Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times

Advertisements

I thought soup was so quick and easy and cheap for a fast meal but apparently younger generation is not as interested and profits are down. I know it is just as easy to make my own creamed soups for recipes but still I keep some on hand for a fast dinner for the kids and me when DH is out of town. Have you found yourself not eating as much prepared soup lately?

Campbell's hurting as Millennials turn up noses at canned soup - NBC News.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 PM

19,460 posts, read 27,942,042 times
I don't think it's Cambell's Soup specifically. I think it's all canned goods. Something about cans just isn't appealing anymore.

Maybe it's the tinny taste. Maybe it's the sheer idea of food that has been in the can for who-knows-how-many-years (I stopped eating canned tuna years ago because of that thought). Maybe it's the preference for 'fresh and natural' and canned food sure isn't fresh or natural. Maybe it's the huge availability and variety of better tasting, more healthy frozen foods (I stopped buying canned vegies decades ago in favor of frozen).

Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM

317 posts, read 475,869 times
I haven't bought or eaten Campbell's or any other canned soup for probably ten years or more. As a child, I thought it was okay, but nowadays it all just tastes way too salty and overprocessed to me. I suspect that the Campbell's soups of today are definitely NOT the Campbell's soups of the 1970s and 1980s; they've likely been reformulated and liberally doused with chemicals (much like the rest of our food supply has).

Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times
I agree it is all canned soups but this article is mostly about the profits being down for Campbells. I haven't bought canned veggies in years either. I try to buy fresh during the summer and freeze at home. And I afraid of all tuna these days.

There is nothing more satisfying than a big vat of homemade soup going on a cold winters day. I save all my drips and drabs of pasta, rice, veggies and leftover meats and veggies for my homemade soups. No batch is ever the same.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,753,645 times
I haven't had canned soup in a really long time myself, mostly because I rather make my own. But campbells and others are making recipe helpers that are not too bad if I am in a super hurry.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM

32,706 posts, read 48,291,572 times
Canned soup used to be really cheap. It was fed to kids because it was cheap and easy. I don't have a lot of memories of adults eating it.

It is no longer cheap, so I suspect it has priced itself out of the market.

It isn't really something a small child can prepare, and there are all sorts of no-food-value instant stuff that little kids can do for themselves, including frozen peanut butter sandwiches, so the soup loses on the "easy to feed" scale, too.

I haven't eaten canned soup for decades, but just based up every other product that has removed expensive spices and herbs and substituted cheap salt, I wouldn't be surprised if soup is basically a can of expensive salt water.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:39 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,576,982 times
I don't use them for a few reasons. The first is that they give me digestive issues, I'm guessing from various chemicals/additives. (I've aimed to eat cleanly over the years, and now cannot process many additives.)
The second is that they just don't taste good. Third, we now know that many (most) cans are lined with a substance (BPA) which is harmful. They don't have to use BPA in the can linings, because there are food producers who don't, but those foods cost twice as much.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:39 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,779,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Canned soup used to be really cheap. It was fed to kids because it was cheap and easy. I don't have a lot of memories of adults eating it.

It is no longer cheap, so I suspect it has priced itself out of the market.
I think that a can of the 'good' stuff Not on sale is around $3-3.50. I look at it and think 'No'. I am not paying for that when I can make my own lentil, split pea or 7-bean soup myself that is much more healthy and tasty.

I may buy a can or two for those rare occasions when I am under the weather with the flu. Nothing in my pantry now - so, I guess that I am planning on not getting sick anytime in the near future.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,900,111 times
Campbell's is the worst of the canned soups, imho, and I'm not surprised. IF I'm going to have canned soup on hand, which i do because hubby is not a cook and sometimes there's not left-overs or soup in the freezer for him to make lunch for himself. But I buy him Progresso. No wheat. Why do they have to put wheat in all their canned soups anyway, CAMPBELL'S????

Last edited by mrs.cool; 11-19-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: my fingers didn't type what my brain was saying!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,190,555 times
I don't do Campbells, but sometimes Progresso. Although less so now that they've apparently discontinued their black bean soup. Which I really liked with some added cheese and sriracha sauce.

And as others have pointed out, home-made soup is infinitely cheaper and better than canned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink