Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,628,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sure if you want to pollute as much as you can. Make sure you rev it up a lot around children's playgrounds. Kids love to inhale all that mess. Oh and hope it up, so you can go really fast, so you can see all the smoke and deadly crap coming out of the tailpipes, to tell ALL you want to kill every kid in the hood.
Maybe you should do a little research before you spout off. Sure both gas and diesel engines pollute, but diesel particulate falls to the ground while gas engine particulate does not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times
What about Ford's gas 5.4 engine in a pick-up? Good long lasting engine? I had a 1997 E-150 Ford Van with a 4.6 gas engine and it lasted 16 years before I sold it.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What about Ford's gas 5.4 engine in a pick-up? Good long lasting engine? I had a 1997 E-150 Ford Van with a 4.6 gas engine and it lasted 16 years before I sold it.
Solid. Just don't load it down with four big doors and 4WD and make sure it's old enough to be a 16-valve 5.4L and not the newer POS 24-valve with the cam phasers and whatnot that fall apart inside the engine.

As for the 6.0 v 7.3 part, you're weighing what is likely now packing a Ford reman (or a Bulletproof job) versus overpaying for a 7.3L that's going to have a soft trans and have a ton of miles on it for the price.

Oh well.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The dealer still has this truck and I'm wondering how long will it take them to sell it. I'm going to buy a GMC or Dodge Ram Truck and stay away from Ford diesels.
i wouldnt stay away from all ford diesels, the 6.9 and 7.3 are excellent engines, and the earlier ones had the C6 automatic or the T19 four speed, both tough as nails trannys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sure if you want to pollute as much as you can. Make sure you rev it up a lot around children's playgrounds. Kids love to inhale all that mess. Oh and hope it up, so you can go really fast, so you can see all the smoke and deadly crap coming out of the tailpipes, to tell ALL you want to kill every kid in the hood.
you need to educate yourself on intenal combustion engines, and stop listening to the likes of al gore and others that want to see the internal combustion engine relegated to the ash head of history.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Junk. Unreliable and expensive to fix. Many of them failed way prematurely. Also, doing any serious work on them usually requires removing the cab from the truck to get access--$$$$$$. I love the 6.7 Ford diesel that I drive for my work--I wouldn't own a 6.0 if it was given to me.
Yep. They had serious problems with those. My mom and step dad's was a nightmare. They eventually traded it for a new one with the 6.7 and that was is getting good reports so far.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Thanks for your warnings. I will avoid ANY vehicle that requires the body to be removed to work on the thing. That is a complete absurdity. Watch out for replacing spark plugs in some Ford gasoline engines.

If I ever need a pickup truck I'll go down south and find a Chevy C-10 with a V-8 gas engine (preferably an Olds 350).

Old 03-14-2014, 08:33 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,628,378 times
It can be done without removing the body, it requires a lot of work either way though.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM

459 posts, read 619,431 times
I looked at an F250 with the 6.0 and ended up doing the research.
Seemed to me the 7.3 was an excellent motor with a not great transmission.
The 6.0 could be a lot of trouble but some were completely fine, excellent 5 speed transmission no issues.
The truck I tested had been chipped and pulled like a freight train, excellent fun to drive and thats coming from a Saab 9-5 Aero owner. I only ultimately did not buy it because it was 2wd only.
Bought a cheap Avalanche instead lol

Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thanks for your warnings. I will avoid ANY vehicle that requires the body to be removed to work on the thing. That is a complete absurdity. Watch out for replacing spark plugs in some Ford gasoline engines.

If I ever need a pickup truck I'll go down south and find a Chevy C-10 with a V-8 gas engine (preferably an Olds 350).
actually lifting the body of the ford in some applications is actually the easier way to go, and saves the owner money on labor rates. its no big deal to lift the cab of most any truck, especially these days.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Gotta love the internet. Ford settled a class action lawsuit in combination with other lawsuits to end the constant BS from the morons that modded their trucks and screwed them up. What Ford offered was $200.00 towards an extended warranty to 100,000 miles. The owner had to come up with the rest of the money. Ford replaced no engines, bought back no trucks, in this lawsuit settlement. The offer was accepted by council. I know of nobody that ever claimed any of it. The 6.0, if left alone, is a fine engine and the Navistar Perfomance trucks are living proof as it's the same engine. There are hundreds of thousands of these on the road and many are now hitting the 500,000 mile mark with zero issues. That's what happens when you keep the morons away from the hood.

John, the 5.4 3V engine sucks. Loads of issues with it as has been stated here. If looking for a 5.4, look for a 2V engine and when changing plugs make sure they are torqued to 28lbs absolute. Anything else and the short threads in the heads becomes an issue. Personally, I'd suggest an older truck with a 460 fuel injected. Loads of power and decent fuel economy if you have a clue how to drive- about 15 hiway. There are a few low mileage units out there but you have to look hard and when you find one, buy it- no waiting as they are a popular truck.

It takes a dealer about 20 minutes to pull the cab off of the F series. It cuts labor to work on the engine and any other component under the hood and dash. There's nothing a tech can't get to and makes his job a lot easier and faster. Beats having to fish parts in and out. On some of the models I doubt you can drop a wrench on the engine and it hit the ground.....ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln