Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 12:44 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

I need one pound of bulk SWEET Italian sausage (not links). I just noticed that I purchased bulk MILD Italian sausage (not links).

How can I make the mild taste more like the sweet? Maybe just add some dried basil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 02:10 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
In my local market I see only links labeled mild or hot, don't believe I've ever seen any labeled sweet. I would take mild/sweet to be the same. either that or I'm gonna learn something here.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:23 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Send it to me. I detest so-called "sweet" sausage!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-20-2023 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-20-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In my local market I see only links labeled mild or hot, don't believe I've ever seen any labeled sweet. I would take mild/sweet to be the same. either that or I'm gonna learn something here.
I've seen all three - but usually in the links, not bulk. But I never thought to about if there was a difference between mild and sweet. But I usually use hot.

When I google, some sites say they are the same, some say they are different.

According to Wikipedia, The most common varieties marketed as "Italian sausage" in supermarkets are hot, sweet, and mild. The main difference between hot and mild is the addition of hot red pepper flakes to the spice mix of the former. The difference between mild and sweet is the addition of sweet basil in the latter.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:30 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I need one pound of bulk SWEET Italian sausage (not links). I just noticed that I purchased bulk MILD Italian sausage (not links).

How can I make the mild taste more like the sweet? Maybe just add some dried basil?
That sounds like a good idea if you want to take some action - that is supposed to be the main difference, sweet Italian sausage has the addition of basil. Of course, the basil won't be *in* the sausage, but there's nothing wrong with a little basil in the sauce! Or, you could just consider the switcheroo to be fair play and use the mild sausage as is - I don't think that will hurt anything to do that either... dish will probably taste fine either way, I'd guess.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've seen all three - but usually in the links, not bulk. But I never thought to about if there was a difference between mild and sweet. But I usually use hot.

When I google, some sites say they are the same, some say they are different.

According to Wikipedia, The most common varieties marketed as "Italian sausage" in supermarkets are hot, sweet, and mild. The main difference between hot and mild is the addition of hot red pepper flakes to the spice mix of the former. The difference between mild and sweet is the addition of sweet basil in the latter.

I guess I've never had 'sweet' as I don't recall any sausage with basil. I thought maybe it had somethiung to do with the amount of fennel seed.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2023, 01:46 AM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
The sweet sausage is commonly known as Italian Sausage.

Just use the sausage the same as if it was sweet sausage. Nobody will know or car if it's different.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:32 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
I agree with others who said "mild" and "sweet" are basically the same. The words are used just to distinguish them from "hot" sausage. I make many Italian dishes from oral recipes handed down from my grandmother and aunts and their "recipes" used the words interchangeably. The words seem to be determined by whichever company makes the sausage rather than the ingredients.

Old 04-21-2023, 11:37 AM

Premio makes sweet, hot and mild. Links, bulk and (I think) patties

https://www.premiofoods.com/product-...alian-sausage/ sells sweet, hot and mild.

As does Hillshire.
https://www.hillshirefarm.com/produc...inner-sausage/

I'm still not sure I know the difference. I used what I had (mild) and added dried basil.

Turned out to be a pretty good recipe, albeit kinda fussy to make.

Cooks Country / Americas Test Kitchen Italian Meatloaf. http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/cooks-...atloaf/2910235

Old 04-21-2023, 12:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
I've tried lots of Italian Sausage, I use Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage (bulk, not links) now. I wouldn't worry about using or bother changing what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink