Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

I use a lot of frozen berries (blue berries and cherries) in breakfast foods, etc., and I'm wondering what others do in terms of washing the berries before using.

We all know that fresh berries are loaded with pesticides unless they are organic, and organic berries need to be washed as well before using.

Some frozen berries say "washed" on the package, and I've gone back and forth between rinsing them before using and not. On other frozen packages, nothing is mentioned about the fruit being washed. Rinsing frozen fruit results in the loss of a lot of the juice. I often use Costco's frozen blueberries which say "washed" on the package, but after thawing, there seems to be some grit in the bottom of the bowl.

Anyone have thoughts about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I never wash frozen fruit/veggies. They are washed before freezing. Some fruits are coated with sugar, some veggies are coated with seasonings and gravy/sauce.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
I don't wash any frozen fruit or veggies because they wash them before freezing.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
It never even crossed my mind to wash frozen produce, and I use it virtually every day for breakfast smoothies (drinking one now). I know it all is washed before packaging.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I can't imagine why anyone would want to wash frozen anything. In the process of preparation, prior to freezing they have been washed. It isn't like buying produce that is fresh. In fact it isn't even necessary to wash the pre- packaged salad mix, but I have to admit I usuall still do...

Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM

218 posts, read 483,314 times
After reading these posts, I guess I'm germaphobe. lol I wash everything before I cook with it. I have worked in several restaurants and we always had to wash everything before using it, so I guess it rubbed off on me.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would want to wash frozen anything. In the process of preparation, prior to freezing they have been washed. It isn't like buying produce that is fresh. In fact it isn't even necessary to wash the pre- packaged salad mix, but I have to admit I usuall still do...
I wash the organic washed lettuce that comes in the plastic box, Earthbound, though I probably don't need to.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
It never even crossed my mind to wash frozen produce, and I use it virtually every day for breakfast smoothies (drinking one now). I know it all is washed before packaging.
That's what I assumed too. The question came up for me when I bought some Trader Joe's frozen blueberries and the package never mentioned whether they were washed or not. And then the Costco blueberries say they are washed, but after they thaw out, there seems to be some grit in the bottom of the bowl.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I wash everything. At this point it's compulsive because I don't think I could not wash if you know what i mean.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 24,152 times
Blueberries are continually on the Dirty Dozen list - those fruits and vegetables that are laden with pesticides. It is best to buy those that have been grown organically. If you pick your own at a blueberry farm, they will tell you to never wash them before freezing as it compromises the texture. They say when you want to use them you should rinse them before they thaw. I can't imagine that you could effectively remove the pesticides that way. I think its best to buy organic. Or grow your own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink