Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,734,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My problem is that my oven doesn't get hot enough to cook a pizza the way it's supposed to be cooked. Most ovens don't; a good pizza oven like the one at my local mom and pop gets up to 800F. My home oven doesn't get that hot. The difference is I don't get that nice char on the crust that I like.
I feel the same about the take and bakes. We have two in town that have the stone baked pizza, which USUALLY means it hotter temps, but not always. Problem is one is still crap and the other is super expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 AM

For an update, now both papa johns and pizza hut added a $10 permanent large three topping pizza to their regular menu. Even more surprising, my local Little Ceasars sells pizza for $3.99 on monday.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 AM

24,602 posts, read 33,561,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I don't want more than two toppings. In fact, a cheese pizza is primo! Yeah, a pizza with lots of toppings is great sometimes, but not all the time!
Yes, sometimes I want a pizza with just cheese. Like the one below (Ameci, thin crust).

Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,760,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know. I wonder how they do it and maintain quality. Surely quality must suffer at some stage, but again it is no worse than any other pizza chain so I guess they are all overcharging us.
I do not know how the quality can suffer much, as I would rank PH, PJ (and Dominos for that matter) at pretty much near the bottom of the ladder in terms of quality. All three serve up fairly mediocre pizza and even $10 isn't worth it in my opinion (and I worked for two of those 3 comapnies at one point in my life).

I also prefer to make my own. But if we do go out for pizza, we have a local place up the street (3 locations in town total) - a large 3-topping and a dozen garlic knots runs about $25. Their pizza is simply awesome. I'd rather pay for quality, then save money on garbage.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM

124 posts, read 316,680 times
We recently ordered using one of the online coupon codes from Papa Johns (The works/ Everything pizza) There were BARELY any toppings on there. I mean it was threadbare, like 5 pieces of pepperoni on the entire large pizza etc. It was sad. I was sad.

Also, I heard that in MD, due to the football game you can get 4 free toppings on the pizza tonight? If anyone wants pizza and is in the area, there you go

Old 10-04-2010, 04:12 PM

17,661 posts, read 39,517,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I do not know how the quality can suffer much, as I would rank PH, PJ (and Dominos for that matter) at pretty much near the bottom of the ladder in terms of quality. All three serve up fairly mediocre pizza and even $10 isn't worth it in my opinion (and I worked for two of those 3 comapnies at one point in my life).

I also prefer to make my own. But if we do go out for pizza, we have a local place up the street (3 locations in town total) - a large 3-topping and a dozen garlic knots runs about $25. Their pizza is simply awesome. I'd rather pay for quality, then save money on garbage.
I couldn't agree more. I can make a SPECTACULAR large custom pizza for about $5.00, so I can't bring myself to pay $18.00 or more for pizza when you never really know how good it will be. And yes, that PH and Dominos and Hungry Howie, etc. is absolute garbage - taste like cardboard with flavorless tomato sauce on it.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I couldn't agree more. I can make a SPECTACULAR large custom pizza for about $5.00, so I can't bring myself to pay $18.00 or more for pizza when you never really know how good it will be. And yes, that PH and Dominos and Hungry Howie, etc. is absolute garbage - taste like cardboard with flavorless tomato sauce on it.
Usually people complain about too much sugar and spices in the sauce. The "elite" pizza place often omit nearly all spices. The cheese and oven IMO would be largest factor of flavor.

If you use fresh mozzarella and grate it yourself, you're heads and shoulders above 99% of all pizza joints including mom and pops most use inferior cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink