Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,501,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Are you whisking them before using them in baking? I don't ever have trouble with them in baking. But I do whisk till frothy to "break" it up.
Funny, I was just watching an old Jacques Pepin cooking show from PBS, and he was working with a bowl of egg whites as an ingredient in something else, and he whisked them for just a moment to "break them up." And the result was that they were much more liquid, and incorporated with the other ingredients more readily as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:27 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,189,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHitchhiker View Post
I may not be an expert chef but I have been cooking since I was 8 and have never had this problem with eggs. Ever since we moved I have had nothing but problems. Here's some examples:
--the yolk is red (blood red)
--the yolk is a solid mass and does not "run" when broken
--the whites are cloudy and VERY thick
--the whites do not blend (meaning after being added to the mix and stirred the whites form a thick blob that pops to the top of the mix and sits there until I take it out with a fork)

What is up with these eggs?????????

Everything I bake is not properly done because of the eggs. Never seen anything like these in all my days. I buy store brand eggs because they only seel those or egg beaters here.
Many of my growing-up years we had free range chickens and I had them for a while as an adult too. As others said, what you describe is typical of fresh, free range eggs. Lucky you!

We used to get what you describe, plus often double yolks, dark or red spots on the yolks, colored shells and yes, the shells, whites and yolks can be very thick and sturdy. This is what "real" eggs are like but most people are only familiar with the tasteless fragile things typically mass produced.

I bet those eggs taste really good.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,790,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Now, I am going to very gently explain to you that the yolk in the eggs never ever turns into a chick.

The yolk is just the "lunch box" of nutrients that a possible embryo will use to feed itself while it grows into a chicken. There is no baby chicken inside OP's breakfast eggs. The color of the yolk is determined by what the hen eats.

I know that. But there is no blood circulation in the yolk of an agg. If the egg's content bleeds, I need to very gently explain to YOU, it is fertilized and on its way to becoming a chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink