Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 11:30 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

If it ever came necessary to change the tire on my F-250, that bottle jack doesn't give me such confidence to lifting, safely, such a huge truck.

Is a floor jack better? But will it work broken down along side the road? What are the thoughts of such?

I see someone is selling a scissor jack. Is that a good idea for an F-250?

Now, all the other thoughts such as a woman and an F-250 tire, "be better off with road side service", etc...........noted, but those aren't the cards on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 11:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Regardless of the type, it's the weight rating that's important. For just changing a tire I wouldn't worry too much, but for actually going under I always use a good jack stand or two, in addition to the jack. I use floor jacks for working on our cars, and a bottle jack for the trailer. If I needed to change the tire on my F150 I would just use the scissors jack that came with it.

Old 10-09-2023, 12:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
If it ever came necessary to change the tire on my F-250, that bottle jack doesn't give me such confidence to lifting, safely, such a huge truck.

Is a floor jack better? But will it work broken down along side the road? What are the thoughts of such?

Now, all the other thoughts such as a woman and an F-250 tire, "be better off with road side service", etc...........noted, but those aren't the cards on the table.
If on the road shoulder, you may have difficulty stabilizing any jack. (That is important). A floor jack is usually used for repairs / service at home / in shop on level concrete floor. Pretty inconvenient to haul around.

I prefer a 3t bottle jack (Hydraulic), and make sure I have a stable base. (and never get under it to a position of being trapped if it fell.) Important for Texas Ranch roads where you may not see another person for a few days.

Throw your flat wheel and tire under the truck while working on the replacement, just in case it falls, it does not get too low to get a jack back under it.

Carry a few pieces of 2x6 under your seat. (for a stable base for jack.)

Find a level, safe spot
Chock the wheels and loosen lugs before jacking up.

Old 10-09-2023, 01:48 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
My preference is on the 3-ton jacks made of either aluminum, or aluminum and steel. Also, I would carry a few short pieces of 2" x 6" wood boards, and maybe some short pieces of 2" x 4"s. You will have to figure how to store and secure the jack in your truck. The more expensive ones, such as the Power Zone 680061 3-Ton Aluminum, may be a good idea if you can afford it. But some cheaper ones are OK too.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aluminum+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Old 10-09-2023, 03:34 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
For changing a tire the bottle jack is fine. I've used the one on my F350 several times. As suggested above, making sure the jack has a stable base is key.

At home, I use a floor jack to pick the truck up and then set it down on jack stands. I'll then give the truck a good shove to be sure it is stable before crawling under it.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:07 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Been using this one for years with no issue. 24 1/4" of lift height.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...cks/3-ton.html

This one has almost 30" of lift height. Never used it though.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-59136.html

I have used a compact floor jack to change a tire on a vehicle on the side of the road. The downside is carting the jack around with you. Something like this works well for a car and stores well, but may not work well with an F250

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-LifT-F-23...138334015&th=1

Old 10-11-2023, 09:17 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Lets start with the nuts......lugnuts.

Can you loosen 8 lug nuts torqued to 150 lbs? Can you remove a stock wheel that likely weighs 100 lbs?

If no to either question then the type of jack is irrelevant

Old 10-11-2023, 09:27 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
The jack that comes with the thing will be fine.

I will always recommend getting a better lug wrench (frankly, a 1/2" or 3/4" ratchet handle and deep socket is better than any lug wrench) and a piece of pipe to get those overly-tightened and corroded lug nuts off. When you buy a new/used car, go out there and break each lug loose and retighten it, one by one.

If you have trouble handling the wheels due to weight, you can consider a wheel jack/trolley/whatever the correct term is.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:20 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
Quote:
Lets start with the nuts......lugnuts.

Can you loosen 8 lug nuts torqued to 150 lbs? Can you remove a stock wheel that likely weighs 100 lbs?

If no to either question then the type of jack is irrelevant...
This is the whole thing in a nutshell.
If you're determined to step into the deep end, get a medium sized hydraulic bottle jack and jack stand from Harbor Freight. They're heavy but better, and safer, than setting up a trolley jack under a truck on the side of the road.
The Ford emergency jacks are a far cry from what they were years ago. I had one jump gears on me in the last few years. I wouldn't trust them.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:20 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
People have been suggesting 2X4s. Is that to stabilize the jack (as some might say) or to block the opposite wheel?

What about using chocks, either modern or old flight line style? Thoughts on those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln