Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,656,073 times

Advertisements

Girl Scout cookies, Nutter Butter cookies are OK, food makers say.

Go ahead and order the Girl Scout cookies, even the Do-Si-Dos. And don’t worry about Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups or Nutter Butter cookies, either.

Which snacks are salmonella-safe? - Food safety- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,706,312 times
Its amazing how ppl freak out over salmonella, its not really that big of a deal. PPL should be more concerned with the garbage put into that junk food instead of salmonella. Apparently they would rather die a slow death. The stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,685,242 times
5 deaths and 453 illnesses isn't that big a deal?

Article - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090120-705257.html - broken link)

I agree with watching for everyday garbage they're putting into our food, though. Comapnies are, indeed, cheaping down when it comes to ingredients ... which leads to all these careless contaminations... Quality and quality control = diamonds in the rough.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Its amazing how ppl freak out over salmonella, its not really that big of a deal. PPL should be more concerned with the garbage put into that junk food instead of salmonella. Apparently they would rather die a slow death. The stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Salmonella can kill infants, the elderly and the immune compromised. That has nothing to do with a poor diet. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
5 deaths and 453 illnesses isn't that big a deal?

Article - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090120-705257.html - broken link)

I agree with watching for everyday garbage they're putting into our food, though. Comapnies are, indeed, cheaping down when it comes to ingredients ... which leads to all these careless contaminations...

The flu kills a lot more then that. Seniors, children and ppl with immune disorders will always be more likely to die regardless of what the illness is. Thats the way nature works. For your average person salmonella is no worse then the flu or a stomach virus. To create panic over it is silly.

Now these companies will cheapen down, add another chemichal to their already crap products. Thats what the FDA and consumers should really be concerned with...salmonella is nothing copared to the health problems these ppl will face if they continue to eat that food.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Now these companies will cheapen down, add another chemichal to their already crap products. Thats what the FDA and consumers should really be concerned with....
You are so right! No argument there! They keep on lowering the bar (as far as quality and standards) and we keep on accepting it, not being worried until enough people die from it.
But can't discount this thing, and the people who have died and gotten sick from this latest mess, though. It's pretty bad situation.

Unfortunately, many people will STILL continue to buy these very things the second they see it on the shelves again. The "Well It Could NEVER Happen To Me" syndrome.... (I saw it with the pet food recall, too -- some never switched from the recalled brands and STILL wondered why their animals were suddenly dying from kidney failure!)

I wouldn't trust MSNBC's (or any mainstream media's) "safety endorsements" report above, either because some are probably advertisers -- and a new one can always be added tomorrow. (learned from the pet food recall...)

Last edited by Travel'r; 01-21-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
You are so right! No argument there! They keep on lowering the bar (as far as quality and standards) and we keep on accepting it, not being worried until enough people die from it.
But can't discount this thing, and the people who have died and gotten sick from this latest mess, though. It's pretty bad situation.

Unfortunately, many people will STILL continue to buy these very things the second they see it on the shelves again. The "Well It Could NEVER Happen To Me" syndrome.... (I saw it with the pet food recall, too -- some never switched from the recalled brands and STILL wondered why their animals were suddenly dying from kidney failure!)

I wouldn't trust MSNBC's (or any mainstream media's) "safety endorsements" report above, either because some are probably advertisers -- and a new one can always be added tomorrow. (learned from the pet food recall...)

Like I always say...your the only one who cares about your health. The food manaufacturers don't. The FDA doesn't. The farmers who use pesticides, herbicides, and hormones don't. That means ppl as individuals have to learn to interpurt what a label says or sometimes doesn't say.

The pets are difficult...unfortunately there is not nearly as much quality control for their food. I go to speciality stores to assure they get the best food. I also make them food.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:35 PM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:
The flu kills a lot more then that. Seniors, children and ppl with immune disorders will always be more likely to die regardless of what the illness is. Thats the way nature works. For your average person salmonella is no worse then the flu or a stomach virus. To create panic over it is silly.

Now these companies will cheapen down, add another chemichal to their already crap products. Thats what the FDA and consumers should really be concerned with...salmonella is nothing copared to the health problems these ppl will face if they continue to eat that food.
I don't see why, if you're being treated for cancer and decide to live it up one damned day and eat a Funny Bone cupcake, for old time sake because you remember them from childhood, that you should die for the indiscretion.

If you're a little stronger, you might just be left with Reiter’s Syndrome. Ye-ha!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Like I always say...your the only one who cares about your health. The food manaufacturers don't. The FDA doesn't. The farmers who use pesticides, herbicides, and hormones don't. That means ppl as individuals have to learn to interpurt what a label says or sometimes doesn't say.

The pets are difficult...unfortunately there is not nearly as much quality control for their food. I go to speciality stores to assure they get the best food. I also make them food.

Couldn't agree more!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't see why, if you're being treated for cancer and decide to live it up one damned day and eat a Funny Bone cupcake, for old time sake because you remember them from childhood, that you should die for the indiscretion.

If you're a little stronger, you might just be left with Reiter’s Syndrome. Ye-ha!
Then maybe ppl with such problems should live in a bubble because any virus can kill them. They should also never go out to eat either...lol... The bigger picture here is this will lead to greater denaturing not just of this processed peanut butter plant but of all food on the shelves. In turn killing nutrients, adding toxins and causing all of us to be sick in the long run. Which I think is part of the master plan but thats beyond the scope of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink