Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,009,563 times

Advertisements

Tonight will be fried potatoes, ham chunks and scrambled eggs topped with left over chili and cheese.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,237,190 times
Tonight will be spaghetti and meatballs, since I have to take the meatballs I'd previously frozen out of the freezer to make more room.

The freezer and fridge are packed with goodies for Thanksgiving. We'll be 11 people here this year, which means I'll be cooking enough for 35-40, since it seems I never know when to stop with the food. (Heaven forbid someone should want more of something and I didn't have it. LOL. I think that may be an ethnic thing.) That makes for a LOT of leftovers.

Last year DH visited his parents while I worked 12 hours on Thanskgiving and went home and passed out from exhaustion afterwards, so this year I want it to be nice. We are having family here this time, a couple of whom are driving far enough to necessitate a sleep over, so we'll be serving breakfast/brunch the next day too.

The two Thanksgivings prior, we "adopted" a senior citizen couple, who had no in state relatives. They had one adult granddaughter out of state they hadn't seen in many years. They had two great grandchildren they hadn't even met. For the first year, we had the couple over for dinner and sent them home with a lot of leftovers. For the following Thanksgiving, we arranged to have their granddaughter and her children fly in and join us for Thanksgiving dinner. What a surprise! There wasn't a dry eye all night.

What I am trying to say is that it is always an adventure here and something is always different. No two holidays are ever the same and there are no real traditions, so they all have to be "perfect".

Old 11-22-2008, 11:37 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,720,230 times
If the DW gets home in time we may have a pot of hurry up chili. It is perfect weather for it. The temp is not going up to anywhere near hot. Currently 67 and may get to 68 but by 5 pm it most likely will nose dive back into the 50's. If not chili maybe I can plant a seed for BLT's. Either way whatever is will be I will let the wife make the decision. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,230,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You know what's good, folks? Tyson Foods makes a very fine chicken nugget with a honey-barbecue glaze. They come under their "Anytizers" series and are usually meant to be appetizers, but they'd make a wonderful main dish, too. I've got a bag and a half of them in my freezer and I think I'm going to get some out and place them on a pie plate and heat them. They are really delicious. That will be my plan tonight --- haven't decided yet what vegetables.

Case44, we love those nuggets!! I also keep a bag in my freezer for those nights that I just don't feel like cooking!!!!

I think we'll have burgers and shoestring fries tonight!! Quick and Easy!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,341 times
I think dinner might just be left over bday cake.... my little one has a headache poor thing..... and the diva is off to her bday party.... my inlaws watched the kids for us while hubby and I shopped for hardwoods today and I was STARVING so we HAD to take a break for lunch LOL I had a great Rueben Wrap and at a local Irish pub so I am not too hungry but that darn Strawberry Shortcake has this little Grin on her face that I need to WIPE OFF! LOL.... So, I thought I might take care of that with a little knife and fork..... And call it dinner..... And I will make the little one anything her little heart desires later.... Hope you are all having a lovely Saturday.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,345,432 times
Afternoon, all - taking a bit of a break between all the errands and chores this weekend to sit down and catch up with my foodie friends. Happy B-day to the Diva and to Elston's niece - hope that all the celebrations are fun!

We've managed to get a pretty good start on our pre-Thanksgiving list of chores today. Went by the community center and dropped off all the fixings for four complete Thanksgiving dinners plus a check for their annual Thanksgiving Basket drive, picked up our CSA box, actually braved the grocery store for a few things we needed today, and then tackled housecleaning. Most of the house is at least close to ready for the holiday now, though we still need to mop the kitchen floor. We'll do that tomorrow, as this evening's plans are likely to result in plenty to mop up.

The daughter, her sig-other, and sig-other's daughter (9 years old) will be over in half an hour or so for an evening of home-made pizza. Daughter's sig-other enjoys cooking a lot, too, but has never been happy with the outcome when he tries making home-made pizza, so he requested a lesson from the master (that would be my spouse, of course). The spouse started the dough for the crust about three hours ago, and is currently simmering up the tomato sauce. We've got a vast assortment of toppings, and once the kids arrive, we'll put the pizza stones in the oven and start it heating. Everyone can make their own pizza with their own choice of toppings. Most likely we'll get out the Scrabble board for a game after supper.

I'm hoping that the Packers have a game tomorrow, because if you live in Wisconsin, that's the best time in the world to go shopping. Even four days before Thanksgiving, the stores are almost completely empty. We don't need much more for the big day itself, but there's all the usual weekly stuff, and I'd prefer not to have to fight my way through the crowds when we go. Will have to check the television schedule, if I can find it; not being either a TV fan or a football fan, I'm kind of clueless about these things.

Have a good afternoon, all, hope your turkey-day plans come together beautifully!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Afternoon, all - taking a bit of a break between all the errands and chores this weekend to sit down and catch up with my foodie friends. Happy B-day to the Diva and to Elston's niece - hope that all the celebrations are fun!

We've managed to get a pretty good start on our pre-Thanksgiving list of chores today. Went by the community center and dropped off all the fixings for four complete Thanksgiving dinners plus a check for their annual Thanksgiving Basket drive, picked up our CSA box, actually braved the grocery store for a few things we needed today, and then tackled housecleaning. Most of the house is at least close to ready for the holiday now, though we still need to mop the kitchen floor. We'll do that tomorrow, as this evening's plans are likely to result in plenty to mop up.

The daughter, her sig-other, and sig-other's daughter (9 years old) will be over in half an hour or so for an evening of home-made pizza. Daughter's sig-other enjoys cooking a lot, too, but has never been happy with the outcome when he tries making home-made pizza, so he requested a lesson from the master (that would be my spouse, of course). The spouse started the dough for the crust about three hours ago, and is currently simmering up the tomato sauce. We've got a vast assortment of toppings, and once the kids arrive, we'll put the pizza stones in the oven and start it heating. Everyone can make their own pizza with their own choice of toppings. Most likely we'll get out the Scrabble board for a game after supper.

I'm hoping that the Packers have a game tomorrow, because if you live in Wisconsin, that's the best time in the world to go shopping. Even four days before Thanksgiving, the stores are almost completely empty. We don't need much more for the big day itself, but there's all the usual weekly stuff, and I'd prefer not to have to fight my way through the crowds when we go. Will have to check the television schedule, if I can find it; not being either a TV fan or a football fan, I'm kind of clueless about these things.

Have a good afternoon, all, hope your turkey-day plans come together beautifully!
Sounds like a fun night! Enjoy!!!! (don't worry I am clueless about football as well and I have a ton of fans coming over tomorrow )

Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,537,140 times
You're out of luck, the Packers are playing Monday night.

Maybe you can shop then.

NFL Schedule: Regular Season

Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,720,230 times
The DW has decided on dinner. I am in total agreement with her decision. She is fixing a kielbasa, corn, and cabbage casserole with some cucumbers and onions in Italian salad dressing. If I stay out of the way she just might fix the pumpkin pudding pie. I think I will stay right here out of her way.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,345,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You're out of luck, the Packers are playing Monday night.

Maybe you can shop then.

NFL Schedule: Regular Season
Aw, shucks! But thanks for the info - I might have known that a Texan could help me out! That's a state that loves their football at least as much as most of Wisconsin does. We're just the oddballs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.