Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:28 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,439,464 times

Advertisements

If you see a Crown Vic taxi with a badge on the left tail lamp that says "police interceptor", that is an ex police car, still working for a living.

Some folks will run them until the wheels fall off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:33 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,439,464 times
I know times have changed, but still, we have compromised a lot in this country from what we used to drive, and eventually the automakers will force us to drive go-karts around if they have their way.

It is the govt, not the automakers. They are being told what gas mileage they must get and things are being mandated that didn't exist years ago. In some instances they try to mandate things that haven't been invented yet.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,349,180 times
I was a fan of Crown Victoria but I must admit that they stand out, in a bad way, in traffic. There is nothing on the road that offers the interior space. I chuckle when rental car companies list a Camry as "full size." That was once the domain of the Crown.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:45 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,913,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
If you see a Crown Vic taxi with a badge on the left tail lamp that says "police interceptor", that is an ex police car, still working for a living.

Some folks will run them until the wheels fall off.

Yep, a lot of taxi companies buy used police cars and then put another 150K or 250K miles on them after that.

I owned an 84 CV, and it was a terrific car. Comfortable, great 302 engine, simple to work on, and solid. I put a bunch of miles on that car and it never gave me a lick of trouble.

Ford had a winner with that car. I still see a lot of them doing police duty, which thrills me because I can always tell when one of them is sneaking up on me at night, by the way the headlights look.

Don

Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,948,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Why did ford cancel of making the crown victoria in the first place since it was amd is a good affordable large sedan and the most used by the police force than the charger and explorer?

Ive been thinking about getting me a police version myself as a 2nd vehicle
It was cancelled because that platform could not meet upcoming safety requirements. They modified the platform as much as they could over the years but it got to a point where they had to scrap it and start over.

In addition, it was a big-time drag on their CAFE fuel economy so they had to replace it with something that got better fuel mileage to reduce penalties.

So given that, and the fact the large car segment has been dying for years, they replaced it with a lackluster Ford 500 (then Taurus) as they wanted to get full size car out there for their fleet/government sales with as little investment as possible.

To this day it's still a dying segment and that's why you don't see many changes in the Taurus from one year to the next. Just no return on investment to be had. Sell them as cop cars, cabs, etc and that's really where they make the money on that car.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 PM

9,926 posts, read 7,296,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Is that why the only vehicle banned for use by an Uber driver is the Crown Victoria? I've always wondered about that.
Uber doesn't allow the Panther cars because they look too much like taxis and Uber doesn't want to be confused with a taxi service.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,194,358 times
I remain disappointed that they never released the 2003 Mercury Marauder convertible concept that appeared at auto shows that year. It was a throwback to the GM-style full size convertibles of the early 70's. I'd love a big boat like that as a second car.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,145,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Uber doesn't allow the Panther cars because they look too much like taxis and Uber doesn't want to be confused with a taxi service.
Gotcha; thanks!

Old 10-18-2016, 12:24 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,984,453 times
Half the tweakers in our town drive them.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:08 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,399,872 times
Why was it killed? CAFE regulations are tough to meet with a body-on-frame platform. Cities requiring hybrids for their taxi fleets. Sales dropped to 1/3 their peak volume. Lousy profit margins since almost all of them were sold as fleet cars. With the lousy profit margins, Ford never updated the car to make it more desirable to the general public.

Unibody cars are kind of undesirable as cop cars and taxis because they are often impossible to repair after a crash. You really have to work at it to total a Crown Vic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln