Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Freezing actually does something that makes chili better. One of the few things I think that about. I think it breaks down the spices into a more robust flavor. Bet if ya tried it on him he would never know the diff. Work of caution. It gets hotter after being frozen. 3 alarm now equals 4 alarm.
I can totally attest to this. If my dh gets his hands on the chili, 5 alarm turns to 15 alarm after being in the freezer. (This is of course why I have taken over the chili making in the family. LOL)

Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
my hubby won't eat anything that has "aged" in the freezer.... if he hears it has been defrosted you should see how his face twists in disgust.... I have to use left overs in two or three days.... I can never make MASS quantities.... I wish I could....
I can freeze my gravy, soups-but never frozen meat-he makes the same face.

Amber-what a kitchen angel you are!!!

Looks like we're headed to a chili week-LOL.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
DH made the face about frozen meat, but I guess he gave up, or cheapness won over picky sensibilities. I buy meat on sale, freeze it, and he eats it with gusto now.

Again, maybe his mom fed him meat that had been frozen for months? I try to use it up within a couple of months.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post

Looks like we're headed to a chili week-LOL.
I bought more makings today.. I'll eat from the freezer and then make a replacement batch for standby. We only get a day now and then when it is cool enough to be really chili weather. You must have a plan and be ready.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:55 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
DH made the face about frozen meat, but I guess he gave up, or cheapness won over picky sensibilities. I buy meat on sale, freeze it, and he eats it with gusto now.

Again, maybe his mom fed him meat that had been frozen for months? I try to use it up within a couple of months.
LOL I know that is the case for my guy.... One day we were over there and my MIL was back from doing her HUGE shopping at BJ's and she was making room in her freezer...so, we came at a really BAD time. As you all know she is Italian... now I have learned that older Italian women have a hard time throwing away food.... something I have picked up on from my friends and inlaws... so we go over and she has this cake in the freeze and she says "I need to make space take this home... Do you need hot dog rolls? How about some sausages? Here I made up some of these meatballs a while back..." I was stoked I thought I didn't have to cook for like three weeks.... My husband was rolling his eyes..... we get home and I go to town defrosting dinner.... IT WAS DISGUSTING! Then I look at the expiration dates! The hotdog buns were almost like 9 months old! Lord Knows how old the cake was after that I was just chucking stuff into the dumpster and Hubby was rolling on the floor laughing.... no wonder why he doesn't like defrosted food.... but I am so OCD about cleaning out my freezer and making space.... he should know better.... but nope.....

Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Corned beef and cabbage tonight.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Freezing actually does something that makes chili better. One of the few things I think that about. I think it breaks down the spices into a more robust flavor. Bet if ya tried it on him he would never know the diff. Work of caution. It gets hotter after being frozen. 3 alarm now equals 4 alarm.

I like lasagna better after its frozen and reheated. (I won't eat the stuff in a box though )

Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Well my soup is simmering on the stove, kind of a cheater soup. I had frozen chicken stock in the freezer (watch out freezer haters, lol) I added some more broth to it, sauteed some celery, carrots and onion, threw them in the pan with the major cheater ingredient (shh don't tell anyone) canned chicken. Soup smells and tastes wonderful. I also just got done making dumplings for days, so dinner is all set for when hubby and #1 son get home from karate class.

Can't wait. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
We are having Meat and Potatoe Soup with bread sticks. It is windy today which makes it kinda chilly so it will taste good.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebette View Post
We went to Panera Bread for our lunch celebration and both of us had the "1/2 salad and 1/2 sandwich" special!! However, before leaving, we purchased two of the bread bowls to bring home and our 'leftover' Taco Soup from Saturday night, will be extra special tonight because we'll heat up the bread bowls and serve the soup in them!! YUMMY!!!!!

Hubby was standing at the counter drooling over their cinnamon buns and muffins, so I bought him one of each!! I wonder how long it will take before he sneaks into the kitchen!!!
Lucky duck!!! Man we miss Panera, so much that we looked up some recipes on their website and made them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink