Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times

Advertisements

For those wanting a healthier version of bouillon cubes instead of buying the chicken and beef ones.. there are vegetarian versions of the chicken and beef, they taste just like them, but have no meat in them. They can be found at any health food store and in the nutrition aisles of regular supermarkets near the soups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 04:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Rather than bouillon, you can just make your own broth.
I only do this with chicken or turkey, though.
Whenever we have either of those, I always simmer the carcass with onion, celery and carrots, and it makes a nice soup base. Then I freeze it until needed; I usually don't season it until I actually make the stew or soup.

Bouillon cubes can be kinda salty. I have seen the vegetarian cubes and the no-salt ones looked good but I haven't tried them.

I agree that making your own salad dressing is easy and much better than store bought, esp for a simple vinaigrette, but I like the Paul Newman brands and do buy them.
Quote:
Forget the yogurt unless you want it for a treat. Taking acidophilous by itself is much better for you because you get the health benefits of without having to eat the dairy itself (which is not good for you like most people want to think)
Plain, unsweetened yogurt is never going to be on my bad list.
People have been eating yogurt for literally centuries.
Plain yogurt offers health benefits in addition to the acidophilus: it is easier to digest than milk and is a good source of calcium as well as protein.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I'm a Stouffers nut. I have to eat small portions and they are just right. They make a good vegetable Lasagna and a chicken Lasagna. I do love peanut butter, but buy natural with salt, yes you have to stir it and stuff, but it is really, really good, even the Smuckers brand. Annies mac and cheese is good too, my DD and I were hooked on that for a while. Eating healthy and organic is much more expensive too.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
[quote=HIF;1728687]Although I poke fun at some of those who feel the need to be thread downers on this forum, taking a positive thread about something someone likes and accusing them of being anti-Christian or morons for liking a particular food, I think it would be helpful, instead, to post your alternatives.

For instance, I posted a thread on Triscuits. Instead of saying all that is wrong with them health-wise, alternatives can be posted here.

Here are some of the foods that my family eats that probably are on some bad list or other. What are same-type alternatives that I could try? Brand names, please, when possible.

Tricuits!

Wheat Thins

Everyone is different...I seriously doubt anyone suffered a fatal heart attack from Triscuits,

I love tofu and stay away from processed meat- anyone see that report on Topps beef patties in the US? omg- we dont even know whats in them....

Avoid corn syrup, fructose and refined flour. Vegetables, fresh not canned..... NO fried food (I learned this while living in the heartland, and see 19 year olds with heart problems from eating fried junk)

After awhile, you can wean yourself off things- I used to love chocolate, now I dont touch it.....If you visit health food stores they have very tasty rice crisps with sea salt by Eden foods.....very good and healthy snack.

sunny

Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Substitute sardines for tuna, a bit more expensive but tuna has 20 to 40 times the amount of mercury and or PCBs than sardines. I like Reese's skinless and boneless sardines. They are like little mini tuna fillets in a can !

Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
I haven't had sardines in years...We ate Kipper Snacks all the time as kids. My kids and I will try Reeces. I do love a good tuna steak now and then, however...

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Although I poke fun at some of those who feel the need to be thread downers on this forum, taking a positive thread about something someone likes and accusing them of being anti-Christian or morons for liking a particular food, I think it would be helpful, instead, to post your alternatives.

For instance, I posted a thread on Triscuits. Instead of saying all that is wrong with them health-wise, alternatives can be posted here.

Here are some of the foods that my family eats that probably are on some bad list or other. What are same-type alternatives that I could try? Brand names, please, when possible.

Tricuits!

Wheat Thins

Skippy Peanut Butter (have tried organic and don't care for it)

Cavit Pinot Grigio (Uncle Cavit to some )

7-Seasons Italian Salad Dressing

Stouffer frozen mac and cheese (we add steamed broccoli)

Stouffer frozen corn souffle

Totinos frozen pizza

Banquet frozen chicken divan

I will start with some of the changes that I have made-

Milk, 2%- now only buy organic 2%, which actually tastes more like whole milk. I can't keep it in the house, my kids and I love it.

Eggs- I now buy organic. Taste eggier for breakfast and no dif. in cooking.

Chickens- now buy organic and they roast up much nicer, taste many times better.

Chicken and beef broth- used to buy boullion cubes until mad cow and a friend who works for ag department warned against it. Now I buy organic stock.

Yogurt- so much garbage out there. I've been getting those Activa-types lately for convenience. Also go through a lot of plain yogurt, for cooking and we add fruit for breakfast. But I need to dig out my yogurt maker- so quick and easy and always tastes better.
What about Cheez-its? I don't see any Cheez-its on the list. How can you live without Cheez-its????

Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Kashi has cheese crackers that look alot like cheezits and taste like them too. Healthier than cheez-its.
Also Annies little bunny crackers, same thing. Cute little bunnies instead of boring little squares.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What about Cheez-its? I don't see any Cheez-its on the list. How can you live without Cheez-its????
Love white cheddar!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
From what I hear all cheddar is white naturally. They dye it yellow for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink