Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
It can also be a bad purge valve or a fuel vapor vent valve.

This is what I would suspect also--especially if the OP was previously in the habit of doing the click-click-click maneuver to force extra gas into the tank at each fill-up (topping-off the tank). If this truck was purchased as a used vehicle, the previous owner(s) could have abused the truck in this manner--or any number of other ways.

There is a reason why vehicle manufacturers advise (in the Owner's Manual and on the gas cap in many cases), not to "top-off" the tank, and the reason is that continually doing this will contaminate the carbon canister with liquid gasoline, rather than the vapors that it is designed to deal with.

Topping off the tank can also lead to purge valve problems. For the OP's sake, I hope that the problem is just the purge valve, as that is a relatively cheap fix. However, replacing the carbon canister can sometimes run into a bill of ~$300.

Don't top-off your gas tank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Get a nice long funnel with a metal flex nozzle and a big funnel. You'll spend an extra 15 seconds every fill up which will add up to about an hour or two by the time the Ranger dies of natural causes.
I will see if this works. Rangers last a long time. It may add up top five hours.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Unless it's an old one I wouldn't start taking things apart. My 2007 with 50,000 miles has done that since it was new on certain pumps only. I think it's a design issue with the angle of the tube. Stay away from 76 stations, they almost always do it. I never had trouble with Chevron, Shell, Safeway or Costco. At the AM/PM some pumps do it and others do not. I can get around it by holding the nozzle in tight the whole time.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,355 times
had the same problem with the rear tank on my 84 f150, always thought it was cause the filler hose was kinda to level with no real drop.I just kept a 6x6 timber with a wedge cut on the end and would pull up to the pump put it in front of the rear tire drive up on it and fill up with no probs. people looked at me like I was a redneck nut,and with good reason.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unless it's an old one I wouldn't start taking things apart. My 2007 with 50,000 miles has done that since it was new on certain pumps only. I think it's a design issue with the angle of the tube. Stay away from 76 stations, they almost always do it. I never had trouble with Chevron, Shell, Safeway or Costco. At the AM/PM some pumps do it and others do not. I can get around it by holding the nozzle in tight the whole time.
This is how ours used to be. Now it does not work anywhere and it does not matter what angle or how much you push it in twist it turn it. I kind of look like that guy in the video trying to get gas in. Since the problem got worse, I think it has to be a clogged vent or something.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 954 times
Default Also causing engine shut off?

I had this problem with my 2001 Ranger for the first time this week. Once I finally was able to fill it up, I then had the engine die on me twice just driving down the road. Is it possible the two problems are related?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Have you gone to another station that does not have a rubber boot on the spout? Does it do the same thing?

It can also be a bad purge valve or a fuel vapor vent valve.
Yes, my 2007 Ranger did that but only at 76 stations. At other stations I sometimes had to hold it tight the whole time but at least it would fill. It’s the steep angle of the fill next. When we were out in the boonies where there is no smog control on the pumps, it worked just fine at any station. Now I have an F150 and I have to make sure the pump is in there just right, lift and drop, may take 2-3 tries on these rubber seal pumps.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have an odd problem with a ford Ranger. We cannot put gas in it. Everytime we start to pump gas, the pump shuts off. We used to be able to find an angle to hold the pump handle so it woudl run, but not any more. We end up filling it in 1/10 gallon spurts and we never get more than hald a tank it takes too long.

Is this a common problem with Ford Rangers Anyone have any ideas? It has not been in an accident, not gone off road, not had any major work on it. The probalem existed when we got it, but int he last month or two it has gotten far worse. Now it is ridiculous.
You probably have a clogged vent pipe, as gas is pumped into the tank the displaced air has to be vented if that tube is blocked youll have a hard time getting full fuel flow into the gas tank .the small pipe is the vent pipe =
https://goo.gl/images/AF6rcu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln