Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:49 AM

878 posts, read 2,739,119 times

Advertisements

Just treated myself to two of these great pots...were on my list all my life and finally. So I have made braised short ribs in them...what else do you suggest? Primarily looking for things that go from stove to oven.
I have the French Oven Oval and the 6 quart one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
I've fallen in love with Le Creuset also. I have the 3.5 qt braiser and the 7.2 qt dutch oven (round).

I make chili and soup in the dutch oven, among other things.

I recently made a braised chicken recipe that was flavored with soy and lemon. That was yum!

Another well-known braise is chicken cacciatore. (sp?)

Another favorite for me is making a stew with chuck roast, onions, celery, and mushrooms. You sop up the brown-red wine flavored gravy with french bread.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 PM

878 posts, read 2,739,119 times
mmmmhhhhh...thanks...just in love with these pots and serving in them as well...my round 6 quart is yellow and I made this great cajun chicken pasta in it and served it straight from the pot....made me so happy.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Great buy!!! Congratulations!
You can cook anything in it that you'd normally put in a pot. The LeCrueset just does it better. You will have to learn to adjust the heat source, though (generally that means cooking on a lower flame) because the cast-iron retains heat. But other than that you'll love your new toy.
Soup, stew, roast, bread ( yes!!) : http://www.momj47.com/recipes/almost...ad%20bread.pdf
risotto, gumbo and chili; you can do all the searing and simmering in one pot.
Recipes for entree, appetizer, dessert & more | Le Creuset

... and remember: always wash when pot is cool, do not fill hot pot with cold water,

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,764 times
We have an 8 qt. oval French oven. I intentionally try to come up with dishes that can be made in that pot. I made some braised pork chops in it most recently. They came out great!. I have braised chicken and tenderloin in it as well. I have also done a spicy lentil soup in it. It is a great pot to have in your kitchen arsenal.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:27 AM

993 posts, read 767,693 times
Default Splurge....Le Creuset braiser 3.5 qt or 5 qt? Advice please

At 59, I’m finally going to buy my first piece of Le Creuset cookware. I’ve done the research and have decided that the braiser would be the best piece to own if I can only purchase one piece. I might buy the French oven next year....we'll see.

I have a new induction cooktop. I cook for just me and my husband most of the time but I like leftovers and I freeze a good bit. We do entertain occasionally.

The 5 qt. seems big but the 3.5 qt. might not be big enough. I don’t like to crowd my meat when browning....and I like the idea of having enough surface space to spread vegetables out with the meat.

Does anyone have the LC braiser? What size worked best for you? Thanks.

Last edited by homeonthelittlemountain; 02-03-2018 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 07:43 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,610,335 times
I tend to go with bigger b/c I also don't like to crowd my meat and like to cook enough for leftovers. However, with Le Creuset, weight can be an issue. I would go to a kitchen store that has both in stock and try lifting and moving each one around a bit to see if the big one is easy enough to handle for cooking and cleanup. If you need a block & tackle to get it out of the sink, maybe it's not the right one

Old 02-03-2018, 07:47 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,314,362 times
Get the 5qt, you are correct in thinking that the 3.5 will be too small. I cook for two most of the time as well and I cook a large meal for two, meaning I always have leftovers, on purpose. My cookware set had a gap that needed filling because the 3.5qt was too small for my needs in general. I purchased a 5.5qt to fill the gap between 3 and 8qt vessels, it is my "go to" now.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
The larger size for sure. We are only 2 of us, but I still like the larger size. That being said, I have to admit, I have had 2 pieces of Le Creuset and been a little disappointed. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think they were worth the price I paid. Good luck and enjoy it this is something you have wanted for years.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,751,302 times
I don’t have a braiser but I have the 9 qt. LC Dutch oven and it’s the best. I also have a Staub french oven and the rest of my cookware is All Clad.
The LC is rapidly becoming my favorite. Will be getting more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink