Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM

675 posts, read 644,609 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I like waxy and sugary, myself, for cake icing. But I do love the idea of a croissant with Nutella. Maybe even as a froyo topping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 07:42 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Frozen yogurt. As much sugar as a real dessert without the taste. Pasty sandy consistency with fake flavor similar to the power toothpaste the dental hygienist uses for your bi-annual teeth cleaning, only cold and served with an additional pound of candy and syrup to cover up the real taste.

Pour over coffee. I can be a coffee snob but this is even too frou frou for me. Tastes like stale coffee where someone forgot to filter the grounds and then left old coffee to burn down to the bottom of one of those old Mr. Coffee office coffee machines.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Funny. I like Nutella, but given other options, i'll take those other options. I like it, but I never know what to put it on. Crepes are unstisfying. It wouldn't do as a cake frosting. I don't like to dip things in it.

Pancakes! Like PB, it could be a good pancake topping!

Ice cream. That's overrated. How about fro yo, or maybe cake?
Like hell it is.

I'm going to go eat some now just because you said that.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,246 times
Lobster and pasta noodles of any sort. Asian noodles are ok.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:35 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,514 times
Truffles - they stink and cost almost as much as diamonds. Pigs are trained to look for them in France, but I don't think they even want to eat them - just doing a job they were trained to do and wondering why the heck people like the stinky "black diamonds." The only truffles I like are made out of cacao.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
Another thing I don't get is the love affair with saffron. Yeah, it's labor intensive and therefore costly, but just because something is expensive, does that make it good? Tastes like hay; makes me want to whinny and run around the race track at Pimlico.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:44 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
carbs

Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,514 times
Default Saffron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Another thing I don't get is the love affair with saffron. Yeah, it's labor intensive and therefore costly, but just because something is expensive, does that make it good? Tastes like hay; makes me want to whinny and run around the race track at Pimlico.
Yes, totally agree! I had always wanted to try saffron - so many stories about it, and since I love reading recipes, saffron was a major star in the recipes I wanted to try. The reality fell far short of my saffron dreams. With a pretty name like saffron and the flavors I conjured up in my head, I thought it was going to be great, but saffron taste is weird, kind of gross even, sort of even medicinal. I hated it. It was expensive, too! I had to try it, just to get it out of my system. Now, I avoid recipes that have saffron as an ingredient

Old 01-11-2015, 10:24 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,100 times
Sushi is WAAAAYYYY overrated. I just don't get the whole sushi craze and out here in So Cal there are sushi restaurants on every freaking corner! They're like Starbucks now, I swear. Let's see....I also think that saffron is overrated and Nutella, too. For some reason, Nutella tastes chalky to me and I don't really enjoy it. Oh, and nuts in cookies/fudge/cakes/brownies! People get all gaga about having nuts in these particular desserts and I always leave them out or just don't bother with recipes that call for them.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:40 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Truffles - they stink and cost almost as much as diamonds. Pigs are trained to look for them in France, but I don't think they even want to eat them - just doing a job they were trained to do and wondering why the heck people like the stinky "black diamonds." The only truffles I like are made out of cacao.
Have you eaten truffles? They are great when used properly. I've even put truffle grindings in scrambled eggs . Now, if you're talking about truffle oil - that's some horrible stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink