Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 09:22 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,076,703 times

Advertisements

When I bought a ford truck it was because:
1. It was reasonably priced and had no rust and no lights on on the dash.
2. I needed a truck.
3. It was available.
4. F-150 was supposedly the best truck, at least the best selling truck.

I liked that truck ok but replacing the coil packs one by one was really annoying and expensive. It did not last long before the oil pump broke and the engine seized up.

the next one (a ranger) I bought because:

1. My dad needed to sell the truck he no longer used.
2. I had 5 kids and the first two were turning 16, so we needed an extra vehicle.
3. A small pickup seemed like it might be useful to have around.
4. Rangers had a good reputation for durability.

I actually hated that truck when I bought it, but wanted to help dad out (who wanted too much money for it, but hey it was my dad). It lasted quite a while and for a time, I had to drive it because my car gave up the ghost at a time when I did not have the money to replace it. I especially hated the ranger during that time.

when it came time to buy a replacement truck for me i switched to dodge becuase:

1. I love the ram boxes.
2. Best ride of any truck for the years I was looking at.
3. No coil packs.
4. most comfortable including the back seats.
5. Fiat supposedly fixed Dodge's QC problems. (Not really but they did improve it).
6. Best looking truck
6. Everyone has an F150.

i liked the Dodge much better than the F150. So much so that when I replaced it, I got a RAM that is pretty much exactly the same as the prior one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 09:58 AM

43,481 posts, read 77,465,853 times
I bought a 1998 F150 XLT in 1998, and it had done me well, but it was time to go. 170,000 miles, and it was really starting to make me doubt going on road trips.
Actually, my favorite vehicle I had ever owned. I bought it because my company had put me in a 1997 Lariat and I really liked it. Just didn't have the purse to buy one just like it.

Time for a gentleman's retirement truck. Thought about a Lightning and a hybrid, but pickings were non-existent when I bought in August, 2022.
Wanted the Supercab, not Crewcab.
Wanted a 6.5 bed not a 5.5.
Wanted a Lariat.
Preferred white, and 2 tone, if available.
Ford no longer put a Supercab in a Lariat starting in 2023 model year.

Found my 2022 Lariat Supercab on line, 140 miles away, after my local dealer said they couldn't find one within 900 miles.
It has just about 95% of what I would have spec'd out, so I took it.

Only disappointment:
Made the mistake of having a Ford bedliner installed. The Ford Bedliner in my 1998 was heavier, and fit perfectly. The bedliner in the 2022 is a huge disappointment. Doesn't fit well. Instead of fitting all the ports and tiedowns in the bed, it relies on cheap covers that are impossible to put on the liner.
I'm planning to pull it out and go with LineX.

2022 and 1998:

Old 04-29-2024, 10:50 AM

1,512 posts, read 822,347 times
It looks good! I have a 2019 Ranger with the ford drop in liner and mine fits very good.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:53 AM

5,486 posts, read 6,136,558 times
I have the spray in liner in my current Ford truck.
I had a FORD drop in liner in my previous two trucks.

For my use, the drop in was better. It bolted down where all the tie downs are bolted to the bed, and it was smooth. I could slide bags of fertilizer, or furniture in and out easily.

The spray in liner is like very coarse sandpaper. It will rip open a bag of fertilizer if you drag it in or out. It will scratch furniture or finished wood unless you put tarps, or blankets under it.

I have seen some ill-fitting drop in liners, but if you do your homework and find one made specifically for Ford and that bed, it should drop in and bolt down wherever there are bolted on tie downs.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:08 AM

10,943 posts, read 4,678,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

What is the reason you bought a truck?

Old thread...but having owned too many to count - 'cuz they were good.

the $16405 I spend on my 90 F150 xlt was the best dollars I ever spent. got a quarter-mil out of it towing everything for everyone and NY salt and rust took the frame in 08. Got another, same year from down south, gave it to my kid at 16 and he sold it and a neighbor still has it.

They used to last and the windsors ran forever.

TODAY however? something about 10ft poles. I currently have a Grabowski I 'inherited' but it is no better or worse than the current ford offerings and if it were my money, I would not. So im not much help to assist with a NEW decision.

now if you wanna talk OBS Ford or GM square bodies, lets go...

Old 04-30-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I have the spray in liner in my current Ford truck.
I had a FORD drop in liner in my previous two trucks.

For my use, the drop in was better. It bolted down where all the tie downs are bolted to the bed, and it was smooth. I could slide bags of fertilizer, or furniture in and out easily.

The spray in liner is like very coarse sandpaper. It will rip open a bag of fertilizer if you drag it in or out. It will scratch furniture or finished wood unless you put tarps, or blankets under it.

I have seen some ill-fitting drop in liners, but if you do your homework and find one made specifically for Ford and that bed, it should drop in and bolt down wherever there are bolted on tie downs.
Live and Learn.
My drop in liner was installed by the dealership.

Tiedowns are in holes in the liner with plastic caps that are near impossible to install properly.
I got it strictly because I didn't want the sandpaper effect, but likely would prefer the sandpaper at this point.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:30 AM

17,557 posts, read 22,320,969 times
First Ford: 2010 F150 Crew Lariat- it was a new leftover discounted 10K off MSRP. Missing options: 4WD/Sunroof and I could careless about both.

Why did I buy it? Made in America! I was a GM guy for over 20 years prior and the crew cabs were being made in Mexico. No thanks.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:06 AM

5,486 posts, read 6,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Live and Learn.
My drop in liner was installed by the dealership.

Tiedowns are in holes in the liner with plastic caps that are near impossible to install properly.
I got it strictly because I didn't want the sandpaper effect, but likely would prefer the sandpaper at this point.
My '97 Styleside and 2002 SCREW had those plastic/rubber caps for the liner on the cab end, but the tiedowns on the tailgate side came off, then were bolted back to the bed once the liner was installed. It stayed put and was still functional when I sold it. My bedliner had a big FORD oval stamped in the liner up against the back of the cab.
FYI, I played with those damned plastic/rubber caps for a few months, then tossed them under the back seat and left the holes uncovered. Worked just fine for the remainder of the trucks years.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
My '97 Styleside and 2002 SCREW had those plastic/rubber caps for the liner on the cab end, but the tiedowns on the tailgate side came off, then were bolted back to the bed once the liner was installed. It stayed put and was still functional when I sold it. My bedliner had a big FORD oval stamped in the liner up against the back of the cab.
FYI, I played with those damned plastic/rubber caps for a few months, then tossed them under the back seat and left the holes uncovered. Worked just fine for the remainder of the trucks years.
My liner definitely has the Ford oval molded into the front end of the liner.

It's just a piece of crap, IMO, that in no way is the same quality I had in my 1998 F-150, the quality I expected to receive. I should have gone LineX and lived with the gritty floor of the bed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln