Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times

Advertisements

Uh-oh! My 1/2 nicotine patch fell off so I guess that's it! I do have another half left but I figured this one fell off there must be a reason! I sure hope I don't notice going without to much!! So today is my first day of no patch.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
You can do it Cyn-hang tough.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Jacket potato loaded with cheese, sour cream and freshly chopped chives. Accompanied with some left over stuffed pasta from last night

Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I suppose you could do 'em that way, but our favorite is to put a nice big pork roast into a black spatter-ware roasting pan alongside of a couple-three peeled potatoes, some peeled carrots, peeled parsnips, peeled beets, and an onion or two, and roast the whole lot of 'em (covered) at 325 for about 3 hours. The veg get all browned and yummy from the pan drippings, the pork stays heavenly moist and juicy from sitting alongside all the veg, and the result is heaven on a plate.

A nice beef pot roast works well this way also, but there's just something about the flavor of roast pork that seems to be the perfect accompaniment to roast parsnip.

I've seen a couple folks on this forum do 'em up as a mixed roasted veg as well, tossing cut-up chunks of parsnip, potato, celeriac, leek, beets and onions with some olive oil and rosemary and roasting that way. I'm betting they're great that way, too.
MWBW, the beets don't bleed into the other stuff that way??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Morning all and lots of great food speak on here last night.

MWBW-I have the pork chop recipe saved as "Elston's Pork Chops".

Parsnips-great in soups, stews, roasted, braised with pork or beef roast.

Pork steaks are plentiful out here but I've always passed them by-now I'll rethink them.

Tonight-linguine with white clam sauce, crusty bread for Mr. L, salad for me.

Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!
Elston, it looks like you're infamous...I mean FAMOUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Maybe it was the wine? No, guess I am just not good at multi-tasking! Ha! I still am not quite sure how I managed to post that here on this thread?? I must have been jumping back and forth!
I am on day 31 today of no smoking. I feel pretty confident now. Tonight is the last of my half patch so the next couple of days could be grumpy or maybe I won't even notice---I hope I don't notice! Will have to post dinner later---I'm still trying to figure out how I did that game post here! Just checked and I didn't post anything on the game thread! Has to be the cold weather has frozen up my brain!
A whole month, Cyn. Wow. I bet you thought you'd never get this far. Keep it up, lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Let's see, inauguration dinner ingredients for skbs' Diva....

You could serve a salad featuring "Yes, we cantaloupe."

And then check to see if your grocery store has started carrying Ben & Jerry's latest flavor "Yes Pecan" and get that for dessert.

Of course she'll want "Barack-olli" for a vegetable.

Kinda drawing a blank for a main course.... hmmmm. Will go have some coffee to see if that starts the neurons firing any better and will report back.

ETA: Spouse suggests "Yes we cannelloni" for a main course!
These are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Inauguration Menu suggestions:

Subject to CHANGE:

"Jubilee Gravy" with "I Have a Dream" Biscuits
"Green Energy" Greens
"Red and Blue States Steak
"Our County" fried chicken
"Hopeful Hash"

"Refried Campaign Promises served with Crow"

Dessert choices include:

the Half Baked Alaska,
Chocolate McCain Cake,
Clinton Compote with Romney Rum sauce,
Kusinich Kustard,
Huckabee Flambe
Cherries Julianni with a Credit Crunch topping
Cracked Ceiling Glace
"Si Se Pueda" Pudding

Beverages:
Primary Punch
Bitter Tears Tea
Milk of Human Kindness
Elston, as always....a way with words almost as wondrous as that of our soon to be new prez. (((applause)))

Quote:
Uh-oh! My 1/2 nicotine patch fell off so I guess that's it! I do have another half left but I figured this one fell off there must be a reason! I sure hope I don't notice going without to much!! So today is my first day of no patch.
And since it's been a month, you know you can do it. One day at a time.

Not sure what dinner's going to be. DH has a nasty headache. I think skbs sent hers down to him, poor guy. He's been in the recliner now for a couple of hours with a pillow over his head/eyes. It started last night, so I had leftover gravy (Lacey's red sauce) w/meatballs, pork chunks and rigatoni. Tonight will be either chicken breasts (don't know how yet) or veggie pizza from a Boboli crust.

Enjoy your day.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Jacket potato loaded with cheese, sour cream and freshly chopped chives. Accompanied with some left over stuffed pasta from last night
A carb lovers dream. I hope you're willing to share.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
I have a terrific urge for a cheeseburger but hate making them indoors-and there's no grilling out here in winter. We'll see.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Sounds good, Lacey. I'll pick you up and we can find a place that makes great cheezboogers.

I watched Diners, Drive Ins and Dives yesterday - Guy F. showed one of those wonderful looking burgers w/the cheese skirt. I could have licked the tv screen it looked so good!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
A carb lovers dream. I hope you're willing to share.
If you can make it over in time for dinner

Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I have a terrific urge for a cheeseburger but hate making them indoors-and there's no grilling out here in winter. We'll see.
How about a cheese-burger potato pie? It'll make a great meal, and satisfy the cheese burger urge?

It's real easy......Mix a can of Campbells Scotch Broth soup with 1lb of hamburger meat (or turkey). press into a pie dish and bake at 350 for an hour.
remove from oven, top with grated cheddar cheese and then mashed potatoes. return to oven to brown the top of the potatoes.....and then....dinner is served!

I usually serve it with green beans w/bacon. A side salad, and fresh fruit.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
Morning all - as usual you lot are giving me hunger pangs and I only just had breakfast! Lacey - mainly your fault - the thought of a freshly-grilled cheezeburger did it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
Now I'm thinking pork and parsnips...and I've never cooked parsnips before.
There's a thread here on those too! Or let me know how you want to cook them, I have some good recipes
Quote:
Good luck Cyn, I'm sure you'll be just fine - mind over matter!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink