer and knows his stuff, I have used him for other work over the years such as a disc brake conversion on a classic car, and a clutch replacement on a stick shift car I had. Here, he has really good prices compared to dealers and other shops, but he did the work for most of the dealers, including Mercedes. They sub-contracted it out to him then marked it up. All of his work has been great, no problems at all. Unfortunately, though, he had a stroke a few years ago and is now limited in what he can do, with just one employee and some mobility issues.
It's good to have a mechanic you can trust.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:18 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I have not. I'd assume they would charge significantly more than the independent shops, but if they were to split the cost, it may cost less. Perhaps it could be used as leverage for a trade-in (if it doesn't work against me). I should go back to the dealer I bought it from. I did buy an extended warranty from Ford which ironically expired about 6 months before I started having issues.

At 125k.. They aren't going to split the cost.

I can't imagine they would. I mean, won't hurt to try, but.. I wouldn't expect success.

$2k for a rebuild? wow. Impressive. Honestly.. That's a deal and I'd jump, if the shop is reputable.

The place I use for transmissions around here has some flat rate on common transmissions.. Like the Chevy 6 speed(6L45?).. Flat rate $4500 on it.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
At 125k.. They aren't going to split the cost.

I can't imagine they would. I mean, won't hurt to try, but.. I wouldn't expect success.

$2k for a rebuild? wow. Impressive. Honestly.. That's a deal and I'd jump, if the shop is reputable.

The place I use for transmissions around here has some flat rate on common transmissions.. Like the Chevy 6 speed(6L45?).. Flat rate $4500 on it.
I'm pretty sure you're right. What is in it for them?

I'm not sure the shop is all that reputable.

Would I be nuts for trading it on for another Fusion?

Seems that the transmission issue is on models between 2007 and 2017.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:39 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Ford fusion trans service interval is every 30K miles. At 125K miles, it should have had the transmission serviced 4 times by now. That would be flushes, not drain/fills. Was any of that done? Usually trans issues with this model are common because folks are waiting until 100K+ miles before realizing something needs to be done. What happens is the dirty fluid begins to partially clog some of the tight passageways in the valve body and creates this particular issue.

You can try a real flush instead of drain/fills, but this has the odds of causing more damage as well so it's not my recommendation.

Do you want to drop $2-4K into this vehicle and keep driving it? If there are other potential issues that may be looming, i'd consider keeping that money in your pocket and trading the car in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln