Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 PM

734 posts, read 842,105 times

Advertisements

I have been considering getting hybrid due to having a long commute. My commute is mostly highway miles, however, and I have read that hybrids are mainly good for city driving. Is this true?

Is the AWD worth it if one drives in wintry conditions? I live in northerm Ohio which can but does not always get a lot of snow. Could AWD be worth it?

For the price with a lightly used car with one of these options, I could probably go with a new model without these two options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Hybrid is generally not going to see a good payback, the Fusion for example has a used price differential that is to high to make it happen. 2010 Fusion hybrid barely breaks 41mpg highway gas gets 34mpg.

IMO no AWD is not worth it. Snow tires should take higher precedence. FWD car with snow tires > AWD with all seasons. AWD plus snow tires is fantastic but that is alot of extra moolah added on. If you have the money go for it.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:05 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I bought a new 2014 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid last year and I am very happy with it. I have driven 19,500 miles in 14 months and my average fuel economy over that duration has been 38 MPG. I'm averaging about 41 MPG now in the summer but it drops to about 35 in the winter. However, my commute is mostly back roads or stop and go highway traffic, which favors a hybrid.

I don't think a conventional gas powered Fusion will average 34 MPG. You might get 34 MPG on the highway but I'm pretty confident your overall average is going to be below 30 MPG.

Depending on your budget, for a long highway commute, you may want to look at something like a Volkswagen Jetta TDI, which will routinely get better than 40 MPG on the highway.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:16 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
A hybrid doesn't make sense for a pure highway commute. Diesels excel at that though

Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Forget the hybrid for the highway.

There are benefits to having AWD in certain conditions, but the degree to how much it is worth the expense is debatable and are highly personal.

Not all AWD systems are created equal, making some far better than others in winter conditions. Active or "full time" AWD systems, IMO, just drive better. The power is already at all four wheels making the vehicle feel far more sure footed, and less likely to get stuck or out of shape. The reactive AWD systems only adjust power to the non-powered axle after slip is being detected. Although these provide some benefit, it is not as much as the active systems.

The fusion uses Ford's "intelligent AWD system" which is sort of a reactive system which is trying to mimic an active system through the computer analyzing various sensors and directing power to all four wheels based on anticipated need. I have not experienced this particular system in more than rainy conditions at this point (my wife has a Lincoln MKC which uses it), but it does seem to me like it would drive more like an active system than a reactionary one.

I personally like having AWD in my vehicles. I have driven it all (FWD, RWD, AWD-active, AWD-reactionary, full time transfer case 4WD systems, snow tires and not on just about all of this). Although snow tires on a FWD will make it drive terrific in snow, there are still some conditions where the AWD provides a benefit over a 1 wheel peel front driver. I live in the Buffalo area too, and we get over 100 inches of snow a year (heck, I had 80 over two days last year!).

AWD is not necessary. It is a nice luxury for some. Whether your area of Ohio gets enough snow, or whether the roads are not properly cleared and passable most of the time would be my deciding factor.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 AM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Thanks all for the info! I was tempted to pursue a hybrid since a nearby dealer has a good deal on one but still a bit outside my price range. As for AWD, there are some days where it would be nice to have but the vast majority of time, isn't needed. Maybe I'll just get a regular SE and the snow tires instead.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:15 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I have been considering getting hybrid due to having a long commute. My commute is mostly highway miles, however, and I have read that hybrids are mainly good for city driving. Is this true?

Is the AWD worth it if one drives in wintry conditions? I live in northerm Ohio which can but does not always get a lot of snow. Could AWD be worth it?

For the price with a lightly used car with one of these options, I could probably go with a new model without these two options.

As one of two hybrids owners here, I can tell you the entire truth about them. (I have two hybrids. Not two hybrid owners here at CDF.)
1. Personally, I'd never buy anything that complicated from Ford or GM. Period. They do not have history and culture of making reliable cars.
2. Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive is by today, the most well built one. You can get them on Nissans too. Mazda is looking into having them in their cars.
3. Gas hybrid systems boil down to several aspects to be worth the money: - driving mostly below 45 mph on long level arterials; - moving in slow traffic; - driving mostly in warm to hot climate; - having a very conscientious operator. Not driver. Operator. It's an art.
4. If your "city" drives are in a city that has the above mentioned roads - then yes. If you were in a real city - stop lights, traffic, hills - no, don't buy them. I had this proven beyond any doubt in toyotanation forums. Btw, you need to go there anyway, to one of them hybrid forums, like say greenhybrid, and read on Fusion.
I own 07 Camry Hybrid and just bought 12 Highlander Hybrid. AWD. I average 32mpg, what really caught toyotanation forum HiHy owners by surprise, as none of them somehow manages that. But remember - for 4 years I built up very good driving habits off my Camry Hybrid. I am yet to test that AWD in real action but I have no doubt, it'll ace anything. Cute part is - HiHy has no driveshaft. Rear wheel drive is purely electrical, off electric motor.What also allows me to boast 286 combined HP coming from V6 and 2 powerful EMs. She's got a kick!

Last edited by ukrkoz; 08-19-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 01:28 AM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Hybrid is generally not going to see a good payback, the Fusion for example has a used price differential that is to high to make it happen. 2010 Fusion hybrid barely breaks 41mpg highway gas gets 34mpg.

IMO no AWD is not worth it. Snow tires should take higher precedence. FWD car with snow tires > AWD with all seasons. AWD plus snow tires is fantastic but that is alot of extra moolah added on. If you have the money go for it.
Highway mileage is irrelevant for most people because they aren't commuting at 55mph on a flat highway. In actual commute conditions with traffic and stop lights, you are gonna get city mpg.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:23 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
If I were you I'd opt for a Ford Fusion SE fwd with the 2.5 engine and winter tires such as Michelin Ice.

I've lived in Colorado for 38 years. I used to own 4WD trucks; an International Scout and a Ford Bronco (OJ type). They did fine in the snow but they sucked gas and were expensive to maintain. They also had a high center of gravity and a punishing ride.

I now have a 2012 Fusion fwd and with the combination of winter tires, traction control, stability control, and anti-lock brakes, it is a formidable winter car. But the biggest advantage comes from the tires.

Remember this: The brakes stop the wheel, but the tires stop the car.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:17 PM

447 posts, read 651,493 times
Yes if your gonna be doing mostly highway driving I'd suggest a diesel like the VW TDi lineup. For a hybrid no need to go with anything other than a prius at least then you get both numbers around 50mpg city or highway. As for this awd business I owned a fusion 2007 first year of the awd fusion option owned it a few years about 20,000 miles on it. Saw a lot of snow found it useful mostly for acceleration and when traction would break but did almost as well or better with a fwd ford focus and some studded snow tires
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln