Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 08:38 PM

602 posts, read 313,717 times

Advertisements

Car and Driver: Tested: 2022 Ford Maverick Is a Big Little Truck

The Blue Oval is bringing this exceedingly flexible and capable small pickup truck as its entry-level vehicle, replacing its recently departed small cars.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...averick-drive/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 08:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Exactly! What the OP fails to realize is that there is a demand for these types of trucks. Not everyone has 40k to throw on a full size pickup that gets 15 mpg. Especially when that full size pickup may be more than they need.
I live right near the Merrimack River, where it meets the ocean. And there are actually plenty of boats in the 28-45 foot range in the docks there (which an F-150 can't tow either, BTW), but at the town ramp, lots of people come in with bigger boats for day use - 22-26 feet. But you know what? Lots of other people come in with 16-18-20 foot boats, or a couple of jet skis, and they still have a great time, and you can tow those kinds of watercraft with one of these little Mavericks.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:57 PM

843 posts, read 565,003 times
Ford introduced a "white space" vehicle that meets a need in the market for a segment of people. The auto business is so competitive, when you find white space you jump into it. They're trying to lure in new buyers to Ford and into trucks. Then maybe the next time they'll buy a Ranger or an F150. That's how the auto business works. Pretty simple. Ford doesn't make cars anymore, except the Mustang, so this is an entry level vehicle for people who like them. It's an Escape with a box, not a "light duty sedan". LOL.

The OP doesn't like them, he's not part of that market segment, so he won't buy one. He "hoped for so much more", but sounds like he won't buy a Ford anyway. You knew there would be segment of macho men who look down on it. More available for everybody else, and they are in high demand with new buyers waiting months to get theirs. Based on the reviews and the apparent excitement in the market it looks like they will sell well. I appreciate that the OP started a discussion about it but he sounds like a Ford hater and needs to realize that not everyone thinks like he does. I'll betcha that more OEM's will be introducing copycats within a few years.

See this article for info on November sales:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42982/ford-maverick-stomped-on-hyundai-in-october-sales-over-25-of-buyers-aged-18-35.

Quote:
In fact, Ford says that its Maverick customers are quite different from people who usually step foot inside of a Ford showroom. Many new Maverick owners are first-time truck buyers who had never considered purchasing a pickup before. And a great deal of them are younger—more than 25 percent are said to be aged between 18 and 35 years old. Ford says this demographic speaks to how underserved the entry-level vehicle market has been in the past, as this age group only makes up 12 percent of new car buyers overall, and the Maverick is seeing more than double the average.

It seems like the compact pickup market is really just kicking off. Buyers are extremely attracted to a small truck with a solid amount of cargo room and smart design appointments both inside and out. To top it off, the 42 mile-per-gallon hybrid powerplant is a great selling point for many fuel-conscious and electro-curious buyers, but those seeking more power or all-wheel-drive also have Ford's 2.0-liter EcoBoost within reach for just a bit more money. With great sales numbers so far and seemingly endless aftermarket support on the way, the Maverick looks like a tuner's dream come true. Could that mean a return of street truck culture in the near future?
PS: 3-2-1, I'm counting the minutes until the moderator moves this thread to the Ford and Lincoln board. I wish they wouldn't do that so often. That's a great way to kill a thread. Why not leave it here where more people see it and generate more interest? Just because it's about a Ford shouldn't be an automatic banishment to the more obscure Ford and Lincoln board.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 01-05-2022 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2022, 10:16 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I thought the purpose of pickup trucks these days are for the drivers to look manly. Macho. They are rarely to be seen hauling anything. Many are lifted just to appear larger. If you are a new driver they give you a better vantage point and a better outcome than the other guy if you drive recklessly. So, those folks won’t be buying the teacup truck.

But for the practical home owner it will be great. Bring home landscape plants and lumber for projects. Take debris to the dump. Bring the lawnmower in for servicing. Buy a piece of furniture on a whim. Why not.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:26 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Because...not everybody who wants a truck, wants what’s on offer in the half ton category. It’s really a return to where the Ranger and S10 were...and I’m heartened by the fact that so many are taking to that formula. Suburbanites and their trucks baffle me, since they’re work vehicles and I don’t know why anybody would buy them, paying 100% of the cost of ownership while utilizing their hauling capability maybe 5% of the time. You’d be ahead buying a car of equivalent cost and renting a truck when needed just after a couple of oil changes or in fuel costs.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:56 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,223,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Great marketing and promoting by Ford on behalf of their new mini pick up truck. 95% of buyers haven’t seen it in person and I have. And I want nothing to do with it. Lol this is how I describe their cheap plastic unibody truck. Basically it’s a Prius with a little tiny box on the back. Seriously. This is not a truck. It’s a very light duty sedan, with a tiny box on the back. It’s gutless, it’s powerless, you’re not gonna take it anywhere you would a regular truck, and I would put my bottom dollar that this thing will start falling apart somewhere between 60 and 80,000 miles. Stay away in my opinion. I want you to think back to the days of the Ford tempo, maybe the focus and just open up the trunk area into a want to be, mini tiny bed. But maybe you could throw a couple duffel bags back there. That’s what the Ford Maverick is. More hyped junk from Ford.

I was hoping for more….
I can't imagine the market for this kind of vehicle. They made cars with pickup truck beds for decades and they stopped in the '80s, Subaru maybe 90s and then they made another one again in 2000s that didn't sell very well.

I figured they went out of style. I like the El Camino and The ranchero but I don't know why I would buy that if I could have a real truck.

Seems like the worst of both worlds but if you've ever seen a BMW X6 this is a real tall sort of hatchback sedan thing that's not a good SUV and it's not a good car it's kind of the worst of both of those worlds and the people that have those love them I guess they're just for hauling around kids.

I don't know about these car truck things they seem to do pretty well in other places South America and so forth Chevy has made one that sold down there for years. But I think they tend to be more of us commercial or work style vehicle down there.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Those who like big heavy trucks how do you like gas prices now?
I've seen it worse I drove a truck with much worse gas mileage. I spent 6,200 on the truck and probably about $2200 a year on gasoline. I would still pray for something used with worse gas mileage over something new because you don't have to add a car payment on top of the gasoline expense and the insurance you have to have.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:14 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I can't imagine the market for this kind of vehicle. They made cars with pickup truck beds for decades and they stopped in the '80s, Subaru maybe 90s and then they made another one again in 2000s that didn't sell very well.

I figured they went out of style. I like the El Camino and The ranchero but I don't know why I would buy that if I could have a real truck.

Seems like the worst of both worlds but if you've ever seen a BMW X6 this is a real tall sort of hatchback sedan thing that's not a good SUV and it's not a good car it's kind of the worst of both of those worlds and the people that have those love them I guess they're just for hauling around kids.

I don't know about these car truck things they seem to do pretty well in other places South America and so forth Chevy has made one that sold down there for years. But I think they tend to be more of us commercial or work style vehicle down there.
A lot of boomers are getting up in the years and don't need the capabilities they used to when they were younger. My guess is the Maverick will be a repeat of the Kia Soul. Kia marketted it a younger hipsters witht he catchy hamster ads basically go for the skinny jeans crew that hangs out at coffee shops with a MacBook with stickers. They sold a few of them to the hipsters but mostly those people spend all their money on iPhones, MacBooks, skinny jeans, and rent and had nothing left for cars. It was the empty nesters who really ate the Soul up.

Take someone like my mom. She retired this year and has been doing a ton of work in the garden. Fortunately sister and brother-in-law are in town and they have two trucks so she doesn't have to take her sedan which can't hold very much to the nursery. She can just swing by their house and borrow on of the trucks. But they're big work trucks. She really doesn't need a HD pickup with a crew cab and a 27,000 tow rating. The nursery people are helpful and will load up the truck but then when she gets home she's got a bad hip so she can't jump up in there and the sides of the bed are up around your chest so she can't lift stuff out over the sides.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I thought the purpose of pickup trucks these days are for the drivers to look manly. Macho. They are rarely to be seen hauling anything. Many are lifted just to appear larger. If you are a new driver they give you a better vantage point and a better outcome than the other guy if you drive recklessly. So, those folks won’t be buying the teacup truck.
no really the purpose of a truck is transportation. The reason why I drive one is they are infinitely more comfortable than all cars made. I drive a full size pickup and there's just tons of room no center consoles no steering wheels press down on my legs it's like driving a couch and they don't make cars like that anymore.

I am a little irritated that pickup trucks seem to be moving more car-like and that they have center consoles and all this bologna crammed in the cab with you. But I figure that's to appeal to the car buyer who's moving up toward a truck because cars aren't roomy like they used to be.

The ones I buy are typically fleet models with bench seats if I can get that. I've been known to remove buckets to put benches in.

As for looking macho I don't know that this ever appealed to me. I would only ever buy a four-wheel drive if I needed it after I had a four-wheel drive and basically to simulate the experience every time you buy gasoline just put $5 worth of gasoline in the next person's car, and by four new tires every time you replace tires because you can't have different sizes. As far as lifting goes if I needed ground clearance I would do it but generally my truck never leaves the road. I know some of those guys like to go run around in the mud and play off-road and pay everyone gets to have a hobby I don't like fixing all the stuff I broke so I don't do that anymore.
Quote:
But for the practical home owner it will be great. Bring home landscape plants and lumber for projects. Take debris to the dump. Bring the lawnmower in for servicing. Buy a piece of furniture on a whim. Why not.
Well it's a miniature pickup truck they've had those for decades. I would go with the Toyota Tacoma even though they're more expensive just because I wouldn't have to replace it for 20 years. I got my eyes on some of those older Toyota tundras, it's just the people don't want to let them go.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:38 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post

Have you seen how big/tall half ton pickups have gotten? They’re not far off from 3/4 or 1 tons of the 90s in terms of bed height or servicing under the hood. It’s no wonder a Ranger/S10 size pickup is being done in duplicate, both by Ford and Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln